2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Ben1980 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:42
mwillems wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:33
As Anthony Davidson just said very well. This situation isn't because of the pit. It's because Lando squandered his start. None of this would have happened if he didn't lose yet more positions.
Though, as Nico said, it was a shift to second, that's not on Lando.
If it was the shift, he said. Lando has way too many issues at the starts.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Mtshali_Motorsport
Mtshali_Motorsport

stonehenge wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:23
There are 11 races left. If Norris finishes first in every race and Verstappen only second, he would gain 66 points. That's not enough. In other words, they need to make a decision now on whether they're going for it or not because the only way to beat Max in the WDC will be to have both drivers work together to help Norris. Piastri is too far back, so it's completely fair to put your chances on Norris. They have a real shot at this. The difference between 1st and 3rd is 10 points. That's a whole lot, and they WILL have races coming up where both McLarens are faster than Verstappen. But they need to make that call now and run with it. Otherwise they're throwing away a chance to win the WDC that they may not get again so quickly.
Honestly, the only way I see for Lando to have a real chance in the WDC is for other teams to intervene (Merc, Ferrari) to take points away from Verstappen if he doesn't get a chance on the podium. From my perspective, the next race in Spa is make or break for both teams. If McLaren can win there on merit given the fact Red Bull dominated in 2022 and 2023, this would be McLaren's championship to lose
Really hope they keep it together for the sake of them [-o<

BMMR61

Tactical error no question. It wasn't a bad decision it was a WRONG decision. Firstly it's protocol that the lead driver gets first shot of the fresh tyres. Second there was no undercut threat, the race was being managed perfectly. Until then. In the short term it probably won't damage harmony too much but the seeds of distrust are being sowed too often.

The rearranging of your drivers to facilitate winning the WDC doesn't normally occur (unless you were Schumacher) unless there is a tight situation in the points and winning is quite feasible. 76 point leads don't tend to evaporate, and Max isn't your normal driver, some say as good as Senna. The reason we are even in the zone of thinking about the WCC apart from having a fast reliable car, is we have two good drivers, Red Bull only have one. 51 points is well on and we need both drivers scoring heavily. Max will not stop winning.

Ben1980
Ben1980

I do feel we missed out on a battle between them, even if Oscar stopped first. Lando had the pace over him after the stop and it would have been a good fight.

But, the talk of drivers championship has always been a pipe dream. It's WCC that's important.

To see RBR and Max so rattled was interesting though. Especially after the big upgrade.

K1Plus
K1Plus

No way McLaren win Spa easily despite medium and fast corners, it will be tough.
Red Bull and Mercedes will be close, Mercedes is good in fast corners. Medium too.
It will be a very close battle.
Last edited by K1Plus on 21 Jul 2024, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

Seerix
Seerix

Great job by both drivers.
Strategy team, on the other hand, doing their best to have as awkward races as possible even with fastest car and P1 P2. IMO Lando did the right thing, but the team made him do it when they did not need to. They are overusing strategy calls on track to cover their indecisiveness. "Covering" the car 5s outside your pit window is certainly not winning mentality.
I believe the team had an agreement to hold positions once certain point in race was reached (something was mentioned by Will on radio - 'free to fight until mid 40s'). They were free to fight until then, but Osc just had a very strong stints 1/2 and overtaking in Hungary is almost impossible anyway, huge delta is needed.

Avocado
Avocado

thestig84 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:30
What am I on about?! 300 points?! Go back to your calculator. Max finishing runner up will give him the WDC that's the calculation that matters. Max will easily win again..WDC isn't the focus. That's what I'm on about
11 races, not 12, my mistake. But that's not the point. The bottom line is that there are still a lot of races and a lot of points available until the end of the season.

And no, you're not right. If Norris wins every race until the end of the season and Max is second, Norris will win 275 points and Max 198. The difference is 77 points. The current difference in the WDC is 76 points. And we are talking about racing. Anything can happen in 11 races, including five retirements from Max. No one knows how the season will go. You in the least.

chengzhongyi2013
chengzhongyi2013

Dimond wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:38
Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:36
Up to P2 in the constructors, by the way.
seems like nobody cares now lol, everybody's here for P1 only

Before you get to P1, you have to get to P2, be a solid P2, and understand how to consistently close the gap to P1.
The current situation is different (because Mclaren arguably has the fastest car), but this incremental approach (marginal gains, call it whatever it is) does not change.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Red Bull came with upgrades, to be honest, I was a lot less worried when it was reported because I knew there would be no input from Adrian Newey. I've read Aston Martin are the frontrunners for his signature, but I'm really hoping McLaren can pull off the heist of the century.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

MrGapes

Marc.W wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:21
wickedz50 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:13
My POV the eyes should be on the WDC at any cost. A win for Norris here still is a long shot at the WDC for this year. Both drivers has to work together for the bigger picture. The RBR is still super fast and in Max's hand it will be winning many more races. The team should thank LH for his defensive drive to keep charging Max behind on 2 key situation. The day Norris can defend his position against Max like what LH did today then I am sure he will be the WDC.
None the less the job is done 1-2. Hope that Spa will be as competitive as today. A RBR 1-2 there will be again be a tough ask for Mclaren.
I disagree, the team should always have eyes on the WCC, the WDC comes with it, Max is still over 3 race wins ahead on points, if by some chance that Lando misses out on the WDC this year by less than 7 points, then yes, we can come back to the call today, but realistically that isn't going to happen and we scored the maximum possible today for the more important WCC.
Max will also most likely take a PU penalty next race

BMMR61

Avocado wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:48
thestig84 wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 17:30
What am I on about?! 300 points?! Go back to your calculator. Max finishing runner up will give him the WDC that's the calculation that matters. Max will easily win again..WDC isn't the focus. That's what I'm on about
11 races, not 12, my mistake. But that's not the point. The bottom line is that there are still a lot of races and a lot of points available until the end of the season.

And no, you're not right. If Norris wins every race until the end of the season and Max is second, Norris will win 275 points and Max 198. The difference is 77 points. The current difference in the WDC is 76 points. And we are talking about racing. Anything can happen in 11 races, including five retirements from Max. No one knows how the season will go. You in the least.
You really don't get the team aspect. Undermine a driver and you dent his performances, this was one of the risks that this foolish undercut made possible. WDC is important but nobody doubts that one Max Verstappen will be the 2024 champion. Also, and it undermines my own position is your calculations don't include points available at the three remaining sprint events, and fastest laps - that's 35 points. Points swings of the magnitude needed only happened in the era of poor reliability. Red Bull or rather Max, would need a couple of DNFs, unlikely. We'll see, but team harmony is very very important. This was dented today and Mr Stella should be having strong words. I also think Will needs a reshuffle as the chemistry with Lando don't appear to be robust enough.

Ben1980
Ben1980

I must admit.

I bloody loved the drama.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Lando said on sky he had a good launch, but then a cut in shift when shifting to second gear. Nico Rosberg said it was on tje car. What do you all think?

the EDGE
the EDGE

Lando could have won today...

If he'd brought his tyre's in correctly in the opening laps of the stint, then backed off just in the 2 corners he was told to (that were causing the most deg), let Piastri catch him slowly but earlier (stressing his tyres more), then let him pass just before DRS line, his tyres would have been in a better place, and he'd of had a fighting chance to pass on track

I think Will was coaching Lando on exactly how to do this, only Lando didn't realise this
Last edited by the EDGE on 21 Jul 2024, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.

Ben1980
Ben1980

the EDGE wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 18:25
Lando could have won today...

If he'd brought his tyre's in correctly in the opening laps of the stint, then backed off just in the 2 corners he was told to (that were causing the most deg), let Piastri catch him slowly but earlier (stressing his tyres more), then let him pass just before DRS line, his tyres would have been in a better place, and he'd of had a fitting chance to pass on track

I think Will was coaching Lando on exactly how to do this, only Lando didn't realise this
I think if Oscar didn't dip a whell when he came out, he woukd have allowed him pass much earlier. Just Oscar went so far backwards quite quickly.