Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
manchild
manchild

Re: Renault R31

Blackout wrote:Another question, (maybe a bit rhetoric : P )
Why are the sidepods wide around the engine, if the exhaust manifolds are routed towards the front ? The bodywork should be more tight in the area near the ''make roads safe'' stickers...
Because there is a tunnel all the way from sidepod inlet to diffuser. It cools the exhaust pipe pointed forward, picks up hot air and delivers it to diffuser, and enables more narrow stream since part of the air car faces goes straight trough the tunnel, instead of turning sideways.

viewtopic.php?p=223890#p223890

jake_m
jake_m

Carlo's wrote:Image
This is a six component wheel force/torque sensor (aka wheel force transducer or WFT) mounted to a modified OZ rim. You can see the bolts that attach the center section to the rim section, typically the OZ rims are one-piece. The sensor is most likely a Kistler RoaDyn V6F1 (9280A) or a similar bespoke version [1]. Kistler was providing sensors to the Renault team as of 2006 [2]. The sensor is mounted in the outboard configuration and the bar that wraps around the wheel holds a non-contact outboard transmission unit just in front of the sensor hub.

[1] http://www.kistler.com/LI_en-ch/13_Prod ... -cars.html
[2] http://www.sensorland.com/AppPage088.html

Remote_Access
Remote_Access

horse wrote:There also are not "easy" routes out for the hot air from the radiators and the engine, so I assume that the bodywork must be getting pretty hot as well. Considering the massive gape that RB like to have to chill the Renault, it's quite amazing how restrictive Lotus Renault think they can be. I'd love to see whether they can keep the body work so closed come a hot hot race.
Are you sure about this? Whilst Renault sport a long flat opening, it's not necessarily "smaller" than the Red Bull's circular one.

PlatinumZealot

Maybe because they "double back" the exhaust pipe it makes the volume of the headers wider. And they need more space for cooling too.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

gibells
gibells

n smikle wrote:Maybe because they "double back" the exhaust pipe it makes the volume of the headers wider. And they need more space for cooling too.
Pardon my ignorance but could they not just have swapped the LH & RH manifolds around, or something to that effect?

piast9
piast9

gibells wrote:Pardon my ignorance but could they not just have swapped the LH & RH manifolds around, or something to that effect?
Probably they would end up in such case with exhaust pipe pointing directly into the fuel tank. I am sure that the solution they presented is thoroughly thought-over.

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

RichardHH wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:Several people have mentioned the benefit of heating air in the sidepods with the expansion accelerating the flow. You've talked about radiators, but there could also be a rather hot exhaust pipe routed through that space too. Even more heat.
I personally agre with Richards assumtion about the Heat build up from the exhaust pipes, especially if they are routed to the front for the FEE. Thats quite a lot of red hot surface area. Even if it looks like they are routing 'cool' air (as in not heated through the radiaters) along the exhaust, the heat build up in the center air flow could be quite significant, hence the temp stickers on the crash structure.
Written on my iPhone please excuse my grammar.

I've been trying to prove this theory for over a week. Most people seem to doubt it despite the fact that all of the design features of the side pods and radiator point to the fact that they're trying to get the air moving through the side pods as fast as possible. They want it to flow as fast as possible out the back by pressurizing the sidepods via huge inlets and tiny exits. Now I believe there maximizing this a few ways... 1) There using vertical radiators for max flow. 2) They're letting a small amount of air around the sides of the radiators for a little more flow. 3) larger sidepod inlets for maximum air ramming effect to build more pressure. 4) on top of all that there utilizing the heat of the exhaust and the hot air exiting the radiators which serves in expanding the air and creating more pressure. All of these features point to creating as much pressure possible and shooting it out the back over the diffuser.

For the doubters.... Yes the air has a turbulent flow... And yes the radiators have some resistance... I understand your doubts But it doesn't matter because the flow is constantly pressurized and then is forced out a tiny hole. Kinda like a muffler (the muffler in this example would be the radiator Aka your resistance)... Mufflers create resistance and turbulence but the same amount of air still flows out the muffler compared to the same engine with straight pipes. Why? Because it's under constant pressure, I your pressure source is strong enough it will force what goes in, out. Now add a nozzle to the end of the muffler (Aka your small sidepod outlets)... The air is going to flow with much faster velocity out the end of the exhaust ( or the sidepod). Ok so now that we know this would you say that 200mph airstream that enters the sidepod would deflect off the radiators and find it's way out another crevice or back out of the front of the sidepod? Would you say that theres minimal air entering the side pod and that the radiators are just for show? Hell no! And that's the only scenario that wouldn't make this system work.

The doubtedrs are thinking of this like a aerodynamic component outside the car. You can't think of it that way... You have to think like a exhaust designer who thinks 90% to reduce pressure within. They don't put diffusers in the exhaust to comb the air an make it less turbulent because it's under pressure and it won't make a difference. Point of the matter is what goes in must come out when under pressure. And the air coming out of the sidepod tiny little exits is definitely coming out faster and more directed with less turbulence then when it went in. If it helps you guys believe just think of the radiators as creating a little back pressure like in a 2 stroke exhaust.

If this isn't the case... Then good luck to Renault. If the doubters are correct then this means that theyre choking the radiators. I don't think this is happening though. Because it would be pretty dumb to build those dumbo ear sidepod inlets for no reason. And again If this isn't true they would have a redbull size hole to vent the air instead of well designed vents thy disperse air over the diffuser.

I'll bet 10 bucks that the open channel inside of the radiator to allow additional flow is exactly the width of the exhaust wrapped in a layer of Kevlar. Anyone wanna bet?

Go back a couple pages and read my posts... I think I made some good arguments. Let me know what you think

manchild
manchild

Am I the only one who haven't seen top studio shot so far?

I could only find 3/4 ones, and this is the biggest top view I could find.

Compared with R30. Reference point is the cockpit front edge around the steering wheel which is the only identical part on both cars.

NormalChris
NormalChris

AbbaleRacing77 wrote:
For the doubters.... Yes the air has a turbulent flow... And yes the radiators have some resistance... I understand your doubts But it doesn't matter because the flow is constantly pressurized and then is forced out a tiny hole. Kinda like a muffler (the muffler in this example would be the radiator Aka your resistance)... Mufflers create resistance and turbulence but the same amount of air still flows out the muffler compared to the same engine with straight pipes. Why? Because it's under constant pressure, I your pressure source is strong enough it will force what goes in, out. Now add a nozzle to the end of the muffler (Aka your small sidepod outlets)... The air is going to flow with much faster velocity out the end of the exhaust ( or the sidepod). Ok so now that we know this would you say that 200mph airstream that enters the sidepod would deflect off the radiators and find it's way out another crevice or back out of the front of the sidepod? Would you say that theres minimal air entering the side pod and that the radiators are just for show? Hell no! And that's the only scenario that wouldn't make this system work.
If we continue with the muffler analogy where is the loss in performance figured in from its restricted flow as is found on any engine. I dont doubt that you can increase the velocity out the back of the sidepods but its the car thats pushing it through, reducing its speed. Is it formulated that the lost speed and acceleration is compensated for with the extra downforce. Thats the concept RBs been winning with so it could be the way to go.

horse

manchild wrote:Am I the only one who haven't seen top studio shot so far?
I've been hunting around for one as well and struggling to find any over the top shots. I think they must be trying to avoid giving the exhaust layouts away.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

marekk
marekk

NormalChris wrote:
AbbaleRacing77 wrote:
If we continue with the muffler analogy where is the loss in performance figured in from its restricted flow as is found on any engine. I dont doubt that you can increase the velocity out the back of the sidepods but its the car thats pushing it through, reducing its speed. Is it formulated that the lost speed and acceleration is compensated for with the extra downforce. Thats the concept RBs been winning with so it could be the way to go.
The more i look at renault this year, the more i think they'll trying to find a way to use all forms of the energy produced by the engine to quicken the car. Obviously all are using mechanical part of it, but there is more then 1000kW of power in exhaust gases and from radiators, totaly wasted until recently (blown exhaust). If they'll manage to make some real use of small part of it (FEE, thermal acceleration of cooling air to blow over difuser, ...), maybe there's a chance to find those lacking few tenths.

marcush.
marcush.

I still don´t get just why the mass airflow through the radiator should not go down when you choke of the exit.
In an exageration-close the exit to a 10mm diameter hole and the airmass flow will be practically zero no matter how big your inlets are.the spped will be high no question but the massflow will go towards zero.
Your increase in speed will come at a cost.
A very interesting point is where to dump the hot sidepod exits .the pressure situation in that area will decide ,no?

matt21

I´m just asking myself, if they possible have some fans inside their sidepods in order to keep the flow alive.
Or are cooling fans banned due to the Brabham BT46B.

gridwalker
gridwalker

Oh no, definitely not : Fans are forbidden, verboden, interdite, proibito ...

However you want to say it, that would be a big NO (but you're right in saying the BT-46b is the reason for this restriction).
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

marcush.
marcush.

that would be some serious fans needed ....and lets face it a lot of power to drive them.