F1 Car 2020 Design

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
jordangp

F1 Car 2020 Design

Aricle from next month's F1 Racing by Pat Symonds.
Renders and article regarding 2020 car designs including standardised rear wings, nose attatched front wings, sidepod air restrictors and 250bhp KERS

Direct Image links to read article:
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt13 ... 0page1.png
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt13 ... 0page2.png

Any thoughts?

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Re: F1 Car 2020 Design

hope to hell this isn't true, although it is very likely :(

jordangp

No I certainly hope these cars will NOT be the F1 cars of the future, but 3D cameras would be a good idea for the average TV viewer, but ths just about where the good news ends.

But I've got more renders:

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

jordangp wrote:...but 3D cameras would be a good idea for the average TV viewer, but ths just about where the good news ends.
Only if they have an incredibly expensive 3D TV. Not worth it at all for only one 3D programme or varying and questionable quality once every 2 weeks.

jordangp

andrew wrote:
jordangp wrote:...but 3D cameras would be a good idea for the average TV viewer, but ths just about where the good news ends.
Only if they have an incredibly expensive 3D TV. Not worth it at all for only one 3D programme or varying and questionable quality once every 2 weeks.
Yeah but by the year 2020...

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Possibly. I'll hold off on my order from Sony for now...

Formula None
Formula None

Variable radiator inlets have been banned for no good reason for decades. Same with the low profile tires.

The talk of spec wings and such is annoying. I wish the FIA could understand that a car can be designed with low drag and high lift in mind. Aircraft have been created with this philosophy for what, 80 years? You dont have to step down to simple single profile spec wings to get your drag solution. Just throw on some damn streamlined leading and trailing bodywork at each wheel. Close the cockpit. Let em move the wings to a neutral position on the straights. Use venturis and skirts for the majority of downforce. We can have less form drag and maintain or reduce drag from negative lift. F1 with less downforce is a terrible idea, IMO.

And is that a nose dropping down from the front of the cockpit entry, Ringo? Looks like there's someone out there as foolish as I am...

ringo

I was waiting for you to call my name!! :lol: As soon as i saw the low nose!
Well the car is Pat Simmonds conception, and it looks pretty.. pretty ugly. :mrgreen:

If you want low drag, A low nose cannot be on the car. Very poor L/D at the front with that convex shape. The front wing is also inefficient mounted into the sides of the nose.
What was pat symonds background in renault again?

The radiator inlets wouldn't be necessary with gas turbine engines.

I might just build my 3d interpenetration of a GT F1 in solidworks. Everyone's building 3d cars now so what the heck.
For Sure!!

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Seeing how we barely have an idea of how the 2013 regulations will turn out to look like, a 2020 prediction is completely nonsensical IMO. It's pointless, but it does entertain people, which seems to be the aim of that magazine.

By that time we might even see covered wheels and cockpit, a turbine engine, and ground effects with minimal wings.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

MadMatt
MadMatt

Why are they talking about 3D while HD is not even there in what is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport and cars. Oh yes, there is not enough money. Sure ! :roll: