Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Re: Lotus E21 Renault

This pic shows that the hole is for cooling since it has a cooling fan attached to it. Unless you want to go full conspiracy and say it's a decoy.

I really can't think of a reason why they would be linked. Very perplexing.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

I give about 0% chance it is for driver cooling. I thought the direction of the air is opposite, but now I agree with the red paths on the image. It certainly is for some kind of fluidic switch.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

wesley123
wesley123

MarkedOne8 wrote:I give about 0% chance it is for driver cooling. I thought the direction of the air is opposite, but now I agree with the red paths on the image. It certainly is for some kind of fluidic switch.
What makes you think that? Just because it sounds cool to have blown stuff?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

wesley123 wrote:What makes you think that? Just because it sounds cool to have blown stuff?
#-o I didn't mentioned any blowing! Fluidic switching is not equal to blowing (as far as how I differentiate them)

The other possible functions of that system simply don't make much sense to me.
Driver cooling? - Of course it is not for driver cooling. There are many better solutions for simple driver cooling.
Fluidic switch? - Quite possible. As I said, I agree with ebw. It would be quite easy to control it as a switch because the air from the front of the car is not that turbulent, it is clear.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

There's are other uses for ducts such as cooling. Now considering that lotus have run that hole on the splitter (not t-tray) in previous seasons along with cooling fans attached to it (as you can see in the image above) then I'm not sure we're seeing the whole story.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

wesley123
wesley123

Everyone here seems to get a hard on when they have the slightest idea of air flowing through a tube somewhere, and more than often it is not true.

But to add to your points;
What is even more likely is that there is a small strut in the cover to prevent the floor from flexing, just like every other team does. Just because it is hollow doesnt mean air flows through it.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Maxion wrote:
beelsebob wrote:I don't believe the red hole does what you think it does, there's way too many bends there, and way more ways of cooling the driver. On the other hand, I have no idea what it is doing.
If you check the floor photo and the original one it's quite clear that the splitter support is hollow and that it's connected to the hole highlighted in that photo.
No, it's quite clear that the splitter support is hollow, not that it's connected to the hole in the picture.

beelsebob
beelsebob

wesley123 wrote:Everyone here seems to get a hard on when they have the slightest idea of air flowing through a tube somewhere, and more than often it is not true.

What is even more likely is that there is a small strut in the cover to prevent the floor from flexing, just like every other team does. Just because it is hollow doesnt mean air flows through it.
Agreed, however, the fact that they bothered to cut a hole in the splitter there does suggest that the hollowness is for more than just weight saving, also, the fact that the connected a fan to it suggests the same.

BoBee
BoBee

beelsebob wrote:
wesley123 wrote:Everyone here seems to get a hard on when they have the slightest idea of air flowing through a tube somewhere, and more than often it is not true.

Agreed, however, the fact that they bothered to cut a hole in the splitter there does suggest that the hollowness is for more than just weight saving, also, the fact that the connected a fan to it suggests the same.

Very smart, they even managed to get the fridge on board... definitely Kimis influence :lol:

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

I am not that "everyone". If you consider me as a complete noob, then it's ok. It your opinion and keep that just for your self. I am respecting other's thought. Here we had some totally new guys and they have admitted that they are new here, but I've spent couple of minutes to read their posts and they were quite interesting. Example is the guy who mentioned couple of days ago the possibility of some kind of adjustable/reactive/whatever ride height system.
wesley123 wrote:But to add to your points;
It-is-not-to-prevent-flexing. Go on and check out the images of other 2012/2013 cars. None of them had the structure like this. We've discussed that pages before. Sauber, Red Bull, Ferrari... they all have thin metal supports to prevent their floors from flexing. This is not metal structure, this is not thin. This looks like "simple" carbon fiber. Of course it can prevent the flexing a little bit, but it can't be it's primary function! Floor flexing prevention is maybe the second or even third function of this splitter structure.

zonk
zonk

You can see Lotus staff performing a load test ?
i was wondering 'cause the round and bend shape could allow flexing of tea tray :?

stefan_
stefan_

Malaysia 2013 - Thursday (21.03.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

zonk
zonk

keep 'em coming :wink:

wesley123
wesley123

If you consider me as a complete noob, then it's ok.
I do not
It your opinion and keep that just for your self. I am respecting other's thought.
And so do I. My point is that if a part has a possibility of getting airflow through it then it is immediately assumed to have such an effect. This isnt the first one, and neither will it be the last.
wesley123 wrote:But to add to your points;
It-is-not-to-prevent-flexing.[/quote]
Such a piece has always been to prevent flexing, or in a more controversial way, to allow flexing(I believe that was 2007).
Go on and check out the images of other 2012/2013 cars. None of them had the structure like this. We've discussed that pages before.
Just because the part is different doesnt mean it's function is. There are multiple paths to achieve the same goal.
Sauber, Red Bull, Ferrari... they all have thin metal supports to prevent their floors from flexing.
Correct
This is not metal structure, this is not thin. This looks like "simple" carbon fiber. Of course it can prevent the flexing a little bit, but it can't be it's primary function!
Why cant it be? And here we come to the annoyance that in my view is a bit on this forum. Since the F-Duct in 2010 forum members have applied this form of "blowing" to almost everything immaginable, and just because it sounds good. More then once was it applied to something without much addition to why.

Yeah what we have now is a splitter strut that is a bit fatter than normal. This absolutely doesnt prove anything. Also the hole that was described has been there before, so it isnt anything new. Apart from that I am seeing a metal strut through th carbon and some wiring.

it is simply to prevent splitter flexing. Remember; last season Lotus had to make a quick pre season fix to their tub to fix the suspension points. They had a really lightweight chassis, it is safe to asume that this weight reduction has also reached other parts of the car. And with that reduction also comes more flex.

The splitter itself also is a bit fatter in the connection, in such a way that would in no way be needed for a tube to go down there. Imo it is a pretty nice spot to house a MES ECU, or a part for the KERS unit. it is as low as you can place it inside a car. Also the fatter strut gives a nice place for cabling.

I cannot see why this splitter would even blow anything.
1. Has any of you believers even the slightest idea of what it is doing?
2. If this part is so special and so great, sure LRGP would take an effort to hide this right? However LRGP takes no effort at all to hide it and even walks with the floor and the piece fully exposed.

korzeniow
korzeniow

It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013