2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
RZS10

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

NathanOlder wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 22:57
Wouter wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 22:35
Good news that they have a steward like that man? Good news for whom?

Connelly often involved in Verstappen penalties

At the 2017 United States Grand Prix, Connelly was also one of the stewards when Verstappen received a time penalty for overtaking Kimi Raikkonen off-track on the final lap. The Dutchman was then removed from the podium ceremony, and the penalty was especially notable because other drivers who went four wheels off the track that weekend were not penalised.

- 2016 Japanese Grand Prix. "At the time, Connelly wanted to penalise Verstappen for an incident with Lewis Hamilton at the chicane, but the other three stewards didn't think it was necessary. Connelly then went to Mercedes to urge the team to complain. Team principal Toto Wolff, who was already on the plane, eventually had the complaint withdrawn before it was dealt with",
Remarkably, Connelly has been the main steward for the last three consecutive races.

Connelly has been a steward in 6 races so far:
Belgium, Zandvoort, Italy, Russia, Qatar, SA.

In these 6 races, Max Verstappen has been awarded 6 penalties:
Italy: 3 grid penalty for next race after collision with Hamilton
Qatar: 5 grid penalty for ignoring double yellow flag
SA: 5 sec penalty for restarting 1 to Lewis Hamilton and 10 sec penalty for impeding Hamilton

Lewis Hamilton has only been awarded penalties in SA for impeding in practice €25,000 and no further action for double yellow.

Outside these 6 races, no incidents were reported about Max Verstappen and no penalties were handed out.
Its good news as those incidents were all dealt with correctly enough.
To add to this: 2016 Japanese GP was for moving under braking, a rule which they specifically introduced because of the driver in question, which wasn't enforced back then even though it was very blatantly the case.

So yea, it is absolutely good to see stewards who might enforce the rules properly if they have to, and might try to uphold certain driving standards.
Last edited by RZS10 on 08 Dec 2021, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

Jolle
Jolle

Wouter wrote:

At the 2017 United States Grand Prix, Connelly was also one of the stewards when Verstappen received a time penalty for overtaking Kimi Raikkonen off-track on the final lap. The Dutchman was then removed from the podium ceremony, and the penalty was especially notable because other drivers who went four wheels off the track that weekend were not penalised.

- 2016 Japanese Grand Prix. "At the time, Connelly wanted to penalise Verstappen for an incident with Lewis Hamilton at the chicane, but the other three stewards didn't think it was necessary. Connelly then went to Mercedes to urge the team to complain. Team principal Toto Wolff, who was already on the plane, eventually had the complaint withdrawn before it was dealt with",
Remarkably, Connelly has been the main steward for the last three consecutive races.

Connelly has been a steward in 6 races so far:
Belgium, Zandvoort, Italy, Russia, Qatar, SA.

In these 6 races, Max Verstappen has been awarded 6 penalties:
Italy: 3 grid penalty for next race after collision with Hamilton
Qatar: 5 grid penalty for ignoring double yellow flag
SA: 5 sec penalty for restarting 1 to Lewis Hamilton and 10 sec penalty for impeding Hamilton

Lewis Hamilton has only been awarded penalties in SA for impeding in practice €25,000 and no further action for double yellow.

Outside these 6 races, no incidents were reported about Max Verstappen and no penalties were handed out.
I think it’s healthy to not have a driver steward who was up to at least last year on the RedBull payroll.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Wouter wrote:

Well that one was a straight up penalty - overtaking off the track is not allowed. The comment about other drivers being off track is ambiguous. Were they just off track or were they overtaking off track a car that was on track?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SiLo

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 23:34
Wouter wrote:

Well that one was a straight up penalty - overtaking off the track is not allowed. The comment about other drivers being off track is ambiguous. Were they just off track or were they overtaking off track a car that was on track?
sshhh the narrative!
Felipe Baby!

subcritical71

MV8 wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 22:56
Did you see this?
I don't know what is FIA doing tbh
I like it… the track is defined by the white line and drivers should not wonder outside of the track except on rare occasions.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

subcritical71 wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 23:54
MV8 wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 22:56
Did you see this?
I don't know what is FIA doing tbh
I like it… the track is defined by the white line and drivers should not wonder outside of the track except on rare occasions.
Quite so. The kerbs there if you want to drive on it but don't go and throw your toys out of the pram if doing so causes a tyre failure. The kerbs should allow for an occasional mistake, but punish constant use.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

djones
djones

If Lewis takes a new engine is it just the 5 places again?

I wonder if it would be good to do that as it keeps him away from Max at the start and in theory he would easily make his way through the cars in front with all the straights and acceleration zones.

Jolle
Jolle

djones wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 23:59

I wonder if it would be good to do that as it keeps him away from Max at the start and in theory he would easily make his way through the cars in front with all the straights and acceleration zones.
On pole he would have one redbull car next to him or right behind him. In fifth/sixth hè could have up to three around him.
Pole is the best place to be.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

djones wrote:

Having Alpha Tauri around you is equally bad. Better start at the front.

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 23:57
Quite so. The kerbs there if you want to drive on it but don't go and throw your toys out of the pram if doing so causes a tyre failure. The kerbs should allow for an occasional mistake, but punish constant use.
looks to me more like a way to damage your front wing!
201 105 104 9 9 7

djones
djones

Ok fair points, I didn’t consider the fact there are essentially 4 Redbulls in the race.

Pole and cross your fingers then.

Big Tea

dans79 wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 00:12
Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 23:57
looks to me more like a way to damage your front wing!
Especially if someone else runs you wide :evil:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Pirelli have chosen the softest tyres as well with these kerbs. Could make the title fight very interesting with different strategies

cooken
cooken

Incoming 28psi minimum cold pressure.

sushantasapkota1
sushantasapkota1

Jolle wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 00:05
djones wrote:

On pole he would have one redbull car next to him or right behind him. In fifth/sixth hè could have up to three around him.
Pole is the best place to be.
If i was Lewis.. I rather be away from max at start lol.