Bugatti Tourbillon

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Bugatti Tourbillon

Bugatti wrote:Designed for eternity and shaped for speed, the BUGATTI TOURBILLON is a truly timeless masterpiece in every single detail.

Each surface is carefully refined to balance aero- and thermo-dynamic performance, inspired by BUGATTI’s design legacy.
Key Figures
  • 1,775hp total power
  • 986hp, 9,000rpm 8.3-litre naturally-aspirated V16 ~150kg lighter than the old w16
  • Slightly below Chiron’s 1,995kg kerbweight
  • 200kg 25kWh battery
  • 789hp from 3 electric motors
  • 250 to be made, all sold (sorry everyone maybe next time)
Press Photos
Bugatti Premiere

English Media

Interactive website

variante

Re: Bugatti Tourbillon

After seeing the photos, I feared Bugatti received the Rimac ugly treatment. But the videos really bring the design alive, masking that big nose and elegantly blending some of those HotWheels details.

The analogue instruments are beautiful. Like Pagani, but better.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

The battery is integrated with the chassis? So like, if it needs to be replaced....

Nah, dont know why I'm thinking about that given how rich you'd have to be to own one of these in the first place.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Another Veyron derivative. Bugatti following Porsche's 911 playbook, basically. Works for Porsche so why not?

Impressed that they added 200kg of battery and ended up lighter than the Chiron (albeit only slightly).
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

cheeRS
cheeRS

Seanspeed wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 17:52
The battery is integrated with the chassis? So like, if it needs to be replaced....

Nah, dont know why I'm thinking about that given how rich you'd have to be to own one of these in the first place.
That is absolutely the least of the owners' concerns, or close to it. Bugatti's customers have on average 50-100 other cars. They definitely have the funds for maintenance, chassis teardown or otherwise. :lol:

I read somewhere that the running costs on the ol' Veyron was somewhere around $100,000/yr, and that was with minimal usage.

BTW, if you remember the McLaren F1 fuel 'tank' issue, perhaps this integrated battery is the new version of that, hah.
Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.

Moctecus

Seanspeed wrote:
... it can be.
Being integrated with the chassis usually just means the battery pack is a stressed member that is shaped and constructed in a way that adds stiffness to the car rather than just being a big box adding weight that needs to be supported. Rimac used similar terminology with the Nevera, where they said the battery pack increased the car's stiffness by 37%.
Here's a cutaway of the Tourbillon showing its T-shape battery pack:

AMG.Tzan

Lovely that Bugatti went to a NA V16! Curious to hear it… :shock:

On the other it’s also quite a big change! I’d imagine the engine is twice the length but almost half the width of the old QuadTurbo W16! Is there any side by side images of the engines?
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

r85
r85

AMG.Tzan wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 12:11

On the other it’s also quite a big change! I’d imagine the engine is twice the length but almost half the width of the old QuadTurbo W16! Is there any side by side images of the engines?
Didn't see any comparison images but Mate Rimac said that the V16 is 40cm longer than the W16 yet the car is only 27mm longer than the Chiron.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Moctecus wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 11:12
Seanspeed wrote:
... it can be.
Being integrated with the chassis usually just means the battery pack is a stressed member that is shaped and constructed in a way that adds stiffness to the car rather than just being a big box adding weight that needs to be supported. Rimac used similar terminology with the Nevera, where they said the battery pack increased the car's stiffness by 37%.
Here's a cutaway of the Tourbillon showing its T-shape battery pack:
https://i.imgur.com/paRYG5k.jpeg
Gotcha. I was thinking more how difficult it'd be to do it, but it's probably not hard to get to underneath.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

r85 wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 12:59
AMG.Tzan wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 12:11

Didn't see any comparison images but Mate Rimac said that the V16 is 40cm longer than the W16 yet the car is only 27mm longer than the Chiron.
Perhaps the new layout allows the exhaust system to be alongside the lump more than the old one did.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

OO7
OO7

SiLo

I enjoy cars like this because of the attention to detail and engineering that goes into them. I really hope they influence design for vehicle interiors in future.
Felipe Baby!

Holm86

I love the engine and engineering that went into this one, but when it comes to looks I still prefer the Chiron, it's much prettier, this one looks a bit squashed at the front, perhaps I just need to see it in some other colours, and with some better looking wheels

OO7
OO7

Holm86 wrote:
25 Jun 2024, 18:03
I love the engine and engineering that went into this one, but when it comes to looks I still prefer the Chiron, it's much prettier, this one looks a bit squashed at the front, perhaps I just need to see it in some other colours, and with some better looking wheels
I prefer the Tourbillion myself. I'd like to know what type of crankshaft they are using, as I could quite work it out from the video. Whatever it is, it still sounds like the BRM V16. I don't understand why it (V16 configuration) doesn't have a higher pitch sound than a V12. I'd have expected something like twin flat plane V8 running in concert.

EDIT:
I've just reviewed the video again and can see how the crank layout is different compared to the BRM design, which makes sense given the BRM has a 135° 'V'. To have a BRM style crank, the engine configuration would need to be 135° or 45°. I prefer those crank layouts aesthetically, as you get two cylinders in the same bank that continuously match each others stroke position, like in a flat plane V8 or a V12.

Holm86

OO7 wrote:
26 Jun 2024, 00:12
Holm86 wrote:
25 Jun 2024, 18:03
I prefer the Tourbillion myself. I'd like to know what type of crankshaft they are using, as I could quite work it out from the video. Whatever it is, it still sounds like the BRM V16. I don't understand why it (V16 configuration) doesn't have a higher pitch sound than a V12. I'd have expected something like twin flat plane V8 running in concert.

EDIT:
I've just reviewed the video again and can see how the crank layout is different compared to the BRM design, which makes sense given the BRM has a 135° 'V'. To have a BRM style crank, the engine configuration would need to be 135° or 45°. I prefer those crank layouts aesthetically, as you get two cylinders in the same bank that continuously match each others stroke position, like in a flat plane V8 or a V12.
I believe the crankshaft is made up of two 90° cross plane V8's, merged in the middle with a 45° offset