2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

deadhead wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 20:20
Is there a corner here that would induce the bouncing they've been struggling with?
Red Bull reduced their floor downforce and experimented with setup and Max is now complaining about bouncing and lack of confidence. Bumps can trigger floor downforce instability which leads to this mini bouncing, if the car is not setup just right
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 21:01
deadhead wrote:
Is there a corner here that would induce the bouncing they've been struggling with?
Red Bull reduced their floor downforce and experimented with setup and Max is now complaining about bouncing and lack of confidence. Bumps can trigger floor downforce instability which leads to this mini bouncing, if the car is not setup just right
Red Bulls bouncing isn't aerodynamically borne. It's a mechanical phenomenon in the low speed corners. He called it bouncing like a kangaroo in Monaco. There are no high speed corners here which would promote aero porpoising that Ferrari struggled with.

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 21:02
Red Bulls bouncing isn't aerodynamically borne. It's a mechanical phenomenon in the low speed corners. He called it bouncing like a kangaroo in Monaco. There are no high speed corners here which would promote aero porpoising that Ferrari struggled with.
Most of the teams sorted out their floors for aero induced bouncing by mid-2022. What happened later was mostly induced by bumps, kerbs etc, ie mechanical induced and amplified by aero. SF23A was so on the edge that it got triggered almost everywhere in the race, while Leclerc just managed to wrestle it with some success in Q

Ferrari put too much emphasis on vertical kicks on the keel with Spain floor and decided to remove all of them on Monza floor and the car now behaves as good as prime-F1-75 judging by driver feedback. Those vertical kicks are the most ground-effect dependant features on these cars. Red Bull removed rear keel kicks, but kept the ones in the middle of boat section. If you want photo evidence let me know :)

#BlessYouLaddie

ScuderiaLeo

How are we expecting the car's behaviour to change with the suspension and chassis next year? Asking only because I'm wondering if there's a chance Leclerc's throttle technique might become more difficult to execute with a different kind of suspension (based on the other cars) or is that just something we'll have to wait and see to find out?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 21:30
How are we expecting the car's behaviour to change with the suspension and chassis next year? Asking only because I'm wondering if there's a chance Leclerc's throttle technique might become more difficult to execute with a different kind of suspension (based on the other cars) or is that just something we'll have to wait and see to find out?
Leclerc has done this since Sauber.

avantman
avantman

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 21:36
ScuderiaLeo wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 21:30
Leclerc has done this since Sauber.
I don't think so. the telemetry from F1-tempo doesn't show this. He took this from Vettel who was doing that thing before, and Leclerc started doing this only in 2019.

Vanja #66

New Leclerc fans sprouting left and right lately :mrgreen:

#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

avantman wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 21:55

I don't think so. the telemetry from F1-tempo doesn't show this. He took this from Vettel who was doing that thing before, and Leclerc started doing this only in 2019.
It does. It started mid-season onwards (Austria onwards). You won't see it at the start. I wrote about this a few months ago in this thread.

Autobahn303
Autobahn303

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 22:03
New Leclerc fans sprouting left and right lately :mrgreen:
I been cheering for Charles since 2021 when I started watching F1 again after 7 years hiatus. I love he's driving style.

Waz
Waz

It's actually quite something that he has 4 Poles in a row at Baku, but this feels like the first time the car itself is good enough to win without some miracle.

Looking forward to a double podium.

aleks_ader

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 21:19
AR3-GP wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 21:02
Most of the teams sorted out their floors for aero induced bouncing by mid-2022. What happened later was mostly induced by bumps, kerbs etc, ie mechanical induced and amplified by aero. SF23A was so on the edge that it got triggered almost everywhere in the race, while Leclerc just managed to wrestle it with some success in Q

Ferrari put too much emphasis on vertical kicks on the keel with Spain floor and decided to remove all of them on Monza floor and the car now behaves as good as prime-F1-75 judging by driver feedback. Those vertical kicks are the most ground-effect dependant features on these cars. Red Bull removed rear keel kicks, but kept the ones in the middle of boat section. If you want photo evidence let me know :)
u talking about diufuzer rear keel?
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

deadhead

Whatever LEC's throttle technique is during breaking it seems to only happen when he is comfortable enough with the balance of the car, so I wouldn't expect it to be there all the time, and it's also probably track dependent.

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 21:01
deadhead wrote:
The while thing with the Red Bull car is rather strange to be honest... it went from being fast everywhere to a "diva"

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 21:19
prime-F1-75
Yes, please!

I really hope this is true for the rest of the season.

ScuderiaLeo

avantman wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 21:55
They're correct, the F1-tempo telemetry actually does this show it if you compare it to Ericsson's. There are a few races where he doesn't do it compared to later years and the amount is typically less than what he did starting from his Ferrari years, but I think you can attribute this to experience and comfort.

Random example from Spa 2018, Leclerc (red) Ericsson (white) and Sainz (yellow)

Anyway I didn't mean to start confusion, but him doing it back then doesn't change my question regarding the car's behaviour :lol: I guess to answer myself, we'll just have to wait and see.

f1316
f1316

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 19:33
f1316 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 18:32
Interesting that Charles keeps mentioning a new part (almost certainly on the suspension) that caused the issue in Q2. I wonder what that’s about but interesting they’re bringing new suspension parts.
I think it's a replacement/new steering box, not a newly designed.
I can see why that would be logical because “new part” doesn’t mean “newly designed part” and bringing new suspension parts is arguably a fairly big deal.

But Leclerc was quite coy in talking about it, which makes me think there may be more to it (and that could be a sign of more genuine - and less track specific - paced, if true):
” Nothing to do with the accident in the morning,” Leclerc clarified. “We had a problem with a new component that we had just put in the car, ]but I don’t want to go into too much detail,I’ll just say that I had a very strange feeling with the steering wheel. We solved it, we set off again and from that moment on everything went well.”
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... /10653903/

f1316
f1316

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 20:51
Xyz22 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 19:55
Why no one asks Leclerc why he uses the throttle while braking into the corners... No one in the grid does it.

Even in this track he is only one who is using a bit of throttle in each corner. The biggest difference is in the last one before the long straight, where all the other drivers are at 0% and he is at like 10ish %.
When front wheels are turned, they generate steering force and torque around CoG. As far as I understood when this was explained to me by vehicle dynamics engineers, when the car starts to pivot around CoG during steering, RWD cars induce oversteer with throttle application due to inertia of the rear end that "wants" to keep going straight and generates torque around CoG. With small amount of throttle, you can induce a bit of oversteer to your preferance, like Leclerc has

Again, I hope I understood and conveyed this explanation correctly. It's too small amount of throttle to really contribute to rear tyre remperature I think, so I think it's more about driving style (especially when he's comfortable with the car)

This is part of each drivers unique technique, we can't expect they'll explain this to anyone in public :mrgreen:
Actually Mark Hughes has an article about it: https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mark ... ualifying/