2024 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 28 - 30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
chrisc90

Re: 2024 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 28 - 30

Stu wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 11:46
TimW wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 10:17
Stu wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 09:17

?? Doesn’t that just make it more difficult to read ??
I was just hoping your post was meant as sarcasm, or trolling. You might have noticed his rear tire blew, which does have a non-negligible impact on the cornering ability of an F1 car.

I guess your 'blatantly tries to force of the track' refers to MV suddenly opening his steering. But that is simply a reaction to his rear tire popping of the rim, as is clearly visible in the footage.

I blame MV for the overly aggressive defending, which ultimately resulted in the collision. But the accusation that he used his car as a weapon is ridiculous.
No, Tim. It was the move along the following straight as LN attempted to pass the obviously damaged MV.
The racing was hard (as I said - borderline…), but that move was deliberate. At that point LN still looked to have an intact car and his tyre had not yet started to shred.

Max was getting off the racing line out the way of the alpines.

If lando believed his car was still ok at the time, why would you overtake a visibly damaged red bull off the racing line? Makes no sense

organic

DDopey
DDopey

So the week after, the drivers get a say, and almost unanimous (as far as I can find and read) find the 10 sec. penalty too much. But leave it to the British F1 press to chastise Max.

hollus

chrisc90 wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 11:53
Stu wrote:
TimW wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 10:17

I was just hoping your post was meant as sarcasm, or trolling. You might have noticed his rear tire blew, which does have a non-negligible impact on the cornering ability of an F1 car.

I guess your 'blatantly tries to force of the track' refers to MV suddenly opening his steering. But that is simply a reaction to his rear tire popping of the rim, as is clearly visible in the footage.

I blame MV for the overly aggressive defending, which ultimately resulted in the collision. But the accusation that he used his car as a weapon is ridiculous.
No, Tim. It was the move along the following straight as LN attempted to pass the obviously damaged MV.
The racing was hard (as I said - borderline…), but that move was deliberate. At that point LN still looked to have an intact car and his tyre had not yet started to shred.

If lando believed his car was still ok at the time, why would you overtake a visibly damaged red bull off the racing line? Makes no sense
If you look in Max's onboard, after the crash, his head movements are to check the mirrors on where Lando is. His car is drifting to the right (agree, 3 wheels will do things to alignment), and despite that, his wheel is consistently turned slightly to the right.
Only after Lando has been blocked, he turns his attention (and his steering wheel) slightly left, where the Alpine was.
Frankly, watching live, I got vibes of Schumacher crashing into Hill in 1994. The first move felt the same, the second move on Hill was missing, though.
Rivals, not enemies.

Cassius
Cassius

hollus wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 19:25
chrisc90 wrote:
Stu wrote:

If you look in Max's onboard, after the crash, his head movements are to check the mirrors on where Lando is. His car is drifting to the right (agree, 3 wheels will do things to alignment), and despite that, his steering wheel is consistently turned slightly to the right.
Only after Lando has been blocked, he turns his attention (and eventually his steering wheel) slightly left, where the Alpine was.
Frankly, watching live, I got vibes of Schumacher crashing into Hill in 1994. The first move felt the same, the second move on Hill was missing, though.
Wow. What a statement.

Can we please have less biased moderators on this forum.

hollus

Can we please learn to accept other people's opinions for what they are? They are the opinions of other people. That is the point of a forum. Why turn on the poster? If you don't want to hear what others have to say, why be here?
Rivals, not enemies.

chrisc90

hollus wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
Stu wrote:

If you look in Max's onboard, after the crash, his head movements are to check the mirrors on where Lando is. His car is drifting to the right (agree, 3 wheels will do things to alignment), and despite that, his wheel is consistently turned slightly to the right.
Only after Lando has been blocked, he turns his attention (and his steering wheel) slightly left, where the Alpine was.

I dont think Max made it intentional at all. Side by side at the same point. Only thing is its not slowed down

cheeRS
cheeRS

chrisc90 wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 20:33
hollus wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

I dont think Max made it intentional at all. Side by side at the same point. Only thing is its not slowed down
It looks completely intentional to me. He looked to where Lando was, and moved over to cover him.

That said, that type of move is par for the course for racing drivers, ie, you see your rival coming, you move over to block them, damaged car or otherwise.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

bluechris

hollus wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
Stu wrote:

We all saw that.

Jurgen von Diaz

Just_a_fan wrote:
Stu wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 07:41
My only contribution to this is that they were both racing & it danced around the bounds of what is permitted…
Until after the big contact…
At that point MV blatantly tries to (and succeeds!) force LN off of the track, in full knowledge of his own car being damaged (tyre off rim) & not knowing whether LN’s car was (at that point it didn’t look as though LN knew that he was about to suffer a puncture). That should have been an immediate DSQ with points.
Using the car as a weapon!
I agree. Max's actions to deliberately block Lando at that point, including crowding off the track, should have warranted a further penalty.
Lando crowding Max off the track in Barcelona. So now they're even.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 21:54
Just_a_fan wrote:
Stu wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 07:41
My only contribution to this is that they were both racing & it danced around the bounds of what is permitted…
Until after the big contact…
At that point MV blatantly tries to (and succeeds!) force LN off of the track, in full knowledge of his own car being damaged (tyre off rim) & not knowing whether LN’s car was (at that point it didn’t look as though LN knew that he was about to suffer a puncture). That should have been an immediate DSQ with points.
Using the car as a weapon!
I agree. Max's actions to deliberately block Lando at that point, including crowding off the track, should have warranted a further penalty.
That's not how things work. 2 wrongs don't make a right.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jurgen von Diaz

Just_a_fan wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 21:54
Just_a_fan wrote: I agree. Max's actions to deliberately block Lando at that point, including crowding off the track, should have warranted a further penalty.
That's not how things work. 2 wrongs don't make a right.
No it doesn't. But how can you demand a penalty for Max but not for Lando in a similar situation, especially when Lando's was far more dangerous.