2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Lucky
Lucky

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Dimond wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:45
Lucky wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:43
McLaren's strategists are in 10th place out of 10. This is a real shame.
I believe we're gonna live with this for the rest of the year at least. Hiring a proper strategist takes time
The main thing is for Andrea to understand that a big apology is needed.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:40
LionsHeart wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:38

Emag, let's make a deal. :) I take back my words. I agree, this is Lando's worst year in terms of the number of mistakes that deprived him of victory. I consider this argument closed.
Ahahahaha

Such a dry British remark, Bravo 🤣🤣🤣
Let it be so. If it will somehow mentally help the team in the future, then let it be so.

I will consider this as karma towards me. :D
I assumed you were being sarcastic as it's the only season we've had the opportunity to throw away wins, there it has to be the season we threw away the most wins 😆
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

I'd like to know why Lando and Oscar split tyre choice at the end, did Oscar make the call?

-Bandit

organic

mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:49
I'd like to know why Lando and Oscar split tyre choice at the end, did Oscar make the call?
Pretty sure Lando was given the call and he chose softs

Ben1980
Ben1980

Lucky wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:47
Dimond wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:45
Lucky wrote:
McLaren's strategists are in 10th place out of 10. This is a real shame.
I believe we're gonna live with this for the rest of the year at least. Hiring a proper strategist takes time
The main thing is for Andrea to understand that a big apology is needed.
He has nothing to apologise for. But, did admit the mistakes after the race.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:48
LionsHeart wrote:
mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:40

Ahahahaha

Such a dry British remark, Bravo 🤣🤣🤣
Let it be so. If it will somehow mentally help the team in the future, then let it be so.

I will consider this as karma towards me. :D
I assumed you were being sarcastic as it's the only season we've had the opportunity to throw away wins, there it has to be the season we threw away the most wins 😆
Now yes. Now it is definitely true. Last time was in 2021. The number of errors in one race exceeded the permissible limits and they affected the results of the race. So it is safe to say that this is the worst season for McLaren in terms of the inability to convert victories. I hope this is the worst we've seen this year. Things like this are sobering and should be a lesson for the team.

Ben1980
Ben1980

organic wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:50
mwillems wrote:
Think he said he was fine with either, they then pretty much chose softs for him.

Oscar was offered mediums and he said yep.

Hamilton going on softs probably influenced it more.

mwillems

organic wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:50
mwillems wrote:
Team made the call, Lando deferred.

-Bandit

mwillems

Sometimes you just can't get first because the only thing in your head is getting first. Both the team and Lando have this approach I think. Lando with closing down Max so aggressively at the start in Austria to let Russell in and give him a double tow, and this week so desperate to get 2nd he gets 4th.

The team making silly all or nothing calls when they don't need to.

I think they are too focussed on putting Lando 1st. They need to relax and focus on what gets them to the end of the race quicker and get rid of some of the noise because they are making decisions with tunnel vision.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Ben1980 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:25
CjC wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:17
Piastri gained 10 seconds on Lando in that lash stint.
For me Lando should have won the race by 5+ seconds
But Lando had checked out after Max got past. What did he pull on Lewis or Max?
5 seconds on them.
I thought about it after and evaluated down to win the race by 2+ seconds
Make no bones about it, Medium was the right call.
Just a fan's point of view

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Andrea Stella: “The race was held in difficult conditions, which were constantly changing, and there were many decisions to be made. Many of them turned out to be correct, but there were also a couple of moments where we should have acted differently. But we understand that now. I think we have to admit that by leaving Oscar Piastri on track for another lap, we lost a lot of time. He should have changed to intermediates earlier, but we wanted to avoid the delay associated with a double pit stop. But now it is clear that we should have invited both drivers to the pits at the same time.

And the second wrong decision is related to the fact that Lando Norris’ car should have been put on mediums for the second pit stop, but at that moment we wanted to be at least as fast as Lewis Hamilton, and he switched to softs.

But now I think it would have been better to put the Mediums on, and then we would have been more competitive, even if Lewis had overtaken us after his pit stop. The car would have been more stable towards the end of the race on these tyres.

I repeat: we understand all this now, after the finish of the race, but it gives us an opportunity to learn a useful lesson so that the team can continue to develop and become better. It is still great that one McLaren driver got on the podium at Silverstone and the other took 4th place, because we scored a lot of points. This is important for both championships, and I would like to thank all the McLaren staff, because it was only thanks to them that this was possible.

Overall, the results of the day are mixed, with a bitter taste, because we could have won this race, but there were also many positives, and we will use this experience in preparation for the next races."

Ben1980
Ben1980

CjC wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 19:22
Ben1980 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:25
CjC wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:17
Piastri gained 10 seconds on Lando in that lash stint.
For me Lando should have won the race by 5+ seconds
But Lando had checked out after Max got past. What did he pull on Lewis or Max?
5 seconds on them.
I thought about it after and evaluated down to win the race by 2+ seconds
Make no bones about it, Medium was the right call.
Yep, think everyone knows that! And some knew it at the time.

But still not sure it would have guaranteed a win, but would have at least been better!

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

That's it. What we understood during the race, the team itself understood only after the race. That's the problem.

Ben1980
Ben1980

I can guarantee though, that if we went mediums and didn't win. People would be fuming over not taking softs.

venkyhere
venkyhere

I think members here are going overboard with the criticism on tyre choice. Whether it was Lando's call or the team's call, they banked on the fact that McLaren surely would have better tyre life than Mercedes, whatever be the compound. So matching Hamiltons S, wasn't stupid. What it turned out to be, is something that's not an exact science, still. Tyre temps, how the driver brings them.in, track temp, driving style, all this is too complex. Even the teams with all their complex algorithms, are guesstimating.
I wouldn't blame the team for Lando's tyres for the final yre stint at all. It was a gamble. If Hamilton had chewed his tyres faster than Lando, we would all be here, hailing a brilliant win.

However, the absolute stupidity by the team, was to not double stack. That's bargain basement formula3 level knowledge. The lap time data was staring at them point blank. It reminded me of Ferrari in Monaco 2022. Absolutely no excuse.

This has been happening very consistently now, the team f&&&ing Piastri's race/quali over.
Last edited by venkyhere on 07 Jul 2024, 19:40, edited 2 times in total.