2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season (yes this includes ALO and VET too!

Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

spadeflush

Lotus have confirmed the deal with Mercedes. If Alonso cannot seal a 1 year deal with McLaren that he has been apparently pursuing then this might be a solution for him. Agreed that Lotus has not been worse than it has been this year but with their acknowledgment of a design error in this year's car and all the Renault troubles that followed, a switch to Mercedes could at least bring them back in the top midfield next year. Alonso might just be able to live with that instead of having to take a forced sabbatical in the hopes of a championship winning car in 2016 (Mercedes)

Edit: Exactly what I'm thinking Blanchimont
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

Harsha
Harsha

Autosport magazine wrote:"It is understood that Vettel will arrive with a package of Red Bull staff around him that will further bolster Ferrari's engineering strengths and boost its revival."

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Shock reveal: Fernando Alonso confirmed to have been in talks with Frank Williams himself as far back as in July this year.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/07/ ... -williams/

Fernando Alonso @ Williams - 100 % Proof. :wtf: :mrgreen:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u wrote:Shock reveal: Fernando Alonso confirmed to have been in talks with Frank Williams himself as far back as in July this year.

I can hear Sir Frank breaking the news to Massa right now. Alonso is faster than you. :lol:

Daliracing

1158 wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:Shock reveal: Fernando Alonso confirmed to have been in talks with Frank Williams himself as far back as in July this year.

I can hear Sir Frank breaking the news to Massa right now. Alonso is faster than you. :lol:
Was thinking the same :lol:

McLobby

:lol: Remember Massa hijacking Alonso's interview?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPQkYxxftfU :lol:

thisisatest
thisisatest

what if Alonso just said, "for one year i will race with the last place team, for free." he would help develop the car as well as attracting new sponsors to a team that really, really needs it.

djos

thisisatest wrote:what if Alonso just said, "for one year i will race with the last place team, for free." he would help develop the car as well as attracting new sponsors to a team that really, really needs it.
Having Kimi didnt seem to help the Lotus bank balance very much so I doubt having Alonso in a Caterham/Marussia etc would help them much either.
"In downforce we trust"

SweetApex
SweetApex

Isn't it funny how Alonso is rumoured to have signed with HONDA and not MCLAREN?

Does that give an impression that Honda is buying out the team or at least owning a majority share? Or has this been confirmed and I missed it somewhere?

We know McLaren's lack of sponsorship recently so it's logical for them to begin this partnership much like WilliamsBMW was a decade ago.

hpras
hpras

a little OT, but wouldn't it be interesting if for just one random race per year, everyone randomly swaps teams. My bet is ALO to Williams, Massa is retired.

ScottB
ScottB

SweetApex wrote:Isn't it funny how Alonso is rumoured to have signed with HONDA and not MCLAREN?

Does that give an impression that Honda is buying out the team or at least owning a majority share? Or has this been confirmed and I missed it somewhere?

We know McLaren's lack of sponsorship recently so it's logical for them to begin this partnership much like WilliamsBMW was a decade ago.
I'd see it as a get out clause; Alonso signs with Honda directly, so if things don't work out with Mclaren again, he can move easily to any other team they end up supplying.

Or as an extension to that, the rumours about him buying a team are true, it will have Honda power and he'll drive for it in the future...

WaikeCU

I was watching the Thursday Press Conference, where somebody from the press asked a question about his cycling team, which couldn't register his team for next season. Alonso said that some news will be announced in 7-10 days time. What if the announcement has something to do with not 2-wheels, but 4-wheels...
Q: (Ian Parkes - Press Association) Fernando, just to change tack completely to cycling. I believe the UCI have announced that your team won't be competing next year. Can you offer any explanation behind that? What's the situation going on with your team there?

FA: Well, I think two weeks ago we announced a partnership with Novo Investment from Qatar and they are in control of our next projects, which we are very excited [about]. For them it was not the right moment to create the team. We will have another, as I said, exciting project that will be announced maybe next week or maybe in 10 days' time and, yeah, follow their wishes and try to enjoy that part of cycling that I love so much.

Richard
Richard

Isn't there an Alonso quote from Suzuka when he said his goal was to win championships? He's not going to do that if he takes a sabbatical, drives for Lotus, or leaves the sport.

Phil

Richard wrote:Isn't there an Alonso quote from Suzuka when he said his goal was to win championships? He's not going to do that if he takes a sabbatical, drives for Lotus, or leaves the sport.
I think what he ment to say is "I *can* win a WDC" or "I can make you win a WDC". And that message would be to any team that is currently not in the position to. Mercedes don't need Alonso - they will have wrapped up the WCC and WDC with either Rosberg or Hamilton this year - and if things continue, will do it next year. Alonso, being considered to be the top F1 driver, would be a good addition to any team lacking that little bit extra. RedBull declined his offer and went for Kvyat, so the only two team that are available would be McLaren-Honda, Williams and perhaps Lotus. From those, I think McLaren-Honda would make the most sense.

I think it's safe to say that Lewis will be at Mercedes in 2015 given he has a contract, so if I were Alonso, I would be looking at signing a 1+1 or 1+2 contract, meaning a single year contract with possible 1 or 2 year extension - so that if a seat does become available for 2016 at a better team (Mercedes) that he could be available.

I suspect this is the only reason why it has been taking so long. In McLaren-Honda's case, I think they desperately need a very good driver. I personally don't think another Button/Magnussen pairing would be wise, so Alonso might have some leverage regarding the contract. I think he will end up there and Honda will know that they and their partner McLaren will have to perform at their best to get them on track for at the latest 2016 if they want to keep him there.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter