2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
xinho
xinho

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

pantherxxx wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 01:19
This race will be like COTA this year. Everyone thought that track will highly favorize Mercedes, but Red Bull is actually good here, we can already see that from their long stints, even Perez is there which is always a good sign for the bulls. Max will cruise to victory on Sunday and win the championship. Mark my words.
COTA was different story. The circuit was too bumpy for Mercedes and they decided to play it safer with setup than RB. Lewis almost won anyway.

zibby43
zibby43

mkay wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 09:08
zibby43 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 03:06
mkay wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 22:37
These mind games are ridiculous. At the end of the day, your pace is whatever it is. You're simply delaying the inevitable. There isn't much Merc can do if it turns out Red Bull has a 0.5s/lap (race pace) advantage as today's running suggests.

Only actual analysis I’ve seen suggests RBR may have been 0.04s ahead on race pace.

Which is nothing if you qualify behind. And this same analysis suggests Merc are nearly 2 tenths ahead over a single lap.

Are people just literally subtracting Merc’s Medium times from RBR’s Soft times to get that crazy huge number?

It’s as laughable as Merc being ahead by 9 tenths on race pace in Saudi Arabia.
Verstappen was pulling 28.1 on mediums, and was over 0.5s/lap faster on softs which is a worse compound than the mediums after a certain number of laps.

Not sure how you’re getting to 0.04s difference because the numbers I’ve seen suggests a gap 10x larger at least.
I mixed that up. It was Merc on the Mediums. RBR on the faster Softs.

“In fact, our data suggests they [RBR] are 0.04s per lap quicker in the race sims.”

Graph here:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... jU45o.html

This data is fuel, tire, and engine-mode corrected. It is not AWS data. It’s FOM data.

mkay
mkay

zibby43 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 10:01
mkay wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 09:08
zibby43 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 03:06

Only actual analysis I’ve seen suggests RBR may have been 0.04s ahead on race pace.

Which is nothing if you qualify behind. And this same analysis suggests Merc are nearly 2 tenths ahead over a single lap.

Are people just literally subtracting Merc’s Medium times from RBR’s Soft times to get that crazy huge number?

It’s as laughable as Merc being ahead by 9 tenths on race pace in Saudi Arabia.
Verstappen was pulling 28.1 on mediums, and was over 0.5s/lap faster on softs which is a worse compound than the mediums after a certain number of laps.

Not sure how you’re getting to 0.04s difference because the numbers I’ve seen suggests a gap 10x larger at least.
I mixed that up. It was Merc on the Mediums. RBR on the faster Softs.

“In fact, our data suggests they [RBR] are 0.04s per lap quicker in the race sims.”

Graph here:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... jU45o.html

This data is fuel, tire, and engine-mode corrected. It is not AWS data. It’s FOM data.
No offense. I’d rather trust my 95-year old grandmother over AWS/FOM data.

I guess we’ll see in a couple of hours anyway.

Merc have a lot more work to do, given that race pace will be critical to maintain track position (assuming they retain their advantage over 1 lap).

sushantasapkota1
sushantasapkota1

i wouldnt trust either .. they just experimenting etc so come race day we will see true pace. Hamilton vindaloo engine isn't on the car as well lol

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 01:41
I been thinking of a situation in the race where Max and Lewis have a collision, fault on one driver but not intentional, but the one who caused the incident carries on and the other retires. Would the stewards have to just issue a time penalty, as it is no different to other penalised incidents at other races. Or would they deduct points for this kind of situation. Personally, I think it would be absurd because a crash here is no different to a crash anywhere else but I feel like the FIA would make a points deduction happen
A point deduction will only occur if Ham/Max hurtles up on the inside with no attempt to make the corner taking Max/Ham out.
If either driver takes the other out by accident then the other side will lodge every appeal possible.
The only thing I am unsure is if BOT/PER takes out the lead drivers deliberately? A points deduction for those drivers hardly matters. Removal of all championship points for the team? While it will not remedy the championship losing driver in question will the possibility of losing $100 million take it off the table?

mafeotul
mafeotul

Curious to see if all set-ups will be thrown in the air now that Pirelli has changed the tyre pressures. Anyone here that can explain the possible effect this might have?

darkpino
darkpino

In my opinion with the decisions the FOM/FIA made last couple of weeks it’s become painfully obvious who they want to have as a WDC, that was before the message came of points subtracting which in my opinion gives the FIA/FOM all the tools to crown their WDC of choice.

Shame a season like this has to come to an end like this but never seen championship forgery like this in a professional championship before. F1 lost all my respect, and that comes from someone who follows a lot more motorsports than F1 alone.

Have fun this weekend everyone!

Starkblood80
Starkblood80

darkpino wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 11:46
In my opinion with the decisions the FOM/FIA made last couple of weeks it’s become painfully obvious who they want to have as a WDC, that was before the message came of points subtracting which in my opinion gives the FIA/FOM all the tools to crown their WDC of choice.

Shame a season like this has to come to an end like this but never seen championship forgery like this in a professional championship before. F1 lost all my respect, and that comes from someone who follows a lot more motorsports than F1 alone.

What?

f1jcw
f1jcw

darkpino wrote:

Who do they want? You can make arguments for either

darkpino
darkpino

f1jcw wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 12:02
darkpino wrote:

That’s exactly what I meant. In my opinion there’s no reason to change the rules for the last race. Why deduct points in the last race suddenly and why not on Monza or Silverstone? (Where they could have had points deducted in the same manner then).

f1jcw
f1jcw

darkpino wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 12:23
f1jcw wrote:
darkpino wrote:

That’s exactly what I meant. In my opinion there’s no reason to change the rules for the last race. Why deduct points in the last race suddenly and why not on Monza or Silverstone? (Where they could have had points deducted in the same manner then).
To give a warning and try and calm it down. I would do the same in their position.

NathanOlder

Lets see how Max and RedBull respond to that 1.23.2 from Lewis
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Starkblood80
Starkblood80

darkpino wrote:
f1jcw wrote:
darkpino wrote:

They haven’t changed the rules, only highlighted that part as a way to calm some of the over exuberant driving we’ve seen in the past few races.

NathanOlder

RedBull changing rear wings again on Max's car. Same spec apparently, just issues with the DRS again.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

nimoraca
nimoraca

darkpino wrote:
f1jcw wrote:
darkpino wrote:

Because more typical penalties might not be applicable if they both DNF (time penalty, grid drop penalty, race ban...).