2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

kenshi_blind wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 13:44
I am a bit baffled to me honest by the way people both side a potential accident that might lead to a DNF for both Max and Lewis. I mean from the beginning of the season Lewis has been the one avoiding potential crashes and the only time when he did not we all know what happened . a DNF does not help me so to say that "Both" title contenders should behave is a bit rich in my opinion
Yes, but Masi isn't going to come out and say "Max, if you crash in to Lewis and cause him to DNF, we can dock points and you won't win the title", is he?

But we must also consider that Lewis could tap Max - whether deliberately or accidentally - and the same thing applies to him.

I'm just glad that the issue of possible points deductions are out in the open before the event.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AMG.Tzan

Do you think these changes to the track will help Mercedes more than Red Bull??

The track has become quiet a bit faster with a lot more flowing corners! Other than corners 6,7 and 12 all the other corners are fast which favors Mercedes I think. Even 13 and 14 have become faster than they used to be after the changes!

Anyway, if everything goes ok without crashes, safety cars or red flags I think Lewis and Max will be way faster than the rest of the field! Both of them will be going absolutely flat out to the end, I expect an epic finale! Although I'm a Hamilton fan, both of them deserve this championship as both have been on top of their game all year long!!

Let's have a great race before the era of the fastest ever cars ends!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Phil

Marty_Y wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 13:29
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/masi- ... i/6866644/

Masi warns F1 title rivals of possible points deduction in Abu Dhabi
I’m baffled. So they are threatening deduction of points.

Deduction in points of this race? E.g. Verstappen finishes 1st but it responsible for an incident so he only gets say 20 points instead of 25? :lol:

What about causing a DNF with his title rival and both score zero points. Can he be deducted points that he got from different events?

I see this as nothing but hot air with little to no substance. There’s no precedent for this. How can a local steward enforce this? Who determines how many points are deducted from the race or the championship?

I see zero chance this will be settled at the table after the event and no one will have the guts to influence the WDC by altering the point standings after the fact. It took the stewards less balls to make these decisions with less impact in Saudi and they didnt - why should they now?

This is, if anything, a desperate pleed to the title rivals to play nice, but when push comes to shove, i’m certain no such decision will be made. Especially not when any potential incident could be argued both ways.

No steward will touch that pandoras box. It’s a guaranteed --- storm waiting to happen and no one in f1 would want that or on their hands.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

siskue2005

All this warning of points deduction and crash.... I think from the track layout and competitiveness, Max and Lewis won't even come close to make a meaningful crash! Just anticlimax

El Scorchio

Marty_Y wrote:

Jonathan Noble 46 mins ago

In his regular event notes that are sent to all competitors ahead of the race weekend, Masi pulled out specific clauses of the FIA’s International Sporting Code that he wanted to remind teams about.

In particular he cited ISC rules relating to the behaviour of all team members, sporting conduct and the potential scope for punishments.

In the notes he pulled out:

Article 9.15.1

“The competitor shall be responsible for all acts or omissions on the part of any person taking part in, or providing a service in connection with, a competition or a championship on their behalf, including in particular their employees, direct or indirect, their drivers, mechanics, consultants, service providers, or passengers, as well as any person to whom the competitor has allowed access to the Reserved Areas.”

Article 12.2.1 – Breach of Rules and in particular Article 12.2.1.l

“Any infringement of the principles of fairness in competition, behaviour in an unsportsmanlike manner or attempt to influence the result of a competition in a way that is contrary to sporting ethics.”

Article 12.4.5

“For all the FIA championships, cups, challenges, trophies or series, the stewards may also decide to impose the following penalties: Suspension for one or more competitions, withdrawal of points for the championship, cup, challenge, trophy, series.”

Article 12.4.5.a

“Points should not be deducted separately from drivers and competitors, save in exceptional circumstances.”

The inference of Masi’s note to teams is that the FIA will be keeping a close eye on anything that it considers unsportsmanlike, and that any punishment handed down would likely affect both the drivers’ and constructors’ standings.
Great to see. I thought they'd have to come out with something like this prior to the race. In short, 'You're not winning the title by causing your opponent to DNF.'

Jolle
Jolle

siskue2005 wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 14:13
All this warning of points deduction and crash.... I think from the track layout and competitiveness, Max and Lewis won't even come close to make a meaningful crash! Just anticlimax
I hope so… but my guess is that RedBull will do anything for track position on Sunday, including softer tires and using more fuel in the first part of the race and/or stressier engine mode. It might just be “at the edge of the seat” stuff for the first part and suddenly Mercedes runs away with it.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Phil wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 14:09
Marty_Y wrote:

Deduction in points of this race? E.g. Verstappen finishes 1st but it responsible for an incident so he only gets say 20 points instead of 25? :lol:

What about causing a DNF with his title rival and both score zero points. Can he be deducted points that he got from different events?

Quite simply, yes, the stewards can deduct points already earned by the driver. It isn't without precedent although it's a very rare thing in the history of F1.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

siskue2005 wrote:
I think you'll be correct there - I think all of the build up and tension will promise much but we'll end up with an anti-climax with either Lewis or Max romping off and taking the title without incident.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

So if a points deduction happens and it applies to both Driver and Team then making a token gesture to remove 1 point (assuming double DNF) will be totally seen as doing enough to grant The title 1 way or the other.

So the alternative to DSQ from the championship, but then if that drivers points are also taken from the constructor then doesn’t that constructor get a boost under next years development time allowance?

I made this point yesterday but I think a mod deleted it. Reposting it now as even the FIA have considered the possibility of a deliberate crash…

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 14:31
Phil wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 14:09
Marty_Y wrote:

Quite simply, yes, the stewards can deduct points already earned by the driver. It isn't without precedent although it's a very rare thing in the history of F1.
Exactly,

Just think of it this way. Lets say that Max does indeed do something silly and it takes the pair of them out (or Lewis does it for that matter, or any driver on the grid). Both cars are out the race, so the guy that commited a professional foul, can't be penalised with a time penalty, they can't be penalised with a grid penalty as its the last race. So all they can do is a point penalty. If you casue a crash and wipe out another car, being docked 1 point or 5 points is not a big punishement at all. If it happens to move that driver down 1 place in the WDC then thats just tough luck on them.

Being docked a few point is not a big issue. So I don't see why it would be a tough thing to do as its the last race of the season. The only hope a driver would have , lets say Max in this instance, is that if he caused Lewis to DNF, he needs to finish in the points so he gets DSQ from that race.
Last edited by NathanOlder on 09 Dec 2021, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

WaikeCU

KeiKo403 wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 14:37
So if a points deduction happens and it applies to both Driver and Team then making a token gesture to remove 1 point (assuming double DNF) will be totally seen as doing enough to grant The title 1 way or the other.

So the alternative to DSQ from the championship, but then if that drivers points are also taken from the constructor then doesn’t that constructor get a boost under next years development time allowance?

I made this point yesterday but I think a mod deleted it. Reposting it now as even the FIA have considered the possibility of a deliberate crash…
If the Dutch pundits are just openly talking about it and bringing it to the masses. Then definitely the word is out there it's a possibilitiy to win the championship. Even if they say, Max should be allowed to, because he has the lesser car... :roll:

It's cringeworthy to even think of it...

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 14:34
siskue2005 wrote:
I think you'll be correct there - I think all of the build up and tension will promise much but we'll end up with an anti-climax with either Lewis or Max romping off and taking the title without incident.
The first corner on lap 1 is the most likely time for any potential flashpoint, I think. The track and runoff is wide enough everywhere else that there shouldn't really be an issue after that and there's plenty of space for any driver to hopefully take avoiding action if necessary during close racing or attempted overtakes. I'd be very surprised if there's a red flag given the nature of the circuit.

siskue2005

El Scorchio wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 14:44
Just_a_fan wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:
The first corner on lap 1 is the most likely time for any potential flashpoint, I think. The track and runoff is wide enough everywhere else that there shouldn't really be an issue after that and there's plenty of space for any driver to hopefully take avoiding action if necessary during close racing or attempted overtakes. I'd be very surprised if there's a red flag given the nature of the circuit.
True, I think the only flash point would be first corner. Lewis should just pull away ans keep 5 to 7 sec gap so that he can cover any undercut

NathanOlder

El Scorchio wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 14:44
Just_a_fan wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:
Yeah, at least at this track the potiential divebomb areas have large tarmac run off's so drivers can jump out the way.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

djones
djones

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/a-req ... 1626272420

When people like AS are running articles like this, it's time for everybody to take a step back and realise just how serious recent actions are to the sport.