2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season (yes this includes ALO and VET too!

He's obviously going to Mclaren. Ron Dennis hinted that he would hire Alonso again last time. Mclaren's philosophy is to have the fastest drivers available in their cars - remember that people! it is no denying that Alonso is the fastest available driver.

I have a juicy bit of meat that says that both Macca driver's contracts are still NOT SIGNED. Their perfromances were below the level that Ron Dennis wants and at least one of them will be out the door.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

dans79

SunsAnvil wrote:Alonso said that the team he goes to will not have a Merc engine so that rules out Mer, Williams, F-India and Lotus.....
I would recommend not trusting Alonso any further than you can throw him on this point. He could easily end up at lotus next year, and come out saying I meant a works Merc.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Godius

Force India seems to be impressed with Sergio Perez's driving skills but on the other hand very disappointed with the diver development of Hulkenberg. They are charmed by JE Vergne's driver development over the past year and want to contract Vergne alongside Perez for 2015. Hulkenberg would move to WEC/Le Mans with Porsche.

Kiril Varbanov

Helmut Marco confirms Vettel is going to Ferrari plus other spicy stuff - http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 16502.html

I fail to see official announcement once again - the PR and media people in F1 behave unbelievably funny, trying to be super-secretive and create more hype than needed.

Gaz.
Gaz.

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Helmut Marco confirms Vettel is going to Ferrari plus other spicy stuff - http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 16502.html

I fail to see official announcement once again - the PR and media people in F1 behave unbelievably funny, trying to be super-secretive and create more hype than needed.
It's dragging on far too long now, it's starting to get boring. It's like when a good TV show over-extends a story line.
Forza Jules

WaikeCU

Perhaps they want to trick Alonso into making the wrong decision. Because there's no official announcements at all, Alonso might get the idea that there's still hope to join other teams than Mclaren, but in reality it might be Mclaren or nothing for next season. That's one way to checkmate a rival driver.

Raleigh
Raleigh

PlatinumZealot wrote:I have a juicy bit of meat that says that both Macca driver's contracts are still NOT SIGNED. Their perfromances were below the level that Ron Dennis wants and at least one of them will be out the door.
I suspect this is in part tact. If one of the current drivers was given a contract and the other was told to wait and see...

Out of the two I think Magnussen is more likely to be retained, he has been getting praise from Ron Dennis, things like being told "keep racing like this, we like it" even after getting back to back penalties for forcing other drivers wide. Meanwhile I get the impression Ron thinks Button should be beating Magnussen by more (instead of pace being close between them all the time) given his experience and paycheck.

So Ron's preferred lineup seems to be Alonso/Magnussen, if he can't have this he will keep Button/Magnussen.

smr
smr

Can't see Mclaren letting Button go tbh, they said exactly the same to Perez when he "got his elbows out"... autosport articles from the team saying keep doing this etc.

Then they got rid of him, interestingly enough Button beat Perez by twice as many Championship points, exactly what he's doing to Magnusson.

Last two races Button has owned Magnusson as well.

Vasconia

Godius wrote:Force India seems to be impressed with Sergio Perez's driving skills but on the other hand very disappointed with the diver development of Hulkenberg. They are charmed by JE Vergne's driver development over the past year and want to contract Vergne alongside Perez for 2015. Hulkenberg would move to WEC/Le Mans with Porsche.
I hope it doesnt happen, Nico is one of my favourite racers and a very gifted one, but I admit that his second half of the season has been below my (and everybodys) expectations.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

I am surprised Mercedes is really considering Alonso for 2016..??. He is older than both Hamilton and Nico moreover I really don't think he is faster than either of them. In 2007, Hamilton was the clear winner in pole positions and they got the same points. So it doesn't make sense to replace Hamilton with a 35 year old Alonso. This year, Nico showed, he is not *that* much slower than Hamilton in one lap. He is not par with Hamilton in racing but still I wouldn't swap him with a 35 years old Alonso either.

WaikeCU

foxmulder_ms wrote:I am surprised Mercedes is really considering Alonso for 2016..??. He is older than both Hamilton and Nico moreover I really don't think he is faster than either of them. In 2007, Hamilton was the clear winner in pole positions and they got the same points. So it doesn't make sense to replace Hamilton with a 35 year old Alonso. This year, Nico showed, he is not *that* much slower than Hamilton in one lap. He is not par with Hamilton in racing but still I wouldn't swap him with a 35 years old Alonso either.
Yeah he might be faster in Quali, but it's the race that matters. Alonso's racecraft is from a different level, knowing the dogs of Ferrari's he has been driven.

sectionate
sectionate

Raleigh wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:I have a juicy bit of meat that says that both Macca driver's contracts are still NOT SIGNED. Their perfromances were below the level that Ron Dennis wants and at least one of them will be out the door.
I suspect this is in part tact. If one of the current drivers was given a contract and the other was told to wait and see...

Out of the two I think Magnussen is more likely to be retained, he has been getting praise from Ron Dennis, things like being told "keep racing like this, we like it" even after getting back to back penalties for forcing other drivers wide. Meanwhile I get the impression Ron thinks Button should be beating Magnussen by more (instead of pace being close between them all the time) given his experience and paycheck.

So Ron's preferred lineup seems to be Alonso/Magnussen, if he can't have this he will keep Button/Magnussen.
My current thinking is that the two of them will stay at McLaren for next season. They are probably being pressured to race harder by way of not having contracts for next year. Alonso to have a year out and come back in 2016 for a swansong with McLaren-Honda and Magnussen. Button to Retire

turbof1

Alonso is being considered in the sense as a backup plan. If Hamilton and Rosberg plan to stay beyond 2015, they'll stay beyond 2015. There's simply no insentive to bring in Alonso, or for that matter anybody else.
#AeroFrodo

Sasha
Sasha

Alonso signed a contract with Honda(testing/Sports Cars or racing for Mclaren)and the only hold up now is the contract with Mclaren(Dennis).Alonso wants a easy out of the contract and Dennis wants to pay him less.I think they really don't like each other!

So that is why there isn't an announcement yet.

Mesteño

Alonso's twitter:

Another day full of good things, very good... #theBestIsYetToCome

Ok, I'm not playful, I'll wait for something official.