Aerodynamic design AND optimization of an f1 rear spoiler

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Zweeper
Zweeper

Aerodynamic design AND optimization of an f1 rear spoiler

hey everybody!

i'm studying aeronautical and mechanical engineering and i have to work on the thread topic. I have to create an formula 1 rear spoiler (a very simple one) with pro engineer, analyze it with CFD (gambit/fluent) and then i have to think about an optimization from this spoiler.

The problem is the optimization of this rear spoiler.
I thought about vortex generators ON the wing surface, but im not really sure if this is useful for the spoiler?

can someone here give me information about the vortex generators ON the wing? or has anyone here other ideas for a optimization of the wing?

kind regards,
zweeper

PlatinumZealot

Re: Aerodynamic design AND optimization of an f1 rear spoiler

I am not aeronautical, so I might be wrong on this, but I think that you put the vortex generators in places where the air separates from the surface. The Vortexes fill up that space where the air separates from the surface. So after you do your CFD, if the air separates put in your vortex generators.

When you said spolier, you meant a literal spoiler? or a wing?
The spoilers are devices that primarily use momentum change instead of pressure difference like a wing. But you can use both a spoiler AND a wing..

This is not F1, but it is a wing and a spoiler on one of my favourtie cars..(BMW E30 m3)

from turner motorsport

:-k

You can put on gurney flaps, endplates or multiple elements too.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Well.. first thing you gotta do is determine what you're optimizing for. Absolute maximum possible lift coefficient? Broadest operating range.. with regard to pitch? Yaw? Highest L/D ratio for a minimum amount of downforce?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

First, I would point out to your prof that this exercise is a waste given that the rear wing is pretty much the last thing you lay out, given that you have the entire car in front of it! And Jersey Tom is right .. figure out what condition you're designing for.

Beyond that I say to study up on multi elements and slots, as well as slotted end plates. I'm no wing expert but looking into these things will get you further down the road. An efficient rear wing shouldn't need anything like VGs. Slots between the multi elements do that kind of thing much better.

ackzsel

IIRC there was a very interesting thread which contained a study about VGs on a Mitsubishi Lancer. I couldn't dig it up after a quick search but it must be out there somewhere.

Edit: here it is : )

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6250&hilit=mitsubishi+lancer

Only thing is that the VGs are located on the roof and not on the wing it self, but that's because the airflow separates there.
Last edited by ackzsel on 09 Nov 2009, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

Zweeper
Zweeper

okay, thank you all for the help until now.

So just to get clear about the things:

whats the name of the whole thing with the red circle around?
and the last wing with the red side is called a spoiler?
im a little bit confused now with the technical terms.

Okay, i think the task is to generate the best possible downforce (the task of a rear wing). But im really sticky with this task because after you told me without the car in front of the wings this is sensless im not sure if i can find a good solution for this problem... hm...

wesley123
wesley123

the whole thing is called a rear wing, the red thing on it seems just paint, but if it is a small lip on it(90 degrees to the surface) you can call it a gurney.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Zweeper
Zweeper

okay, then lets call the topic:

"design AND optimization of an formula one rear wing related to a maximum downforce with a minimum of drag"

i think this sounds more logical, doesnt it?

ackzsel

Zweeper wrote:okay, then lets call the topic:

"design AND optimization of an formula one rear wing related to a maximum downforce with a minimum of drag"

i think this sounds more logical, doesnt it?
Sounds like what all F1 teams are doing all the time : ) So yes, that sounds more logical.

Zweeper
Zweeper

and you think it makes sense to analyze the rear wing without a car infront?

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Zweeper wrote:and you think it makes sense to analyze the rear wing without a car infront?
Theoretically yes, but in reality no.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Slimak
Slimak

this is my first post on this forum, so i would like to say hello all aerodynamics enthusiasts -> HELLO

as said earlier the rear wing's efficiency is highly dependent on the geometry in front of it. 2 pictures below show how the wake behind the airbox spoils pressure distribution on the wing

but dont get discouraged, if you need a topic for a project you can still do a lot of research concerning the optimisation of the isolated wing
you can try to compare a wing with/without a gurney flap or shark gills, change airfoils, angle of attack etc. this work should be interesting and educative (but of course the results will not be comparable to a full model)

these are wings with and withour shark gills in the endplates
(design is simple and wrong, but i wanted to check the idea behind it)

and this it the gurney flap mentoned by wesley123

whether you decide to start this project or not i wish you good luck

p.s. pictures come from my recent master's thesis, and if you have some questions concerning geometry/meshing/fluent feel free to send me a message

regards

wesley123
wesley123

waht do those colours actually mean? is blue low pressur and the red high pressure or is it the other way around? i am confised in that way.

What also might be a good investigation is the effect of pillars on the rear wing, for example no, 1 pillar, swan necks or 2 regular pillars.

Also to help you a bit, using a gurney increases the downforce and also reduces the pressure behind it encouraging flow, this is done alot of times by diffusers, also such gurney helps keep the air attached longer, i dont know how it is here but in a flat profile(no Angle of Attack) it certainly helps keeping the flow attached.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Slimak
Slimak

in case of pressures: red=high, blue=low

streamlines are colored by id, so colors mean nothing :)

Ciro Pabón

Welcome, Slimak. I just wanted to say thanks for your offer to zweeper, who is also welcomed, of course. With or without the car, you have to learn one thing at a time; I'd guess.
Ciro