2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Same one as Silverstone?
Just a fan's point of view

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

CjC wrote:
25 Jul 2024, 11:04
Same one as Silverstone?
Looks similar. Given that they brought a high speed package in Silverstone, that is to be expected.

Btw in Silverstone they opted to use other rear wing because there rain was expected in the race.

MTudor
MTudor

Tvetovnato wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 20:25
Mezger wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 17:18
It is time for the team to support Lando and give maximum effort for him to close in on the WDC. He deserves it after his long term commitment.
With a stronger Oscar backing him up it will make the team work harder and in doing so they can easily take the WCC.
As a team effort they can show the sport what they have achieved over the last long years of struggling and aiming to be back on top.
Let's bring home the WDC and WCC in 2024, as a team.
I think it’s too early. With Piastris development curve already being this close to Norris, it’s not certain who is the best long term bet for McLaren. They are not ready to fight for a WDC this year anyhow, neither Norris, Piastri or McLaren, so might as well treat both as fairly they can and then decide should they need. Both are strong enough to bring the WCC home this year however, so better let them do that and let the best man win on a given day. It will benefit the team long term I think.

Yeah,when you think how poorly he was at managing the tyres last year in the races and this year is up there with Lando,Oscar's progress is really impresive.

Macafangrskg
Macafangrskg

If the weather prediction stay as it is now - and that is a big if as we speak about SPA - the second practice will be crucial. The prediction is for rain in FP1 cloud in FP2 then Saturday showers for FP3 and Q .Only clouds for race day. So you have to set up for low drag for the race and run with it in Qualification with possibility to drop 4 to 5 places compare with someone who will run medium downforce. But coming race day the passing opportunities for low drag will be plenty. Red Bull with Max Verstappen will have the a tricky situation due to 10 grid penalty if they change PU. Because if they go for low drag and it is raining and some teams take the risk with medium he can slip to 15 - 16 in the grid

Ir3NiCuS
Ir3NiCuS

Whatever is going to happen during the 2nd half of the year I hope in 2025 the team will develop a car that is performing on day one

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Lucky wrote:
25 Jul 2024, 10:53
Finally! A completely new low-downforce rear wing. Now let's see how effective it will be in Spa, Monza, Baku and Las Vegas.

FNTC
FNTC

FIA flex wing cameras fitted either side of the "FXPro" logo. How low can you go? :-s

geogate
geogate

Mclaren dont have number 1 drivers. Even in the days of Senna, he wasnt a number 1. Its only just half way through the season and you want one of our drivers to work for the other guy? Some of you are following the wrong team

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

geogate wrote:
25 Jul 2024, 21:45
Mclaren dont have number 1 drivers. Even in the days of Senna, he wasnt a number 1. Its only just half way through the season and you want one of our drivers to work for the other guy? Some of you are following the wrong team
You clearly didn't follow the team in 1998 when Coulthard allowed Mika to pass him for the win in Australia.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

PapayaFan481 wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 02:39
geogate wrote:
25 Jul 2024, 21:45
You clearly didn't follow the team in 1998 when Coulthard allowed Mika to pass him for the win in Australia.
You mean Coulthard respected a pre-race agreement that they wouldn’t race each other and whomever was at the front after the first lap was giving priority? The same race where Mika led the GP until lap 36 and lost the lead after the pit stops?… If that’s the race you are referring to, it had nothing to do with a “#1 and #2 driver”.

mwillems

Lando repeating what I'd said previously. Pit wall could have been clear and Lando should have given the place back earlier as he could have mounted a fresh challenge. Also feels very much not proud that he overshadowed Oscar's first win with his behaviour.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... iming-call

Anyways, can wait for Spa. I'm working from home today so I can watch the FP sessions. It has to be my favourite track.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Just seen on the staff movement page that Charles Osio has joined McLaren from Ferrari after over 8 years there. He's joined as Aerodynamics project leader. I don't know him, but find it interesting that they're still hiring staff for relatively senior roles.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

mwillems wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 08:36
Lando repeating what I'd said previously. Pit wall could have been clear and Lando should have given the place back earlier as he could have mounted a fresh challenge. Also feels very much not proud that he overshadowed Oscar's first win with his behaviour.

That was the fault of the pit wall, Stella should have gotten on the radio and ordered Lando to give the place back.
I'm not a fan of team orders, but I get why McLaren did what they did. They are focused on securing maximum points in the chase for the constructors. I guess they probably think Lando winning the drivers title is a long shot.
Anyways, can wait for Spa. I'm working from home today so I can watch the FP sessions. It has to be my favourite track.
I love Spa for the sheer speed and of course Murray Walker's iconic commentary around the bus stop chicane (well iconic for me at any rate).
Guess newer fans might not know that parts of the track at Spa were public roads up until 2000, I think.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

taperoo2k wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 10:54
mwillems wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 08:36

That was the fault of the pit wall, Stella should have gotten on the radio and ordered Lando to give the place back.
I think that it is good that Stella did not come onto the radio and that Lando and his engineer figured it out.

Macafangrskg
Macafangrskg

Small change but significant in weather update. Today prediction remain unchanged.FP1 wet , FP2 dry. Tomorrow FP3 Wet but Q dry . Temps today in the dry about 21C then in Q on Saturday drop to 17C and on race dry and back to 21C. The FP2 is very important today about race pace and Q trim since it will be the only dry session