2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

djos wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 05:55
AR3-GP wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 05:17
djos wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 00:29
It’s nice to see Mclaren management finally admit that the car was deeply flawed!

Just a shame it killed Daniels confidence and caused him to be pushed out of the team!
9 cars this year were "deeply flawed". The bouncing Mercedes from start of year looked worse than anything the Mclaren was doing.

I'm not sure why you want to blame everything on Mclaren even though the other driver bagged a podium and P7 in the WDC classification.

where was this deeply flawed car when Daniel won in Monza?

Considering the 36 didn’t bag a single podium all year, it clearly went backwards from a performance PoV compared to the 35M.

No one is saying that 36 was as good as the 35. Regardless, Lando Norris finished P7 in the WDC w/ a podium to add.

It's always excuses. When Daniel was at Red Bull it was because Max was being favoured. Now that he went to Mclaren, it's the car. When does it end. The paddock has spoken. He was sacked in favor of an exciting Australian talent, Oscar Piastri. He was not picked up by another front running team. If Mclaren or Red Bull had somehow gone under as a business, Ferrari/Mercedes/Alpine/AM would have thrown themselves at Norris and Verstappen.
A lion must kill its prey.

djos

I’m not making excuses at all, you are interpreting my comments that way!
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 06:12
djos wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

9 cars this year were "deeply flawed". The bouncing Mercedes from start of year looked worse than anything the Mclaren was doing.

I'm not sure why you want to blame everything on Mclaren even though the other driver bagged a podium and P7 in the WDC classification.

Considering the 36 didn’t bag a single podium all year, it clearly went backwards from a performance PoV compared to the 35M.
https://i.postimg.cc/YqRnkYvF/image.png

No one is saying that 36 was as good as the 35. Regardless, Lando Norris finished P7 in the WDC w/ a podium to add.

It's always excuses. When Daniel was at Red Bull it was because Max was being favoured. Now that he went to Mclaren, it's the car. When does it end. The paddock has spoken. He was sacked in favor of an exciting Australian talent, Oscar Piastri. He was not picked up by another front running team. If Mclaren or Red Bull had somehow gone under as a business, Ferrari/Mercedes/Alpine/AM would have thrown themselves at Norris and Verstappen.
He was alot closer to Max in those days. Usually an eyelash between them.

Daniel is gone because he was so far behind Norris and nothing else.

djos

diffuser wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 10:07
AR3-GP wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 06:12
djos wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/YqRnkYvF/image.png

He was alot closer to Max in those days. Usually an eyelash between them.

Daniel is gone because he was so far behind Norris and nothing else.
Quite true on both counts.

I think Oscar and Lando work be within a bees ding Dong of each other.
"In downforce we trust"

proteus

djos wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
djos wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 00:29
It’s nice to see Mclaren management finally admit that the car was deeply flawed!

Just a shame it killed Daniels confidence and caused him to be pushed out of the team!

Imola?
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

djos

proteus wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 11:31
djos wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Imola?
Good point, I had forgotten about that single podium out of 22 races.
"In downforce we trust"

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

djos wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 11:37
proteus wrote:
djos wrote:

Imola?
The only non Red Bull-Ferrari-Mercedes podium, by the way. For a "deeply flawed car", that's quite an achievement. Even Daniel can't eloquently say what his problem was, at the end of the day, it was all about the "feel" of the car. That just sounds like a cop out.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

djos

Ground Effect wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 11:49
djos wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 11:37
proteus wrote:

Imola?
The only non Red Bull-Ferrari-Mercedes podium, by the way. For a "deeply flawed car", that's quite an achievement. Even Daniel can't eloquently say what his problem was, at the end of the day, it was all about the "feel" of the car. That just sounds like a cop out.
Let's not forget that the Alpine’s A522 was the better car for most of the year, and it was only a combination of Alpine incompetence and Lando's brilliance that kept McLaren in the hunt for 4th place at all.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

djos wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 01:46
PhillipM wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 00:34
That's not what was said at all, but sure, run with the silly take. Daniel would have struggled anywhere with this years tyres. As anyone with any sense has been posting for the rest of the year.
Sounds like a fundamental car design flaw to me!
"Then on top of the tyres, you add the car characteristics that kind of mitigate the underlying fundamental behaviour of the tyres. And depending on how strong this mitigation element is coming from the car, the more you can be able to exploit the available grip.

"I think, definitely, there's some aspects of our car that don't mitigate well this underlying behaviour of the tyres. But ultimately, I think it's the same for everyone."
"So you could argue that certain aspects of our car's behaviour is a little similar to last year,but there's also other factors which weren't there last year as well. So it's not like we're stuck in a rut with that particular problem.
To "mitigate" means to work around. What he is saying is that the car is able to get around some of the characteristics of the tyre, but that the drivers still need to do some work to do the same. And thatr Lando could do it better than Daniel

Now I'm reading into this, but it suggests that Daniel was faced with a roadblock based on the fact he couldn't adapt to the tyres AND because the traits presented by the tyres unduly affected his ability to drive the car the way he wanted.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

djos

mwillems wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 12:40

To "mitigate" means to work around. What he is saying is that the car is able to get around some of the characteristics of the tyre, but that the drivers still need to do some work to do the same. And thatr Lando could do it better than Daniel

Now I'm reading into this, but it suggests that Daniel was faced with a roadblock based on the fact he couldn't adapt to the tyres AND because the traits presented by the tyres unduly affected his ability to drive the car the way he wanted.
Actually, it doesn't, the word "mitigate" means to "to make less severe".

A "work-around" is used to bypass a problem temporarily while a permanent fix is developed (those words have very specific definitions in problem management and engineering in general).
"In downforce we trust"

the EDGE
the EDGE

Well, Sunday not only represents the start of a new year, but also marks the half-way point of the off-season, 6 weeks down, and 6 more to go

🍻Here’s to Hoping McLaren have learnt from their flaws, found some permanent work arounds, got on top of their tyre struggles, have 2 competitive drivers…and bag a whole heap of podiums 🏆

djos

the EDGE wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 13:43
🍻Here’s to Hoping McLaren have learnt from their flaws, found some permanent work arounds, got on top of their tyre struggles, have 2 competitive drivers…and bag a whole heap of podiums 🏆
Indeed! F1 without a competitive McLaren sucks! :(
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

djos wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 12:47
mwillems wrote:

A "work-around" is used to bypass a problem temporarily while a permanent fix is developed (those words have very specific definitions in problem management and engineering in general).
A work around is not assumed to totally fix an issue and the use of language is fine, I wasn't trying to have a dictionary competition.

The point being is that the car made less severe the issue of the tyres, and you follow it with a statement suggesting that the car had a flaw and that the drivers had some work to do too, so perhaps you just wrote it wrong, but the way it is written is the total opposite of what was actually said. The car made the tyres more manageable and Daniel didn't complement that.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

ScottR267
ScottR267

djos

mwillems wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 14:13
djos wrote:
30 Dec 2022, 12:47
mwillems wrote:

A work around is not assumed to totally fix an issue and the use of language is fine, I wasn't trying to have a dictionary competition.

The point being is that the car made less severe the issue of the tyres, and you follow it with a statement suggesting that the car had a flaw and that the drivers had some work to do too, so perhaps you just wrote it wrong, but the way it is written is the total opposite of what was actually said. The car made the tyres more manageable and Daniel didn't complement that.
Problem management is a key part of the function I manage. We, along with nearly every major industry, use the Kepner Tregoe Method of problem solving. So those words have very specific meanings.

If you were trained in problem management you would also recognise the intentional phrasing Andreas is using.
"In downforce we trust"