2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

BMMR61 wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 12:56
Dimond wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 11:04
Seerix wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 07:56

Hardly, Lando came out 4,5s ahead of HAM. They easily had at least 2 more laps to order pits however they wanted.
2 more laps and 4.5 would have reduced to 2-3. A small mistake in the pits and he would have rejoined behind HAM on a track where it's very hard to overtake.
The panic on the Lando pit wall must have been extreme - "OMG, Lewis is catching at a second a lap on his new tyres!"
Both our drivers were circulating serenely (mostly) in the low 24s and Lewis on fresh new tyres emerged doing low 23s.

This is symptomatic of the malaise on that side of the garage. They had laps to spare with an inherently much quicker car with the favoured medium tyres to go on. For some reason they compounded the team order snafu by waiting another two laps to service Oscar.

We love our team but when you wait 3 years for a 1-2 finish and it's tainted this way..... words can't express it. What "they" did put their drivers through unnecessary stress when an effortless cruise to the chequered flag was given a bitter taste. Not proud of this one and I think Andrea is protecting some butts that need kicking, though not publicly. I thought having Singh on the podium felt like an "up yours" to those questioning clearly faulty decision making. I think Tom Stallard would have been a far more appropriate person to get sprayed but there you are, I'm not the manager.
I guess “tainted” is in the eyes of the beholder… I didn’t really fell for all the drama created by the commentary during the race, nor do I spend much time in social media wondering about other people reactions or opinions about the race.

It was a great weekend overall, a 1-2 in Qualifying followed by a 1-2 in the race… With a bit of drama and back and forth due to the undercut… I fully expected Lando to try to argue his case to stay upfront, was actually surprised by Piastri not having more back and forth to get the swap done… Not bothered at all with the back and forth between Lando and Will and actually appreciated Will trying to “convince” Lando why ultimately it was the right thing to do.

Just as Lando will probably not regret his first win even with the controversy about the SC, I don’t think Piastri will regret his with the controversy about Team orders… Both are now Grand Prix winners and that’s what history will show.

Finally, the reason why I have been a McLaren fan since I started watching Formula 1, 30+ years ago is mainly because they weren’t like Ferrari or Red Bull or Mercedes, it’s a Team that always felt “different” and hope they continue that way.

Macklaren
Macklaren

SmallSoldier wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 20:44
BMMR61 wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 12:56
Dimond wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 11:04

2 more laps and 4.5 would have reduced to 2-3. A small mistake in the pits and he would have rejoined behind HAM on a track where it's very hard to overtake.
The panic on the Lando pit wall must have been extreme - "OMG, Lewis is catching at a second a lap on his new tyres!"
Both our drivers were circulating serenely (mostly) in the low 24s and Lewis on fresh new tyres emerged doing low 23s.

This is symptomatic of the malaise on that side of the garage. They had laps to spare with an inherently much quicker car with the favoured medium tyres to go on. For some reason they compounded the team order snafu by waiting another two laps to service Oscar.

We love our team but when you wait 3 years for a 1-2 finish and it's tainted this way..... words can't express it. What "they" did put their drivers through unnecessary stress when an effortless cruise to the chequered flag was given a bitter taste. Not proud of this one and I think Andrea is protecting some butts that need kicking, though not publicly. I thought having Singh on the podium felt like an "up yours" to those questioning clearly faulty decision making. I think Tom Stallard would have been a far more appropriate person to get sprayed but there you are, I'm not the manager.
I guess “tainted” is in the eyes of the beholder… I didn’t really fell for all the drama created by the commentary during the race, nor do I spend much time in social media wondering about other people reactions or opinions about the race.

It was a great weekend overall, a 1-2 in Qualifying followed by a 1-2 in the race… With a bit of drama and back and forth due to the undercut… I fully expected Lando to try to argue his case to stay upfront, was actually surprised by Piastri not having more back and forth to get the swap done… Not bothered at all with the back and forth between Lando and Will and actually appreciated Will trying to “convince” Lando why ultimately it was the right thing to do.

Just as Lando will probably not regret his first win even with the controversy about the SC, I don’t think Piastri will regret his with the controversy about Team orders… Both are now Grand Prix winners and that’s what history will show.

Finally, the reason why I have been a McLaren fan since I started watching Formula 1, 30+ years ago is mainly because they weren’t like Ferrari or Red Bull or Mercedes, it’s a Team that always felt “different” and hope they continue that way.
Fantastic

mwillems

It's a nice way to look at it I guess. But the issue sits more about what would have happened if Lando didn't give the position back. If Stella can't trust his driver to follow his instructions when he has a very clear set of rules and a clear idea of the culture and behaviours of Mclaren, then yes, there is a serious issue. That's not to say it can't be rectified, but it's much easier to break something than to fix it. Then there is the division in the team around the behaviour, the impact on the relationship with Oscar who pitted second on the understanding he'd get the place back if there's an undercut. I think the chances that it would not have a negative impact on the trust and relationships in the team are close to zero.

Aside from that, it was another strategy communication/call from Mclaren in a long line of not clever calls and it's totally right I think that it is called out and discussed.

Much as it is nice to pretend it was always going to be rosy, I think that was highly unlikely if he didn't pit. Much as Oscar is a nice lad, I don't think he would have an issue taking the gloves off, and nobody needs these two drivers with their gloves off right now. Or an enhanced competitiveness and point to prove on track causing incidents between drivers who are often close, including at the starts and run down to turn 1. Or one driver refusing to do anything to help the the other driver ad team out because they now only want to protect their own race
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

And ultimately they found out that the driver (Lando) can be trusted to make the right decision… If the question is whether Norris would follow team orders, we got the answer.

Everyone will have an opinion in regards to the Pit Sequence… I would have done exactly the same thing McLaren did… You are on track for a 1-2, which is not very common in F1 nowadays… From a risk mitigation perspective, pitting Lando first is your best choice to ensure that 1-2, why risk it?… Risk mitigation is looking at all possible scenarios (Safety Car Window, Slow PitStop, Pace of the cars following)… The one that mitigated the risk the most in regards to the 1-2 was pitting Lando and there was confidence from the team that he would give the position back and he did.

mwillems

Right. But the commentary that you refer to is how close it came to a quite serious turn of events. So that commentary is warranted. And I do not think anyone, including the team, could really be that confident that Lando was going to cede the position. It was very clear listening to Will Joseph that he was increasingly becoming more assertive and going to greater lengths to persuade Lando to swap, that no way was "sure" he was going to swap. Thinking anyone knew the commentators were really wrong in that situation is confusing hope and belief with any actual fact or knowledge. The fact that he did eventually swap is besides the point. The team created a situation that could have had big consequences, through the strategy and the way it was communicated and was the kind of position that could ultimately derail a Constructors Championship AND a drivers championship if we end up with two drivers fighting and costing each other and ignoring team instructions at critical times. Pretending to always know the outcome of a racing drivers decision, before it has happened, is disingenuous at the least.

it was only when Will Joseph made the double edged remark about the Sunday morning meetings, where it was clear in the past what they'd been instructed to do, and that in future he would have to look these people in the eye and discuss team decisions again, that Lando made his choice.

Edit: Somehow I wrote pit several times when I meant "swap"
Last edited by mwillems on 25 Jul 2024, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

mwillems

In any case, I don't like the conservative nature of the strategy, but my point this weekend was less about the strategy and more about the way it was communicated. I believe strongly that the complaints about Will Joseph at the previous race were misguided and unfair. But at this race, he did a poor job of being clear from the outset and I see this as more of an issue than the strategy.

The drivers are at the pointy end of a championship, literally everything they have ever dreamed about. F1 drivers are selfish and would throw their own mothers under the bus for a championship. The team need to wake up and stop pretending that everything is just the same, no one has temptation and the drivers aren't some of the most competitive beasts on the planet. They are very slow to acclimatise to the front and this may cost them the WCC, and that would be a very sad turn of events as we don't know that we will be as close even later in the year, let alone next year or after the '26 regs.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

I honestly don't believe there was any chance Lando wasn't going to give up position but...I do think be trued to manufacture a position when giving up wasn't the best option. But, as soon as Max crashed, that all became null and void. The only way would have been a flying Max, who had previously been very fast in comparison, attached to a a big Lando lead. Giving up at that point would have been too risky.

But, I still think the team did tge tight thing, and considering they said the stop wasn't to undercut Oscar was pretty clear, maybe they panicked though.

DragonSGC
DragonSGC

I do agree with members that it is time to back Lando to fight for WDC. Do I think while it's mathematically possible, that he won't win it, sure. But there are lessons the team needs to learn now so if they do have a shot next season the lessons have been learnt irrespective of which driver actually becomes title contender next season if the car is worthy.

Lucky
Lucky

Good news

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

There is more chatter that Verstappen will take a new engine in Spa, giving him a 10 grid drop penalty (Sky just reported it from "sources").

If that happens, the team needs to capitalize on this. Norris should do all he can to get pole and a win.

Lucky
Lucky

FittingMechanics wrote:
25 Jul 2024, 08:30
There is more chatter that Verstappen will take a new engine in Spa, giving him a 10 grid drop penalty (Sky just reported it from "sources").

If that happens, the team needs to capitalize on this. Norris should do all he can to get pole and a win.
Mercedes can be very fast.

mwillems

Yeah seems like a good chance to get a good points haul. I think RB will be fastest here, but hopefully the grid drop will offer us some hope.

Still, Max will get a ton of tows and DRS and will likely get back to the front.

Let's see how Merc do here.

-Bandit

BMMR61

mwillems wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 23:19
In any case, I don't like the conservative nature of the strategy, but my point this weekend was less about the strategy and more about the way it was communicated. I believe strongly that the complaints about Will Joseph at the previous race were misguided and unfair. But at this race, he did a poor job of being clear from the outset and I see this as more of an issue than the strategy.

The drivers are at the pointy end of a championship, literally everything they have ever dreamed about. F1 drivers are selfish and would throw their own mothers under the bus for a championship. The team need to wake up and stop pretending that everything is just the same, no one has temptation and the drivers aren't some of the most competitive beasts on the planet. They are very slow to acclimatise to the front and this may cost them the WCC, and that would be a very sad turn of events as we don't know that we will be as close even later in the year, let alone next year or after the '26 regs.
Mostly agreed. As a self correction, I feel my use of "tainted" gave the wrong impression - morally wrong etc. My main issue was the needlessness of the undercut. It came back to "conservative" strategy that McLaren have been guilty of since before they became competitive. Now they are very competitive it's become more obvious. I agree the way the strategy was communicated was poor, particularly Will to Lando "at your convenience" - gnashing of teeth!!! Pleading - not a good piece of leadership. I'm not going to be impudent enough to suggest what better way, just what isn't good.

Regards the WCC, it's there for the taking. Both drivers scoring big points every race and it's near to being done.

Regards the WDC, it's possible/likely that Lando will reduce the 76 point lead Max has by the end of the season. Taking the title is an extreme unlikelihood - Max would need to have several DNFs. At this stage put it out of mind, why? Because the team harmony needs to continue to achieve the first goal, the WCC. Team harmony, what? McLaren are lucky at this point in our drivers' careers that they are malleable and Lando's response at Hungary showed the delicacy of the balance. 2025 could be the tipping point, later this year could be the tipping point if an early team orders protocol is adopted. 11 race weekends is far too early to chase rainbows. I respect that every F1 follower has different ideas on team orders, I'm glad McLaren respect both drivers, always have.

mwillems

The WCC is subject to future results which is subject to development of the current cars.

Will RB continue to try to spend all of 25 focusing on the 26 car, or will that change? Will Merc continue their trajectory? Who knows. Let's not count our chickens before the eggs hatch.

RB still have to be favourites and we have to assume that one or two poor races from Perez and there will come a second driver to collect additional points. If they Perez had done a decent job the WCC would have been almost over by now.

-Bandit

Lucky
Lucky