Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Poleman

Re: Ferrari F10

Holm86 wrote:I believe autogyro is right. The new regulations which doesn't allow refuelling could have made Ferrari run their engines on a leaner mixture raising the heat of the engine.
Yes lets assume thats right...They could make the tanks bigger and not run engines leaner...There is an engine freeze...What if Mercedes-Cosworth-Renault start asking for exceptions?In that case Mercedes would ran an even smaller tank on their cars,make them more compact,run their engine leaner and then ask from FIA to allow them to fix their overheating problem. [-X

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Poleman
+1

ferrari screwed up so they get to make a change, this should have been foreseen when designing the tank, given Ferrari know better than anyone what the fuel consumption figures are like for the engine.
Why dont they just come and say they did a "virgin" and cocked up?

Brawn screwed up on the weight distrubtion on the Mercedes, do you think the FIA will allow a change on the Homologated tub? Not a chance......
More could have been done.
David Purley

mith

I totally agree with Poleman. They could've just made bigger fuel tanks.

timbo
timbo

To this date since 2006 EVERY engine manufacturer did some upgrades.
So, if Renault updates its engines, it's fine, if Ferrari -- no.
I see perfect logic here!

Poleman

Renault upgrade wont make their engine more reliable...You are missing the point here.Renaults engine could be unreliable after the maximum output upgrade.FIA gave the clearence to RENAULT because it was outpowered not because it was unreliable.Imagine McLaren MP4-20 running these days and Mercedes asking from FIA to let them unfreeze the rule and make the engine reliable.Just doesnt make sense.
Last edited by Poleman on 05 May 2010, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Timbo

You forget, Ferrari asked to change under the premise that its engines were unreliable.
I asked the question what has changed from October 2009 to Now?
David Purley

raymondu999

they blew two engines. And had a car that cut a corner or two too many on cooling.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

Poleman wrote:Renault upgrade wont make their engine more reliable...You are missing the point here.Renaults engine could be unreliable after the maximum output upgrade.FIA gave the clearence to RENAULT because it was outpowered not because it was unreliable.Imagine McLaren MP4-20 running these days and Mercedes asking from FIA to let them unfreeze the rule and make the engine reliable.Just doesnt make sense.
I thought the whole point was performance was frozen, and that if the engine was found to be unreliable reliability upgrades were permitted. Which Mercedes did. They made their engines reliable while "inadvertently" making them more powerful in the process. As I remember last year they gave Merc permission to downgrade their engines because they were more powerful, and not the Renaults to be tuned up. However, can we stop polluting the F10 thread with engine talk, and move this engine talk to a new thread though? No disrespect meant to any of those who have posted on the engine, but I feel that this should be more on the chassis and aero rather than the engine.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Poleman

raymondu999 wrote: I thought the whole point was performance was frozen, and that if the engine was found to be unreliable reliability upgrades were permitted. Which Mercedes did. They made their engines reliable while "inadvertently" making them more powerful in the process. As I remember last year they gave Merc permission to downgrade their engines because they were more powerful, and not the Renaults to be tuned up. However, can we stop polluting the F10 thread with engine talk, and move this engine talk to a new thread though? No disrespect meant to any of those who have posted on the engine, but I feel that this should be more on the chassis and aero rather than the engine.
I agree,but thats the magic of a conversation it carries you away,so lets move on! :!:

ringo

About ferrari's f duct why is felipe saying he can control it from the cockpit?
How do they do that without boring a hole in it?

I think i have an idea....
For Sure!!

dren

You can run ducting around the bodywork/tub into the cockpit and back out again. Not the best way to do it, but you can do it that way.
Honda!

ringo

Yes but the driver needs to be able to control it, so it must pass through the cockpit opening. Passing a pipe through the opening means the cross section is being altered and not standard. The standard template must be able to pass through the cockpit opening, the piping may block it.
Another thing is, the piping has to pass rigidity tests. Further making it difficult for the driver to exit if this rigid pipe is coiled over into the cockpit from the sides.

One solution i am thinking about involves these openings:

right through the middle, then through where?..
For Sure!!

timbo
timbo

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Timbo

You forget, Ferrari asked to change under the premise that its engines were unreliable.
I asked the question what has changed from October 2009 to Now?
Chassis.

timbo
timbo

ringo wrote:About ferrari's f duct why is felipe saying he can control it from the cockpit?
How do they do that without boring a hole in it?

I think i have an idea....
Maybe they would use that hole, or maybe they can create another opening.
I wonder what parts of cockpit are homologated. E.g. we've seen Renault with and without cockpit vents.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Timbo [-X sorry mate,

Thats just not the answer. The engine requirements should be known before designing Chassis. The engine problem is not as a result of the Chassis......
It could be because Ferrari angled it during installation, somthing that has been reported about, and this had an influence the pneumatic valves.

Hence Ferrari should be forced to use standard installation, as their engines last year proved plenty good enough in terms of reliabilty.
David Purley