Aero part surface definition

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
smak

Aero part surface definition

Are there some softwares or a method to find the exact surface which helps give an optimal performance?

I have defined a line and the cross section from which the nose needs to be lofted in my CAD between which I need to form a surface (say upper surface of the nosecone). How can I get a best possible surface? Do I need to create many and simulate them all or is there a shorter method?

Say in mercedes's rear wing, how can I define the middle curve part?

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Re: Aero part surface definition

Ah, so you'd like to define a performance curve and then back generate the necessary shape to get it?

That's the Holy Grail. In some fields it is possible, to some extent. For instance in structural engineering if you have a bunch of loads at defined points, there is a theorem that tells you what the minimum volume of a given material is needed to join them without exceeding a given stress (if anybody knows what it is called please let me know, i only read it once). In electrical engineering you can define the requirements of a black box to some extent and then work out what is inside it. But in aero, no I don't think so.

smak

Greg Locock wrote:Ah, so you'd like to define a performance curve and then back generate the necessary shape to get it?

That's the Holy Grail. In some fields it is possible, to some extent. For instance in structural engineering if you have a bunch of loads at defined points, there is a theorem that tells you what the minimum volume of a given material is needed to join them without exceeding a given stress (if anybody knows what it is called please let me know, i only read it once). In electrical engineering you can define the requirements of a black box to some extent and then work out what is inside it. But in aero, no I don't think so.

Yes exactly, you got me! Please someone help if you know more about it! A specific method or a specific software or some analysis in some book!

riff_raff
riff_raff

"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"