Superchargers or turbochargers?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
HKS

Superchargers or turbochargers?

What want you opt for?????????????

modbaraban
modbaraban

Welcome to THE forum!

How about resizing your avatar?! :)

PS: the topic isn't quite clear to my mind. Supachargez or turbos for what? road cars? F1s? Clarification is welcome :wink:

Carlos
Carlos

Here is a link that gives a survey of supercharging and turbocharging - including a comparison between the 2 systems. Perhaps this article will help prompt a specific question. Your current query is - "fuzzy" - similar to "apples or oranges". I would also recommend search engines as a reference tool - glad to be of help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superchargers

West
West

I would go turbos for road racing; supercharger for drag. With a turbo you don't get the drag associated w/ a belt-controlled supercharger, which hurts at higher RPMs.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Lurch

Centrifugal supercharging coupled to something like a Antinov unit or the Supergen...

modbaraban
modbaraban

Lurch wrote:Centrifugal supercharging coupled to something like a Antinov unit or the Supergen...
"Did you mean: Antonov unit?" :)

Tp
Tp

@'Schumi we miss you' - Supercharged

@Carlos - Apples :wink:

RJC_pt
RJC_pt

Lurch

modbaraban wrote:
Lurch wrote:Centrifugal supercharging coupled to something like a Antinov unit or the Supergen...
"Did you mean: Antonov unit?" :)
i did...thankyou for correcting the typo

Lurch

VW's TFSI engine is a better example of compound charging...made it very efficient...

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

The biggest difference between a turbo and supercharged setup is that the turbo takes it's power from the exhaust gases, while the supercharger gets it's boost by some mechanical drive from the engine. Although each system is quite mature these days, a turbo will always have some form of lag. Generally, a turbo is better for higher RPM uses, while a supercharger has great advantages in lower RPM situations where low end grunt is more desirable.

Lurch

which is where the centrifugal supercharger comes into it's own...

basically has turbocharger efficiency with supercharger drivetrain...

problem is with the lag side of things again like any 'turbo' style setup...thats where the antonov or the supergen comes into there own...they use electric motors to basically spin up the centri charger in 0.3 secs giving pretty much instant boost...

HKS

Guys i know what's a supercharger and a turbochager , i would like to know which one would you'll prefer????????????

Carlos
Carlos

@shumiwemissyou. So let me get this straight. You can't waste the time reading our opinions. Any advice or input we offer is completely dismissed, of no value or interest; not worthy of your respect or consideration. TROLLING shumiwemissyou? :roll:

If your not a TROLL - Why didn't you just put up a POLL? - Duh :idea:

Tp
Tp

I like the idea of the BMW 535d and a 3 series model which I can't remember (335i and 335d?), that uses two turbos, a large and a small turbo, so at low RPM you get the responsiveness of the small turbo and at higher RPM the boost of the large one.