2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
rayden
rayden

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season (yes this includes ALO and VET too!

spin1/2 wrote:
Juzh wrote:
SectorOne wrote:This is a golden ticket for Mercedes,

- Red Bull lost Vettel and will lose Newey from his current position, addition of a somewhat inexperienced driver that was the 2nd best STR driver.
Wasn't it said Newey will still 100% design RB11?
Yes, Newey will design it. But he won't contribute to in-season development.
While the car may start the season good, there is no guarantee it will remain there through the season.
he was interviewed by ONE before the start at suzuka & he said he will still be directly involved in the RB cars for many years come, hes just been given a lot more flexibility now, and other designers below him more responsibility.

djos

rayden wrote: he was interviewed by ONE before the start at suzuka & he said he will still be directly involved in the RB cars for many years come, hes just been given a lot more flexibility now, and other designers below him more responsibility.
That was my understanding too! 8)
"In downforce we trust"

WaikeCU

Sounds more like Newey is the sensei and he wants to setup a learning path for his co-designers/students at Red Bull and carry over parts of his thoughts, views, skills and genius ideas. Newey thinks of Red Bull's future, that's for sure!

mikeerfol

This silly season is so silly, just give us some announcements!!

:lol:

bauc

mikeerfol wrote:This silly season is so silly, just give us some announcements!!

:lol:

YES, JUST DO IT ALREADY, we are dying here :lol:
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

SectorOne

rayden wrote:he was interviewed by ONE before the start at suzuka & he said he will still be directly involved in the RB cars for many years come, hes just been given a lot more flexibility now, and other designers below him more responsibility.
It´s definitely going the be less then what it is now because he´s effectively dropping some focus on F1 to put on other stuff.
Seems to me he will get a Rory Byrne type role.
Red Bull say Newey will "work on new projects, as well as advising and mentoring the F1 team".

"What I'd like to do is step back and become an adviser and mentor to the engineers."
"We'll look at the engineering structure we have now and renew the team later in the year and that will give me the space to get on with some other things."
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/27755688
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

CptPeanut
CptPeanut

And yet another load of speculation to add to the silly season mixing pot:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116226

iotar__

CptPeanut wrote:And yet another load of speculation to add to the silly season mixing pot:

Rather reliable (team sources) and makes sense as a possibility. At the same time it may be just negotiating tactic from all sides. "I can go to McL", "Fine, we can hire Alonso", "So how much?". The interesting part would be Hamilton not signing an extension, which I think will happen, and driving in 2015 for Merc.

Let's say LH comes back to McL in 2016: why would the length of a contract (Alonso-McL) be a problem then? McLaren doesn't need them both and releases Alonso to Merc.

WaikeCU

iotar__ wrote:
CptPeanut wrote:And yet another load of speculation to add to the silly season mixing pot:

Rather reliable (team sources) and makes sense as a possibility. At the same time it may be just negotiating tactic from all sides. "I can go to McL", "Fine, we can hire Alonso", "So how much?". The interesting part would be Hamilton not signing an extension, which I think will happen, and driving in 2015 for Merc.

Let's say LH comes back to McL in 2016: why would the length of a contract (Alonso-McL) be a problem then? McLaren doesn't need them both and releases Alonso to Merc.
Wouldn't that also mean, that Mclaren is now only thinking of a short term solution? If long term, then Vettel would be my guess. A new chapter with Vettel and Honda. Would be nice if Magnussen and Hulkenberg could switch. Magnussen hasn't wow'ed me so far this season.

bauc

OK, so If Alonso is still under negotiations with Mclaren on possible deal, why don't we at least have confirmation regarding Vettel - I'm sure Vettel did not leave RedBull before sining a deal with other team.... C'mon teams - give us something
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

erlik
erlik

Vettel buying Ferrari California to his father this year, was maybe pre-contract gift :)

WaikeCU

Imagine this situation: :D

1) Vettel leaves Red Bull, because he wants to go to Ferrari.
2) Ferrari tells their drivers that Vettel is going to join the team next season.
3) Kimi looks to Alonso and shrugs.
4) Alonso becomes furious and knocks on the door at Mclaren
5) Ron Dennis negotiates a deal with Alonso.
6) Both parties can't find the right deal.
7) Vettel arrives and sees both Alonso and Kimi.
8 ) Vettel and Alonso look at Kimi.
9) Kimi shrugs.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Maybe Vettel's destination hasn't been disclosed because there isn't one. He's bored, taking a sabbatical, or perhaps just retiring young like Casey Stoner.

Obviously I do not consider this possibility to be remotely likely though.

xDama
xDama

Fulcrum wrote:Maybe Vettel's destination hasn't been disclosed because there isn't one. He's bored, taking a sabbatical, or perhaps just retiring young like Casey Stoner.

Obviously I do not consider this possibility to be remotely likely though.
Not going to happen with Vettel. But Alonso... well that just may be another case. This interview from a couple of months ago certainly shows his frustration with F1 these days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ4i_5ECnpA
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna