2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
deadhead

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Fakepivot wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 18:27
sainz now said what we been talking about here https://www.threads.net/@better.be.a.bo ... XLbFSER1Rw

this year the car is better in race than in qualy, switching tire on etc etc..
Hopefully they can figure it out for the 2025 car with a bit of a stronger front end would unlock a lot of confidence with LEC, not sure what HAM likes, but I've read that is closer to LEC than SAI in terms of how he likes the car..

ScuderiaLeo

f1316 wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 19:42
Surprisingly good pace today - Charles did a fantastic job, the team played the strategy right, but it must be said that both cars were pretty quick and had good pace. Not McLaren pace but every bit as quick as a Red Bull that’s having the same development issues as Ferrari.

I think this weekend - both the poor one lap pace AND the good race pace - was all about tyres and temperatures. As I said yesterday, if they can unlock the Barcelona upgrade properly next week - which will be a performance boost - all three of the upcoming races should be good. I may be wrong but I suspect Ferrari generally put a bit more emphasis on having a good Monza low drag setup as well, and that gives me the feeling that next week could be fun.
If there's any time to get back in the WCC fight, it's the next three races. If they drop one of those, it's probably bye bye - not likely for them to make it up in the last few races, bar some major mess up by RBR/McLaren. But Monza is well suited for their car, Baku is one of Leclerc's best track, and Sainz has won in Singapore before. The odds are in Ferrari's favour. They just need to execute it.

Both drivers seem to be in excellent form. Strategy the past few races has been solid. The biggest enemy will be cold temperatures, the car just dies when it's cold...

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 20:15
f1316 wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 19:42
Surprisingly good pace today - Charles did a fantastic job, the team played the strategy right, but it must be said that both cars were pretty quick and had good pace. Not McLaren pace but every bit as quick as a Red Bull that’s having the same development issues as Ferrari.

I think this weekend - both the poor one lap pace AND the good race pace - was all about tyres and temperatures. As I said yesterday, if they can unlock the Barcelona upgrade properly next week - which will be a performance boost - all three of the upcoming races should be good. I may be wrong but I suspect Ferrari generally put a bit more emphasis on having a good Monza low drag setup as well, and that gives me the feeling that next week could be fun.
If there's any time to get back in the WCC fight, it's the next three races. If they drop one of those, it's probably bye bye - not likely for them to make it up in the last few races, bar some major mess up by RBR/McLaren. But Monza is well suited for their car, Baku is one of Leclerc's best track, and Sainz has won in Singapore before. The odds are in Ferrari's favour. They just need to execute it.

Both drivers seem to be in excellent form. Strategy the past few races has been solid. The biggest enemy will be cold temperatures, the car just dies when it's cold...
I don't think Monza is well suited to the car. The car is not that good in a straight line, nor is it amazing at direction changes.
Baku should be decent and it's Charles's best track like you said.

Vanja #66

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 20:35
The car is not that good in a straight line
Never let facts get in the way of a narrative =D>
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Space-heat
Space-heat

Amazing from Charles and Carlos today, I kept waiting for Piastri to charge in the last 10 laps. So a Podium was a great surprise.

With the big package tipped for Baku/Singapore, is the expectation a new floor in Monza or do we have any indication. It would be surprising to see new floor in Monza and another in Baku/Singapore.

ScuderiaLeo

CouncilorIrissa wrote:

I don't think Monza is well suited to the car. The car is not that good in a straight line, nor is it amazing at direction changes.
Baku should be decent and it's Charles's best track like you said.
I mean, compared to Zandvoort, surely on paper Monza is more optimistic...? I'm not claiming they're definitively going to do well lol, I can't see the future. But compared to Zandvoort, there are more opportunities for Ferrari to gain.

Additionally, an important point - driver confidence. Leclerc was very confident in Spa. Not a 1:1 with Monza in terms of track characteristics, but far closer than Zandvoort.

Of course this could all change with the new spec. Who knows how much will be changed by the combination of general upgrades plus Monza-specific improvements #-o

PlatinumZealot

Great race pace today. The car was also difficult to pass. Just need some raw pace in qualifying now.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Sevach
Sevach

PlatinumZealot wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 21:34
Great race pace today. The car was also difficult to pass. Just need some raw pace in qualifying now.
Yeah, right now i think goes back to the fact that in qualifying the car ends up running a bit lower.

Hopefully this time the team can make progress without screwing up the balance.

f1316
f1316

Vanja #66 wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 20:51
CouncilorIrissa wrote:
Curious councilorlrissa why you think it’s not good a straight line? We make a lot of the changes made this year but most of the relative strengths and weaknesses by circuit have followed over and we were particularly good in Monza last year.

Mr5in1

Ferrari had great race pace today Leclerc was my driver of the day fully feel he outperformed the car and a second podium on the trot, headlines are on McLaren but Charles is doing so good just now

Xyz22
Xyz22

How in the blue hell Leclerc did the fastest middle sector of the entire race in his outlap?

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

f1316 wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 22:15
Vanja #66 wrote:
CouncilorIrissa wrote:
Curious councilorlrissa why you think it’s not good a straight line? We make a lot of the changes made this year but most of the relative strengths and weaknesses by circuit have followed over and we were particularly good in Monza last year.
I don't know what's the deal with Vanja recently, but the statement about the straight line speed had important context to it.

What I meant was that in order to do well with Monza, certain things are needed.
- Ability to attack kerbs in T1-2 and Roggia;
- Good front-end grip to deal with Lesmos, Ascari and Parabolica;
- Good straight line speed.

Now the SF23 never had good front-end grip, but it had excellent top speed and was good on kerbs. This way it could compensate for the lack of front-end grip.

Now the SF24 has somewhat better front-end than the SF23, but still lacking compared to the competition, and it no longer has the top speed advantage. Which is why I don't think that Monza will be a good track for the SF24.

PlatinumZealot

Monza is also a traction circuit, which McLaren has in spades. It will be tough to even be on second row. If Ferrari has a special engine map and special chassis settings for this track (which they almost always do) they might be able to podium.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

f1316
f1316

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 23:34
f1316 wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 22:15
Vanja #66 wrote:

I don't know what's the deal with Vanja recently, but the statement about the straight line speed had important context to it.

What I meant was that in order to do well with Monza, certain things are needed.
- Ability to attack kerbs in T1-2 and Roggia;
- Good front-end grip to deal with Lesmos, Ascari and Parabolica;
- Good straight line speed.

Now the SF23 never had good front-end grip, but it had excellent top speed and was good on kerbs. This way it could compensate for the lack of front-end grip.

Now the SF24 has somewhat better front-end than the SF23, but still lacking compared to the competition, and it no longer has the top speed advantage. Which is why I don't think that Monza will be a good track for the SF24.
Hmmm ok, I’m not sure I’ve seen data that suggests top speed is lower than last year. I’ve read that the Ferrari PU derates sooner than others, but anything inherent like that was also the case last year.

Vanja #66

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 23:34
and it no longer has the top speed advantage
When did SF23 have a Top Speed advantage on equal wing size to RB19?

When did SF24 not have a Top Speed advantage on equal wing size to RB20 and MCL38?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie