Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Renault R31

What do you think of this ?

Mandrake
Mandrake

I guess the Beam wing is stabilised on the crash structure, nothing more than that. Or do you talk about the heat stickers?

The Thorn
The Thorn

Not only the stickers there, but also at the outside of the rearwing-endplate. Maybe they have re-routed the exhausts like Red-Bull?

Mandrake
Mandrake

The Thorn wrote:Not only the stickers there, but also at the outside of the rearwing-endplate. Maybe they have re-routed the exhausts like Red-Bull?
The temp stickers have been discussed for a while now, even with the FEE there will be exhaust gases flowing through the ebd area. That's measured with the temp stickers.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

I imagine that the temp stickers that are highlighted are measuring heat dissipation from the diff. As for the other locations, why not stick probe here and there, it's testing. Just because they stuck some temp sensors there doesn't mean they have a problem, just that they have reason to be curious ..

netoperek
netoperek

I wouldn't be suprised if some of these wouldn't be just temp stickers. MFC patches are about the same size and can give some valuable real time info on strains. Check top-left sticker and green spot to its right on blackouts image - could be where dc cables go ;)

segedunum
segedunum

Just_a_fan wrote:The exhaust gases from an F1 engine will certainly be hot enough, and a deal more concentrated, for the same effect to happen but to an even more marked degree.
Not really. You can't just blow hot gas into more than a force 9 gale and expect that gas to heat up the environment and maintain its temperature itself. We don't know enough yet about what Renault are trying to achieve with it.

Blackout

I wanted to ask why are the stickers I highlighted, partly black/showing a different value unlike all the others ? :wink:
Last edited by Blackout on 14 Feb 2011, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

segedunum
segedunum

I have to say, I've been very, very impressed with Renault.

The front wing is very well developed and has clearly carried on from last season. You compare their wing to something like that from Mercedes and it looks like it's come from another planet. Not sure what their exhausts are doing, but the fact that they've turned up to the tests with them and kept them on is a good sign. Their packaging is also very well done. They have a very clear and unimpeded path over their sidepods and engine cover.

Blackout

segedunum wrote:I have to say, I've been very, very impressed with Renault.

The front wing is very well developed and has clearly carried on from last season. You compare their wing to something like that from Mercedes and it looks like it's come from another planet. Not sure what their exhausts are doing, but the fact that they've turned up to the tests with them and kept them on is a good sign. Their packaging is also very well done. They have a very clear and unimpeded path over their sidepods and engine cover.
And the exhausts are not the only mystery in this R31. The sidepods outlets are the second mystery :)

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Blackout wrote: And the exhausts are not the only mystery in this R31. The sidepods outlets are the second mystery :)
The Williams has the same mystery outlets. Damn hard to figure out how they are venting the radiators .. maybe all the heat sensors give a clue. I've been speculating as to whether they are mixing free flow air from the radiator entry with radiator exhaust to keep the airspeed up and then dumping in a low vent over the diffuser box to charge the airflow over the diffuser. I have no evidence but those radiators have to vent somewhere and these two cars a "non obvious" in how they accomplish that. One thing's for certain .. It's not for no reason ..

segedunum
segedunum

I love the little details as well. Look at the outer part of the sidepod and how it's curved inwards to channel air there.

The sidepod outlets are a mystery. They could be channeling that heat somewhere somehow. We can probably make an assumption that if it's not being vented it's being used somewhere......

dren

The side pod exits are low and wide across the back.
Honda!

Blackout

We know where the outlets are, we started discussing about them on page 42 with this post:
viewtopic.php?p=223595#p223595

but they remain quite misterious...
AbbaleRacing77, Lindz and I think these outlets are designed to blow the hot air just above the diffuser, an air accelerated inside the sidepods thanks to a Venturi effect.

feynman
feynman

Blackout wrote:I wanted to ask why are the stickers I highlighted, partly black/showing a different value unlike all the others ? :wink:
Temperature stickers are available in widely different ranges, unless you can see the numbers it's not always correct to assume they are all from the same range.

If you want accuracy, you'd put a high range sticker in the very hot bits, and a lower range in the cooler bits ... in early running, if you are not sure what temp to expect and don't want to waste laps only to see a full-scale black, or an under-scale unchanged sensor, you may choose to use a couple of stickers from overlapping or contiguous ranges placed right beside each other.