Minimum speed exiting the pits...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RAF
RAF

Minimum speed exiting the pits...

Tell me I'm silly but I think there should be a minimum speed exiting the pit lane... or any other ideas to stop cars queuing on purpose to stop other cars getting a qualifying lap. I was thinking 60kph after exiting. Any slower than that would have to have an excuse such as the pit exit being closed. If you come out of the pits and end up not getting the gap on the circuit you are aiming for then tough sh1t. I even think that there should be a delta for the drivers on out and in laps to stop these potential crazy closing speeds. What do you guys think?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Minimum speed exiting the pits...

The drivers can use the track at any time during the session. If they choose to mess around being the last man out and over the line, then they live with the consequences of messing it up and not getting a time.

Deliberately blocking a car is already against the rules so we don't need another rule for that.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

JordanMugen

Maybe there could be a rule that you have to drive out of your garage and just go. On the other hand, the organisers feel it safer that gaps are made in pitlane than on track. So I dunno.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

It is obviously safer to have the drivers make a gap in the pits than out on track where cars coming from behind could have 100-150km/h (or more) speed difference. Whether they should just be told to stay in their garage and then just go out when they enter the fast lane of the pits is a good question. Of course, it hampers the teams at the entry end of the pit lane as they can be effectively blocked by someone closer to the exit pulling out in to the pit lane in front of them.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

basti313
basti313

JordanMugen wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 09:02
Maybe there could be a rule that you have to drive out of your garage and just go. On the other hand, the organisers feel it safer that gaps are made in pitlane than on track. So I dunno.
Well, and judging that they want "a gap" it is the only option. If they have to leave at speed (60 is already high), then if the car in front of you goes min speed and min allowed lap time you simply can not leave a gap. This needs to be accompanied with a "allowed" addition of 2sec gap if you are too close.

So I think the issue lies in the gap itself. Looking at yesterday the gaps in the last attempt were simply huge. I do not know the exact order and timing...but if I have seen it correctly Lando did half of his lap before the flag dropped on my live timing. Means that theoretically 10 cars could easily have their 3sec gap, which should be fine even on a downforce track, but only 4? made it?
I think they are taking it just excessively on "a gap" that they need.
Don`t russel the hamster!

TimW
TimW

They should just abolish all the rules trying to arrange this, and let the drivers sort it out. The more rules there are, the more you can play them.

E.g. If you go out just to prevent others setting a lap, without rules preventing it, the next time out you would get the favour returned and be impeded on your fast lap.