Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
korzeniow
korzeniow

Re: Lotus E21 Renault

That's because the rest of the staff isn't mounted yet:

Right click for hi-res.

What's really strange is that the senson under the car is in fact duct-taped :shock:
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

stefan_
stefan_

Australia 2013 - FP3 & Q1 (16.03.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Blackout

korzeniow wrote:That's because the rest of the staff isn't mounted yet:

http://i.imgur.com/6sNq0en.jpg

Right click for hi-res.

What's really strange is that the senson under the car is in fact duct-taped :shock:
I know. I mean the anti-roll bar and the steering rack especially... they were always exposed in the last Enstone cars. But now they're placed inside the monocoque. It's just an observation. A monocoque that is, as you know, veeery similar to the E20 monocoque. E20 and E21 chassis are probably and by far the most similar chassis Enston made since 2002 atleast.

I wonder why they made that change... what could they gain...

stefan_
stefan_

Australia 2013 - Sunday (Q2/Q3/Race) - 17.03.2013

Car unsealed from parc ferme

via Lotus F1 Team

Last edited by stefan_ on 17 Mar 2013, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Gridlock

A lot more sparks from underneath both Lotus cars than any other car I saw on track? Anyone else notice this?

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Gridlock wrote:A lot more sparks from underneath both Lotus cars than any other car I saw on track? Anyone else notice this?
Yes, they like bottoming out. It was present in the 2012, too.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

Huntresa
Huntresa

Gridlock wrote:A lot more sparks from underneath both Lotus cars than any other car I saw on track? Anyone else notice this?
Yeah but i think we saw that last year aswell if im not mistaken, atleast during some races. I guess they want to run lower or can run lower with their car design.

Leon
Leon

yeah, very interesting, reminded me the good old days of F1
"Clouds now and again
give a soul some respite from
moon-gazing-behold."

Matsuo Basho

Rikhart
Rikhart

One of the things they upgraded A LOT was their top speed... It was impressive seeing Kimi easily overtake a mercedes (whose tyres were not yet shot), typically one of the fastest in a straight line.

Neno
Neno

Leon wrote:
yeah, very interesting, reminded me the good old days of F1
also let's not forget Melbourne is quiet bumpy track, but sure Lotus can run car much lower then others. Unlike Red Bulls who's run quiet beat of rake, Lotus have completly different philoshopy in lowering car floor and rear end with soft rear suspension

munudeges
munudeges

Neno wrote:Unlike Red Bulls who's run quiet beat of rake, Lotus have completly different philoshopy in lowering car floor and rear end with soft rear suspension
Yes. Running with a reasonable level of rake has been the de jour direction to go in in the past few years but it's that much more difficult to get an exhaust effect to compensate for that now.

korzeniow
korzeniow

Talking about rake:

This is from the begining of the race, as you can see Maldonado in the backgroud:

I'm affraid there isn't a much diffrence between Lotus' and RBR's

This is Kimi crossing the line:

On low fuel the rake seems to be lower :? :?:
Last edited by korzeniow on 17 Mar 2013, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
February 5, 2013

korzeniow
korzeniow

On the prictures below you can see how front wing's upper flap is adjusted:

February 5, 2013

Paul

Maybe they're running soft heave, that's why the rear seems closer to the ground at speed and there are a lot of sparks...

skwdenyer
skwdenyer

korzeniow wrote:Talking about rake:

On low fuel the rake seems to be lower :? :?:
This was notable during the race. This is something which can be achieved with some clever geometry and inter-linked suspension. It is also, I imagine, conceptually possible to design an inerter / heave spring combination which 'ratchets down' over time. Hard to organise if you can't relatively accurately predict the bumps in the track, but not impossible. Perhaps better to arrange it so that a certain number of hard stops (a relatively predictable figure on a per-lap basis) result in a certain altering in ride height / rake...?