Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
manchild
manchild

Re: Ferrari F10

FLC
FLC

autosport wrote:"The F-system was not active," he said. "We tested some parts of the engine cover and the rear wing to validate them and to check they worked fine, but the aerodynamicists will now gather data. But the system was not complete.

"I had nothing inside the cockpit because the system is not complete. We tested the engine cover to compare it with the standard one. I didn't notice anything. I guess there will some new numbers from an aero point of view."

bjpower
bjpower

just watching the quali.
In car footage of alonso every so often he reaches down with his left hand and shifts something

any ideas?

Scotracer
Scotracer

bjpower wrote:just watching the quali.
In car footage of alonso every so often he reaches down with his left hand and shifts something

any ideas?
Brake Bias adjustment.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

ing
ing

I would suggest that they tested a version without driver intervention to assess the effects of stalling the wing at high speeds. Obviously, the downforce will have been compromised throughout the rest of the lap, hence the comment that the system was incomplete. They could tape up the inlet to do and A - B comparison.

Interesting in the last picture that, apart from the slot, they also added an upside-down Gurney flap further downstream - possibly to simulate a later flow separation point.

I had noted in another forum that the McLaren slot, when active, would behave like an upside-down Gurney flap. This seems to confirm that!

Afterburner

I'm not surprised by the new engine cover opening, i'm more surprised why they removed gills near exausts, wouldn't it give them some downforce plus the cooling effect?

Holm86

any ideas?
Could be the adjustable front wing?

DM0407
DM0407

I'm not surprised by the new engine cover opening, i'm more surprised why they removed gills near exausts, wouldn't it give them some downforce plus the cooling effect?

Downforce=Drag.

I'm guessing with the long straight, the cooling is sufficient and the drag offsets the benefits. Remember its pretty cold in Shanghai ATM.

DM0407
DM0407

just watching the quali.

any ideas?
Correct me if I am wrong, but the brake bias is adjusted manually with a lever. I believe this is what he is adjusting (mostly after the long straights with hard braking). I think the wing adjustment is a switch with presets on the steering wheel.
Last edited by DM0407 on 17 Apr 2010, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.

Afterburner

Holm86 wrote:

any ideas?
Could be the adjustable front wing?
It's adjustable brake differential almost for sure, they adjust front wing on the steering wheel.

FLC
FLC

Afterburner wrote:I'm not surprised by the new engine cover opening, i'm more surprised why they removed gills near exausts, wouldn't it give them some downforce plus the cooling effect?
That opening is not new.

Afterburner

FLC wrote:
Afterburner wrote:I'm not surprised by the new engine cover opening, i'm more surprised why they removed gills near exausts, wouldn't it give them some downforce plus the cooling effect?
That opening is not new.
It's wider than Bahrain one:

FLC
FLC

Yes, they've modified the engine cover after Bahrain. But that was about a month ago, a little more, hence not new.

Afterburner

FLC wrote:Yes, they've modified the engine cover after Bahrain. But that was about a month ago, a little more, hence not new.
For me when talking about F1, 1mm more or less it's not the same because it's caused by development so for me it's a new engine cover, for you it's not new because they "just" lenghtened the hole but i respect that.

Krispy
Krispy

Pandamasque wrote:Let's not forget about yaw as another difference between straights and corners.

Also Scarbs has posted about this Ferrari F*** duct thing.
http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/04/1 ... rear-wing/
Right, so when the car takes a certian yaw angle it blocks the flow to one side of the shark fin ducts.

I wonder if this would actually work,it seems like you would have to have a very severe yaw angle to block off the duct completely.

Anyone have any other thoughts?
"In order to finish first, you must first finish"-Stirling Moss