2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
scuderiabrandon

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 21:31
Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 21:24
AR3-GP wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 21:12
and my point is that I disagree with that! :lol:

Baku and Singapore are never good predictors of anything. Red Bull was rubbish in Singapore last year. Baku is a street track! Perez won last year...

If Ferrari can challenge Mclaren in COTA, then the WCC is on and Leclerc might even beat Norris in the WDC.
Agree to disagree then

Not sure who mentioned title fight anyway, leaders in both categories are too far away and closest pretenders are too strong at the moment. Ferrari are taking things race by race and focused on learning as much as possible for next year.

Any sniff of title fight was gone with spanish update and WDC fight was never even the target. WCC fight (not necessarily title) was target and even with all the summer trouble they are still there. Very strong performance from the team, without having the best car overall at any point
I never mentioned WDC title. I mentioned beating Norris. These are two different things. Leclerc is only 18 points behind him.

I also said WCC fight is on if car is still competitive in COTA.
39 points 8 races and 3 sprints to go. It's doable if the car remains in a similar performance bracket it was in Monza (at the moment, I think that is unlikely) for the remainder of the races. However, we'd need to absolutely perfect on every front. Especially in these next 2 races because we expect to be quick here. Who knows, an opportunity to take points off McLaren may not come around again. I am in agreement with you that COTA and one or two circuit after that is still very much a mystery.

deadhead

McLaren are brining an upgrade in Singapore as well..

dialtone
dialtone

Copy that front wing like your life depends on it. They have to get it out this season at all costs. For starters testing porpoising isn’t easy outside of real world and then there’s the FIA test which you want to practice with before the end.

If they truly believe that’s the game changer then they have to go for it now.

bluechris

dialtone wrote:
05 Sep 2024, 04:31
Copy that front wing like your life depends on it. They have to get it out this season at all costs. For starters testing porpoising isn’t easy outside of real world and then there’s the FIA test which you want to practice with before the end.

If they truly believe that’s the game changer then they have to go for it now.
A more flexible front wing, will not increase the car downforce in low and medium speed turns? This is what i have understood so far. If that happened then all will be happy and the car will not need anything else on the rear too balance that?
What i want to point is that it's not a easy thing.

Sevach
Sevach

bluechris wrote:
05 Sep 2024, 06:21

A more flexible front wing, will not increase the car downforce in low and medium speed turns? This is what i have understood so far. If that happened then all will be happy and the car will not need anything else on the rear too balance that?
In theory it's better to have a more inclined FW at lower speeds while at high speeds this same angle would create lots of oversteer.

The extra flex allows teams to have their cake and eat it.

bluechris

Sevach wrote:
05 Sep 2024, 07:44
bluechris wrote:
05 Sep 2024, 06:21

In theory it's better to have a more inclined FW at lower speeds while at high speeds this same angle would create lots of oversteer.

The extra flex allows teams to have their cake and eat it.
thank you, i understand that but the more grip at the front will not cause troubles? as i think it, maybe not in the case of Leclerc who loves a strong front end, right?

Vanja #66

Apparently, Singapore or Texas might see a new front wing on Ferrari. Several Italian media report this from different sources it seems.

https://f1ingenerale.com/f1/news-f1/f1- ... ari-sf-24/

If they have been working on a more flexible design, it would make sense to ask FIA for clarification before making it and prevent any dispite on its legality. I don't think it's a crucial aspect, but if it can bring 0.1s it will be a worthy investment, especially to prepare for 2025.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Space-heat
Space-heat

scuderiabrandon wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 20:44
bluechris wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 20:35
scuderiabrandon wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 20:29
The only concerns I have going to the next 2 circuits, where I expect an SF-24 to be at a similar level of competitiveness as in Monza, is the qualifying performance of the car. It seems very likely at the moment that a Mercedes can always sneak in ahead of us, which is such a headache. One, dirty air seems to be back at its worst, so passing without a tyre delta is quite difficult. Singapore doesn't need an explanation, qualifying is everything.
True but as we saw in Monza with Leclerc so many laps behind anyone without a single problem, where McLaren destroyed their tyres, so i don't think this is a problem. Qual problem or not i strongly believe the setup atm is ok and they must not alter anything fundamental. The car with better tyre preservation will go in front of the others i think.
Also the next tracks are not so flat like Monza and all the others will have bigger problems than Ferrari because they will raise their cars.
The issue here is with how close it is, the delta to overtake is massive. Unless the car ahead is ridiculously bad on tyres, they can keep you behind. Which is not the case any more, I believe.

The car with better tyre preservation will go in front of the others i think.
Although I am incredibly proud of how we managed the Monza race, we have to remember Mclaren basically put it in our hands by not really being convinced by a one-stop whatsoever. They seemed to have planned a two stop from the start of the race and only 2/3rds into the race, after cooking their 2nd stint tyres realized mmmm maybe a one-stop could've worked. By then, they already put themselves on the back foot.
On the Mclaren strategy. I wonder did Oscar push so hard as he was determined to remove any chance of a Lando undercut similar to Hungary by opening up a good gap. Lando and Charles had to go with him and it punished McL tyre strategy.

Lewis was quoted post race with saying he knew they had to be 2 stopping with their lap times during the race. It could be that Oscar did not want to leave it up to chance. Lando might have agreed to the earlier 2nd pit stop as a way to see if he could undercut Oscar as he wasn't able to get close when the team allowed them to race ("Papaya Rules"). Hopefully, this continues as it could open chances to Sainz and Leclerc. However, am aware this is a stretch

Xyz22
Xyz22

https://x.com/SmilexTech/status/1831607241843081652

"Komatsu said they will bring important upgrades in Austin in preparation for 2025 where they expect to have a lot of carry over from this year. Formu1a.uno asked if the carry over won't include the front suspensions due to Ferrari moving from push rod to pull rod. He only smiled without answering the question."

Autobahn303
Autobahn303

I dont know much about Serra except he's been at Mercedes.

What is his track record?

Edit:
I quick Google gave me the answer. Quite good CV.
Last edited by Autobahn303 on 05 Sep 2024, 11:43, edited 2 times in total.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Autobahn303 wrote:
05 Sep 2024, 11:30

His background a bit similar to Wachè but he never became TD since now.

Vanja #66

Autobahn303 wrote:

Michelin since 96 (after graduation) to 2006, worked on F1 related projects since 2002 (read somewhere he worked very closely with Renault team). Head of Vehicle Performance in Sauber 06-10. 2010-2024 Chief Engineer for vehicle, Head of Vehicle Dynamics and later Performance Director in Mercedes F1. If he wasn't hand-picked by Brawn in this ramp-up phase, he was definitely approved by him. First Ferrari TD with background in vehicle dynamics since Costa 07-11

#BlessYouLaddie

Autobahn303
Autobahn303

Vanja #66 wrote:
05 Sep 2024, 11:45
Autobahn303 wrote:

Michelin since 96 (after graduation) to 2006, worked on F1 related projects since 2002 (read somewhere he worked very closely with Renault team). Head of Vehicle Performance in Sauber 06-10. 2010-2024 Chief Engineer for vehicle, Head of Vehicle Dynamics and later Performance Director in Mercedes F1. If he wasn't hand-picked by Brawn in this ramp-up phase, he was definitely approved by him. First Ferrari TD with background in vehicle dynamics since Costa 07-11
Thanks Vanja,

This is gonna be exciting.

Vanja #66

Some new details on why Newey chose Aston Martin

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... /10651100/

The Englishman, aware of the value that the world of F1 has recognized in him, played a subtle game made not only of money but also of benefits. At the first round of the table it seemed that the Scuderia was the big favourite: Fred Vasseur had opened a very serious channel which had led the Cavallino team to allocate an extra budget for Adrian, accepting that he could take on a consultancy role, external to the structure of the Racing Department, being able to remain and live in Great Britain.

The skilled Stroll did not hesitate to relaunch with a monstrous offer, worthy of a top driver and not of a technician (we are talking about 100 million in three years plus a series of prizes depending on the results...), but there are those claims that Adrian would have still chosen Ferrari if they had matched the offer in Maranello.

And at that point the stop would have been triggered within the Scuderia: not only for the attempt to launch an auction, but for the clear sensation that the choice did not reveal an attachment to the shirt. An attitude that would have annoyed the leaders of the Cavallino, John Elkann and Benedetto Vigna, and fully convinced Vasseur. The team principal is doing a great job to build a cohesive team that makes the group one of its main strengths.
If the rumours are true, Newey wanted massive funds, to remain in UK, external consultancy and to be able to veto any decisions he did not like? Definitely sounds very much like making unreal demands to force Ferrari to decline

#BlessYouLaddie

ing.

Vanja #66 wrote:
05 Sep 2024, 15:38
Some new details on why Newey chose Aston Martin

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... /10651100/

The Englishman, aware of the value that the world of F1 has recognized in him, played a subtle game made not only of money but also of benefits. At the first round of the table it seemed that the Scuderia was the big favourite: Fred Vasseur had opened a very serious channel which had led the Cavallino team to allocate an extra budget for Adrian, accepting that he could take on a consultancy role, external to the structure of the Racing Department, being able to remain and live in Great Britain.

The skilled Stroll did not hesitate to relaunch with a monstrous offer, worthy of a top driver and not of a technician (we are talking about 100 million in three years plus a series of prizes depending on the results...), but there are those claims that Adrian would have still chosen Ferrari if they had matched the offer in Maranello.

And at that point the stop would have been triggered within the Scuderia: not only for the attempt to launch an auction, but for the clear sensation that the choice did not reveal an attachment to the shirt. An attitude that would have annoyed the leaders of the Cavallino, John Elkann and Benedetto Vigna, and fully convinced Vasseur. The team principal is doing a great job to build a cohesive team that makes the group one of its main strengths.
If the rumours are true, Newey wanted massive funds, to remain in UK, external consultancy and to be able to veto any decisions he did not like? Definitely sounds very much like making unreal demands to force Ferrari to decline
Agreed—sounds like the Barnard story, Part III. And we all know how Parts I and II turned out.