F1 Aircraft?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
captainmorgan
captainmorgan

F1 Aircraft?

I was just thinking about how aerodynamics plays a primary role in F1 car design these days. If the teams spend so much time in a wind tunnel making a car, what if they built and raced prototype aircraft as side projects, like a red bull air race but with new technology? Would you rather see actual planes or something closer to the ground, like fast hovercraft or ground effect planes?

manchild
manchild

m3_lover

SR-71 BlackBird?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

sebbe
sebbe

You have a good eye, that's the Blackbird.
Beautiful monster...
"I've already altered the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" -Darth Vader to Lando Calrissian. The Empire Strikes Back.
"Progress is not always made by reasonable men." (McLaren Racing).
"We have optimised the lateral optical interface of the building." (Translation: "My factory has a lot of windows.") Ron Dennis.-

PNSD
PNSD

sebbe wrote:You have a good eye, that's the Blackbird.
Beautiful monster...
Tbf any kid above the age of 8 should be able to name that aircraft, that legendary it is.

Tom

PNSD said:
Tbf any kid above the age of 8 should be able to name that aircraft, that legendary it is.
not entirely fair, but it is an iconic plane, there are many better but none as good, if you know what I mean.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

bhall
bhall

f1.redbaron

^ Did you know that Yeager got one of those as a retirement present from the USAF?

overdrayv

joseff

I don't suppose the Honda comes with long-haul facilities? (ie. lavatory)

overdrayv

joseff

I stand corrected :D

Ciro Pabón

This Honda doesn't have a lavatory, but if I were flying it, I would need one... It seems pretty "close to the ground":

The aerodynamic of "modern" airplanes is in the hypersonic region of flight. I doubt very much that Ruttan can learn something from F1, but who knows? (I do less than most of the people here). Anyway, I've already posted this image, I expect to see my first rocket race before I die...

Spaceship One

At least the machines for composite construction seem, to my untrained eye, ages ahead of F1 composite cooking and molding by hand (autoclave fabrication of composites up to 400º F operating temperature!):

Five axis gantry mill - 50x20x8 feet capacity

They're hiring (only US citizens... ;)).

Finally, about the plane by bhallg2k, we had a thread on it, courtesy of Reca, in case you did not read it. We confused it with the jet at Fiorano track, but Reca (and Manchild) discussed its history verse and chapter:

Ciro