2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Vanja #66 wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 17:32

As for Baku and Singapore, both issues are car related. It doesn't generate heat in tyres quickly enough and it suffers in Q and cold races. Leclerc lost about 4s to Piastri and almost all of it was in his outlap in Baku.
It's catch 22. This is also why Ferrari has no tire wear this season.
A lion must kill its prey.

CjC
CjC

Go easy on me, it’s took a lot of ‘courage’ for me to post this

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/alons ... /10657674/

Alonso reckons Ferrari had the ‘fastest car all weekend’ in Singapore
Just a fan's point of view

Vanja #66

bananapeel23 wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 17:21
Vanja feel free to correct me if I'm just talking nonsense.
That's one of several valid explanations I see of events in the past period, bar several tiny details. I will skip on those as I'm not anywhere near knowledgable enough to discuss suspension detail, so I don't want to misslead anyone reading :)

However, pull rod vs push rod is typically mostly about aero and packaging. There is a feature of pull rod design, where you need to be careful of pull rod angle to horizontal plane, if it's too small you induce crazy amount of load in the rod. Even if it isn't, it can get more load than a push rod experiences in most cases. Other than that, both concepts have their well-known operation and packaging differences and details and the choice between the two does not necesarily influence any aspect of vehicle dynamics, if you've designed them both properly and taking into account all details. Also, pull rod sits lower in the tub, so it lowers CoG a tiny bit :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 19:30
bananapeel23 wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 17:21
Vanja feel free to correct me if I'm just talking nonsense.
That's one of several valid explanations I see of events in the past period, bar several tiny details. I will skip on those as I'm not anywhere near knowledgable enough to discuss suspension detail, so I don't want to misslead anyone reading :)

However, pull rod vs push rod is typically mostly about aero and packaging. There is a feature of pull rod design, where you need to be careful of pull rod angle to horizontal plane, if it's too small you induce crazy amount of load in the rod. Even if it isn't, it can get more load than a push rod experiences in most cases. Other than that, both concepts have their well-known operation and packaging differences and details and the choice between the two does not necesarily influence any aspect of vehicle dynamics, if you've designed them both properly and taking into account all details. Also, pull rod sits lower in the tub, so it lowers CoG a tiny bit :)
The pull rod is also typically lighter than a pushrod because a rod under compression must also withstand the buckling phenomena which doesn't exist with a pull rod.
A lion must kill its prey.

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 18:18
It's just overcorrection-24 :lol:

Sorry, forgot to reply earlier. No, honestly, I don't think it's any kind of catch. Track position is king and it was so in 2nd half of 23 and I can't imagine a reasonable explanation to forgo Q performance
in exchange for somewhat better deg performance. My guess is losing Q performance wasn't intended or at least they didn't anticipate such a big loss compared to SF23, ie overcorrection

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 19:45
The pull rod is also typically lighter than a pushrod because a rod under compression must also withstand the buckling phenomena which doesn't exist with a pull rod.
Indeed, as far as I know... Though it can depend on this pull rod angle, if you are forced to keep it more horizontal (for some reason) loads can get astronomical
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

CjC wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 19:00

McL was quicker.

f1316
f1316

CjC wrote:

No need to feel nervous! Thank you for posting and contributing!

Imho this is a bit of Alonso showing how well he did by overemphasising the strength of the car just in front, mixed with the fact that Ferrari were genuinely very strong. I do think McLaren - Norris in particular - were a little stronger though.

DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio

CjC wrote:

See, you are making progress =D>

CjC
CjC

DoctorRadio wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 20:48
CjC wrote:

:roll: :lol:
I thought about replying to you with a surly response in the Mclaren thread but I saw Mr Alonso had given me an opportunity to make light hearted of the situation

DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio

CjC wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 20:58
DoctorRadio wrote:
CjC wrote:

I thought about replying to you with a surly response in the Mclaren thread but I saw Mr Alonso had given me an opportunity to make light hearted of the situation
Why surly?
This is F1 guys, don’t take it too seriously.

CjC
CjC

f1316 wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 20:24
CjC wrote:

Imho this is a bit of Alonso showing how well he did by overemphasising the strength of the car just in front, mixed with the fact that Ferrari were genuinely very strong. I do think McLaren - Norris in particular - were a little stronger though.
I appreciate the welcome but my reffering to needing ‘courage’ was a naughty response to something DoctorRadio said in the Mclaren thread yesterday :lol:
Im a 12 year veteran really :twisted:

Anyway, yes I too believe it was just Alonso massaging his ego after a fairly decent drive

CjC
CjC

DoctorRadio wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 21:03
CjC wrote:
DoctorRadio wrote:

Why surly?
To be honest I thought your ‘courage’ comment was a tad patronising but as I generally can’t be bothered with the bickering I just left it. I’d rather have some light hearted humour once the dust had settled :)

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Vanja #66 wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 20:19
AR3-GP wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 18:18
It's just overcorrection-24 :lol:

Sorry, forgot to reply earlier. No, honestly, I don't think it's any kind of catch. Track position is king and it was so in 2nd half of 23 and I can't imagine a reasonable explanation to forgo Q performance
in exchange for somewhat better deg performance. My guess is losing Q performance wasn't intended or at least they didn't anticipate such a big loss compared to SF23, ie overcorrection

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 19:45
Indeed, as far as I know... Though it can depend on this pull rod angle, if you are forced to keep it more horizontal (for some reason) loads can get astronomical
Sorry but it is catch 22. Last year we all complained about the tyre deg situation and the complete lack of race pace as a result of this.
We were getting poles but couldn’t hold them because the tyres would go away so quick.
There’s a balance, and MCL has it right in the sweet spot. Thats clear, and that’s ok. I don’t think Ferrari are too far away if I’m honest.

DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio

CjC wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 21:09
DoctorRadio wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 21:03
CjC wrote:

Why surly?
To be honest I thought your ‘courage’ comment was a tad patronising but as I generally can’t be bothered with the bickering I just left it. I’d rather have some light hearted humour once the dust had settled :)
Ok :)

scuderiabrandon

CjC wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 21:04
f1316 wrote:
24 Sep 2024, 20:24
CjC wrote:

I appreciate the welcome but my reffering to needing ‘courage’ was a naughty response to something DoctorRadio said in the Mclaren thread yesterday :lol:
Im a 12 year veteran really :twisted:

Anyway, yes I too believe it was just Alonso massaging his ego after a fairly decent drive
Alonso will take a dig at Ferrari at every opportunity he gets. I'm sure you can find at least 4 articles on 4 different occasions this season alone where he has done said similar things.