2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LM10
LM10

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

f1jcw wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 22:49
I’m seeing a lot news story/posts that seem to think Redbull have a pace advantage. I’m not sure I’ve seen anything that would point towards that being a definite
Well, usually it’s the long run pace which gives you the best indication of how fast each team is and RBR had the best long run pace today. Doesn’t mean it can’t change, though.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

I don't know if my thinking is correct, but the speed difference should be the lowest here than since Brazil, only because Merc would've been likely running a consistently high engine output as they were playing catchup in the WDC. I assume the Honda will be turned up more for the final race than Merc will have turned it up compared to Jeddah

Rodak
Rodak

mwillems wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 17:53
SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 17:47
mwillems wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 17:30

They will have 2 spare engines at the track anyway, so they could easily swap them over and if there is an issue, revert to the older used engine. I doubt they will need to spend any money at all to use a new engine.
To request Mercedes a new engine (beyond the ones they have in the pool) would imply them paying for the engine.
Unless the spares are bought and paid for in which case they can do with them as they please.
Engines are not sold, they're leased/rented. Customers are not allowed to work on or do anything to the engines, the manufacturer(s) provide an engine crew at races. All engines are returned to the manufacturer.

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

This race will be like COTA this year. Everyone thought that track will highly favorize Mercedes, but Red Bull is actually good here, we can already see that from their long stints, even Perez is there which is always a good sign for the bulls. Max will cruise to victory on Sunday and win the championship. Mark my words.

west52keep64

pantherxxx wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 01:19
This race will be like COTA this year. Everyone thought that track will highly favorize Mercedes, but Red Bull is actually good here, we can already see that from their long stints, even Perez is there which is always a good sign for the bulls. Max will cruise to victory on Sunday and win the championship. Mark my words.
I am leaning towards this more than the idea Mercedes are going to dominate. Red Bull seem to have a chunky advantage during the long runs, and the idea that Mercedes is not running at full power just doesn't make any sense. The whole point of doing a race sim is to try and recreate the conditions of the race, and that includes running the engine mode you intend to use in the race. Without doing this, the tyre data collected would not be representative and would be useless.

dans79

west52keep64 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 01:24
I am leaning towards this more than the idea Mercedes are going to dominate. Red Bull seem to have a chunky advantage during the long runs, and the idea that Mercedes is not running at full power just doesn't make any sense. The whole point of doing a race sim is to try and recreate the conditions of the race, and that includes running the engine mode you intend to use in the race. Without doing this, the tyre data collected would not be representative and would be useless.
In order to protect the race motor they had to use a higher mileage one today. Because of it's age it might not be able to sustain a high output mode for a sustained period of time. Thus to ensure they don't lose valuable practice time because the engine goes pop they simulate race runs by other means.

such as:
  • Different fuel loads
  • Different tire pressure
  • Different suspension settings
  • Different ES deployment modes in key min sectors of the track to simulate what it would be like with everything cranked up to maximum
The key is do you have a good way to take all your various bits of data from practice, and simulate what the car will actually do in qualifying and the race! This is why all the top teams have expensive simulators, and multiple backup/sim drivers. All the top teams will have people in the simulators burning the midnight oil!
201 105 104 9 9 7

yener

west52keep64 wrote:
pantherxxx wrote:
Well then let me explain you this. Compared the fastest laps in FP max had a tow from Fernando. Lewis didnt had a tow but he gained around 0.1-0.2 seconds. And the fun part is: Lewis is using an old engine. So the Jet Engine will be placed in FP3. Youll be surprised, Redbull will look like a Fiat 500 in the race.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

I been thinking of a situation in the race where Max and Lewis have a collision, fault on one driver but not intentional, but the one who caused the incident carries on and the other retires. Would the stewards have to just issue a time penalty, as it is no different to other penalised incidents at other races. Or would they deduct points for this kind of situation. Personally, I think it would be absurd because a crash here is no different to a crash anywhere else but I feel like the FIA would make a points deduction happen

west52keep64

dans79 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 01:36
west52keep64 wrote:
In order to protect the race motor they had to use a higher mileage one today. Because of it's age it might not be able to sustain a high output mode for a sustained period of time. Thus to ensure they don't lose valuable practice time because the engine goes pop they simulate race runs by other means.

such as:
  • Different fuel loads
  • Different tire pressure
  • Different suspension settings
  • Different ES deployment modes in key min sectors of the track to simulate what it would be like with everything cranked up to maximum
The key is do you have a good way to take all your various bits of data from practice, and simulate what the car will actually do in qualifying and the race! This is why all the top teams have expensive simulators, and multiple backup/sim drivers. All the top teams will have people in the simulators burning the midnight oil!
Exactly, they would be at least trying to recreate the pace they'd expect when the engine is running in "race mode". So any suggestions Mercedes are sand bagging during their race sims are total nonsense.

The race pace we saw today was real (as close to real as it can be), and at the moment it does appear that Red Bull have a thin advantage in race trim. Mercedes are certainly not "untouchable" as suggested in the headline of the latest article on this site :roll:

zibby43
zibby43

mkay wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 22:37
These mind games are ridiculous. At the end of the day, your pace is whatever it is. You're simply delaying the inevitable. There isn't much Merc can do if it turns out Red Bull has a 0.5s/lap (race pace) advantage as today's running suggests.
Only actual analysis I’ve seen suggests RBR may have been 0.04s ahead on race pace.

Which is nothing if you qualify behind. And this same analysis suggests Merc are nearly 2 tenths ahead over a single lap.

Are people just literally subtracting Merc’s Medium times from RBR’s Soft times to get that crazy huge number?

It’s as laughable as Merc being ahead by 9 tenths on race pace in Saudi Arabia.

cheeRS
cheeRS

pantherxxx wrote:
Marked.

"favorize" marked as well.
Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.

Racer X

cheeRS wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 03:09
pantherxxx wrote:
Marked.

"favorize" marked as well.
I think Mercedes is testing different things and we can't judge the true pace of the RedBull VS Mercedes. Proof of that is how fast Alpine is. I think if anything it shows that people are doing different set ups. We will have a better idea in FP3/Qualifying.

Which is thankfully in a couple hours. i won't be sleeping until all of it is over.

I think even FP3 is too soon to make judgements. Also Qualifying pace is not an indicator of how good any given team will be during the race.

So we really don't know anything.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

sushantasapkota1
sushantasapkota1

Imagine. Mercedes comes on top then blow everyone away. Bottas been good here as well

Zynerji

I'm nervous about a lockup and 3rd and 4th sliding to the apex and taking both leaders out..🥵

mkay
mkay

zibby43 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 03:06
mkay wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 22:37
These mind games are ridiculous. At the end of the day, your pace is whatever it is. You're simply delaying the inevitable. There isn't much Merc can do if it turns out Red Bull has a 0.5s/lap (race pace) advantage as today's running suggests.

Only actual analysis I’ve seen suggests RBR may have been 0.04s ahead on race pace.

Which is nothing if you qualify behind. And this same analysis suggests Merc are nearly 2 tenths ahead over a single lap.

Are people just literally subtracting Merc’s Medium times from RBR’s Soft times to get that crazy huge number?

It’s as laughable as Merc being ahead by 9 tenths on race pace in Saudi Arabia.
Verstappen was pulling 28.1 on mediums, and was over 0.5s/lap faster on softs which is a worse compound than the mediums after a certain number of laps.

Not sure how you’re getting to 0.04s difference because the numbers I’ve seen suggests a gap 10x larger at least.