2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Dimond
Dimond

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

I think today McLaren was overall only 3rd fastest car, the disappointment is only because of the lost opportunities during the race. But the final position reflects the speed of the car today IMO

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

What a rollercoaster of a race… Yes, the strategy calls weren’t the right ones and we left a potential win on the table, but to watch the Team finally fighting at the front after so many years of been happy with a P9-P10, celebrating a P5 like if it was a win, to watch them fight at the front and finally reach the group at the top feels great.

The right culture at the team will hopefully allow them to learn from these experiences and keep coming stronger, you don’t build a Championship Team with a blame culture and sacking people when mistakes are made, this is for the most part the same team that has resurrected McLaren from almost last in the grid to a podium winner and championship contender.

Emag
Emag

It's crazy really. Double stacking Oscar and putting mediums on both cars at the end and this is an easy 1-2.

Take a goddamn random person from the grandstand and let him make the strategy and this team walks away with a 1-2 today.

CjC
CjC

I knew Lewis would have chosen the medium if he had the choice.
Thats a 7 times world champion for you though.
Just a fan's point of view

Ben1980
Ben1980

Emag wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:35
Ben1980 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:32
Last year, people lost their minds when the team went on hards, and everyone said softs. It worked out. This time it didn't let's all calm down, and not act like planks.

Disapointing, but it happens.

Guessing more points in tge WCC over tge others though?
This is the sort of thinking that brings no changes where there's clearly something wrong in that pit crew. Asking drivers in the heat of the moment about strategy is outrageous. What is your job then mr engineer if the driver is making the strategy himself.

You can't go "oh well, another unlucky one went away" when it happens 3-4 times in succession. Just like they did well technically to break away from the midfield and come up with a car that can fight at the front in most conditions, it is now time to improve the organizational aspect of the team.

Because they have been throwing races by themselves. Nobody to blame.
I think this is the only one they've thrown away. If they had pitted that one lap early, and Mediums they likely win. That was all it came down to. Wrong choice made. But, it happened. It was a mess up.

ollandos
ollandos

santa claus gifts ....i think is more easy for the team simple copy red dull pit always at the same time for the same tyres :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted: :idea: #-o 8)

Slahinki
Slahinki

mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:43
Emag wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:41
Ben1980 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:39

Maybe, but my issue isn't the wrong choice, it's the claim that people all know better. When in the past it's shown they generally don't.
Come on man. You have an advantage in having a fresh set of mediums available for the car and you only have a used set of softs.

You need to do 13 laps on conditions which heavily punish the tires.

Tell me, in what universe does it make sense to put a used soft in the end there?
13 laps. More importantly, 13 push laps.

Softs was clearly wrong, they bet too heavily on the Mercs deg.
Yeah, my heart sank when I saw that Norris said he wanted softs in the team stream even though they had new mediums available. He shouldn't have to be the one to make that decision. Hopefully this can finally be a wake-up call so we can come back stronger next season at least.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Softs worked okay for Lewis and to be fair had the track have not dried so quickly they would have been the right call but the sun came and it was bone dry so quickly.

Huggles
Huggles

I think Will Joseph leaves too much for Lando to decide. He needs to be more decisive. Tom (Oscars engineer) literally says Medium is the best tire and they go with it.

Saying Soft to cover Lewis or Medium to cover Max was not the messaging needed.

Ir3NiCuS
Ir3NiCuS

Dunno what to say. After the qualy I thought I could not be angrier but here comes the McLaren and the good old "hold my beer" joke.
Poor start, poor pit stops, poor decisions, poor everything.....this performance is an absolutely freaking joke.
Better start learning from these mistakes otherwise I will call them the papaya ferrari

mwillems

Team were poor today. But whilst that is the headline, if Lando had not lost position to Max at the start then he'd also likely still be the winner. Improvement needs to be everywhere.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

Emag wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:41
Ben1980 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:39
propercare wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:35

It was absolutely no gambe involved here, they knew medium was better, they had the tire in the beginning, soft was wrong choice in any scenario. Piastri was faster from the beginning on mediums.
Maybe, but my issue isn't the wrong choice, it's the claim that people all know better. When in the past it's shown they generally don't.
Come on man. You have an advantage in having a fresh set of mediums available for the car and you only have a used set of softs.

You need to do 13 laps on conditions which heavily punish the tires.

Tell me, in what universe does it make sense to put a used soft in the end there?
It doesn't, it was a mistake. But, people sitting around who regular question correct choices, don't really show themselves to be experts. Only in hindsight.

wickedz50
wickedz50

Emag wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:45
It's crazy really. Double stacking Oscar and putting mediums on both cars at the end and this is an easy 1-2.

Take a goddamn random person from the grandstand and let him make the strategy and this team walks away with a 1-2 today.
I agree that even after Max was given the call to box for the inters atleast one driver should have come in same lap, that’s where Max was allowed to come into the podium position. If you have to still win the constructor you still need some big double podium. Piastri saved the day by coming in 4th, that car in Piastri’s hand was fast and deserved a better position. Still this is the team experiencing winning opportunities which is new and they need to be impeccable in execution because that’s what Merc and RBR team is showing. A one car RBR can still win the WCC if Max keeps getting the wins, which will be quite embarrassing.

proteus

Damn shame, up to the last pitstop they did everything right. Some shellshock from Sochi was being heard in Landos voice.... They will learn from this and get back stronger. It hurts, but from where they were just a couple of seasons ago, this is still a good pain i would say.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Oh my god. :o When will these mistakes in decision making stop. Pit time, slick tyre choice before the finish. Mistakes from Lando and Oscar and the team strategists and their race engineers. Missed the boat yet again. Reminded me of Canada this season. I hope the team learns from their mistakes one day.