2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

LionsHeart wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 08:10
mwillems wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 21:30
LionsHeart wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 21:25

I just gave an example. You can display the picture in different ways. One option is to do it the way you wrote. Divide it into mini sectors and find the time in each sector. Based on this, get the average speed on each segment. In general, even on the telemetry that you attached, you can already see where the cars are fast. In general, telemetry is needed to visually show the pace and speed of the car.
It does. But most people want a simple visualisation and impactful colours like on the top speed charts, so you want to break it down into the key numbers, not too many of them, in a way that is easily digested by the average fan. We've spoken at length so it might be worth me reiterating that it is those top speed charts that I think are quite misleading and I would replace with another tweetable and digestible visualisation.
In this case, you need to take the segment starting from the exit of the turn and then to the end of the straight segment. And calculate the amount of time the car has traveled. The faster it travels, the faster the car. :D
Yeah that is what I was saying, but I'd include corners and their metrics too.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

_cerber1

Lando has kept both Hard and Medium tyres, which will give him a good choice for the race.
Today is expected to rain all day, and whatever McLaren has to sacrifice, the wet qualifying will require more downforce, which could have a negative effect on the race. Dilemma.

mwillems

MrGapes wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 04:52
I’m thinking if you are Oscar and Lando, and you feel you have a healthy advantage to the rest (bar a charging verstappen from the back) you probably don’t want to be on pole.
We need Verstappen to be as far back as possible in Q to make life easier. If we can get two Mclarens in front then he'll have another 2 midfielders to deal with.

-Bandit

MrGapes

In terms of downforce levels... Mclaren ran two specs of beam wings yesterday between FP1 and FP2.

Both BWs were single element, but the FP1 beam wing was far less cranked (lower df.)

With rain on the radar today and with priority on the dry race I think there is a possible 3 options they could run

1. Either they have a more cranked single element BW
2. Run a flat horizontal 2nd BW element
3. Stick with the same package (car had good performance in Sector 2 and will probably have to make it up tomorrow in the race tomorrow)

I expect they will split the cars if its wet fp3 one will remain on the normal one spec, and the other higher.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

_cerber1 wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 08:17
The first time I saw this was when I was watching the onboard race in China.

stonehenge
stonehenge

mwillems wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 08:30
MrGapes wrote:
I’m thinking if you are Oscar and Lando, and you feel you have a healthy advantage to the rest (bar a charging verstappen from the back) you probably don’t want to be on pole.
We need Verstappen to be as far back as possible in Q to make life easier. If we can get two Mclarens in front then he'll have another 2 midfielders to deal with.
I disagree. McLaren can comfortably focus on setting up the car for the race knowing that they will have track position vs. Verstappen no matter what. Even P11 will be too far back for Verstappen to win without a safety car or red flag, so no need to prioritize qualifying. The real issue is the different conditions between Saturday and Sunday. Especially here in Spa there’s quite a big difference between ideal dry and wet setups, since the track has very different characteristics in sector 1&3 vs 2. Some teams will undoubtedly gamble on a higher starting position by compromising their dry pace (if it does indeed rain). McLaren looks comfortably ahead of everyone but Verstappen though, and so in this regard, too, they should have the advantage of being able to prioritize Sunday.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

MrGapes wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 08:50
In terms of downforce levels... Mclaren ran two specs of beam wings yesterday between FP1 and FP2.

Both BWs were single element, but the FP1 beam wing was far less cranked (lower df.)

With rain on the radar today and with priority on the dry race I think there is a possible 3 options they could run

1. Either they have a more cranked single element BW
2. Run a flat horizontal 2nd BW element
3. Stick with the same package (car had good performance in Sector 2 and will probably have to make it up tomorrow in the race tomorrow)

I expect they will split the cars if its wet fp3 one will remain on the normal one spec, and the other higher.
Since overtaking is possible here and the race will be dry, it makes sense to stick with the option that was in the second practice. You can sacrifice a little qualifying, but be very fast in the race. Points are not given out in qualifying yet.

mwillems

stonehenge wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 09:23
mwillems wrote:
MrGapes wrote:
I disagree. McLaren can comfortably focus on setting up the car for the race knowing that they will have track position vs. Verstappen no matter what. Even P11 will be too far back for Verstappen to win without a safety car or red flag, so no need to prioritize qualifying. The real issue is the different conditions between Saturday and Sunday. Especially here in Spa there’s quite a big difference between ideal dry and wet setups, since the track has very different characteristics in sector 1&3 vs 2. Some teams will undoubtedly gamble on a higher starting position by compromising their dry pace (if it does indeed rain). McLaren looks comfortably ahead of everyone but Verstappen though, and so in this regard, too, they should have the advantage of being able to prioritize Sunday.
I didn't say anything about setup, just that you'd not want to avoid pole.

But regarding setup, Lando has said that adding downforce might be the way they will go.

Adding DF will help in both the race and in the wet qualifying. It won't affect single lap pace enough that the tyre benefits won't overcome.
Last edited by mwillems on 27 Jul 2024, 09:39, edited 2 times in total.

-Bandit

stonehenge
stonehenge

mwillems wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 09:26
stonehenge wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 09:23
mwillems wrote:

I didn't say anything about setup, just that you'd not want to avoid pole.

But regarding setup, Lando has said that adding downforce might be the way they will go.

Adding DF will help in both the race and in the wet qualifying.
Oh you’re right. My bad. I didn’t see the post you were quoting. Yes, you’re right, what nonsense. You always want to be on pole. What a ridiculous thing to say.

mwillems

I think the post might have been suggesting a dry race focus. But in the race you're happier with more Downforce, within limits, because it protects the tyres. Teams will often balance that against expected qualifying performance and how easy it is to overtake.

It's no issue here to add some downforce because it will help the one lap pace today and it will protect the tyres tomorrow. Now the issue is how much to add, because as Lando has found out before, Spa is treacherous in the wet.

-Bandit

BMMR61

mwillems wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 09:41
I think the post might have been suggesting a dry race focus. But in the race you're happier with more Downforce, within limits, because it protects the tyres. Teams will often balance that against expected qualifying performance and how easy it is to overtake.

It's no issue here to add some downforce because it will help the one lap pace today and it will protect the tyres tomorrow. Now the issue is how much to add, because as Lando has found out before, Spa is treacherous in the wet.
For McLaren getting pole is quite important, as having a straightline speed differential for overtaking looks unlikely. This will also be the conundrum for Max as he will have some overtaking to get done to get on terms with the McLAren drivers. So it's a delicate balancing act for all concerned, I wouldn't want to be in Red Bull's position though - making up the places it normally does with easy will not be quite ass straightforward. The forecast has just shifted to heavier rain now. I am thinking if this becomes reality, cranking on more downforce will be necessary to get through to Q3. How much, who can guess.

mwillems

Just cranking downforce might not work as there will be such a material difference in the dry race tomorrow that those cars with excessive downforce may suffer. So it is the balance. Basically, what DF do you think will get you round the track safely, is probably the right downforce.

-Bandit

Luscion
Luscion

According to Ted Norrris' floor is being changed, damage from running wide into the gravel

mwillems

This will be a fun qualifying and a showcase of driver skill. I just hope the boys stay on the track.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Stating on track will be a lottery for us fans.
I think Max will take pole, he’ll have that 3/4 second advantage that we saw in FP1. McLaren should show a strong hand though
Just a fan's point of view