2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

ringo wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:46
This qualifying sheds light on Brasil, it was more than just the car.
But anyway, great qualy from max and redbull.
I think its all down to the tyre temperatures.
Max was flying even on his second lap. He also did his usual full attack. I could see that Lewis was somewhat cagey.
But yes the Bulls definitely have been fastest in qualifying since Brasil but they finally got the execution right!
Mercedes are playing the long game, but i feel pole is always the besy place to be.
Even with Max on softs, if lewis is ahead at most he has to defend again Max attacks, but being ahead is always better.
Hamilton will have to overtake Max for the lead. Or just do 1 pitstop less.
As to who will have the best pace in the race, i think it will be super close and the man who manages the rubber better will have the advantage. I dont see either car being dominant here.
I generally agree, I mean I wouldn't even shed a tear for a pole in Russia which is the worst pole of the season, but in this case, I think Mercedes were right. I have the sense that they were expecting RB to bolt the softs and they were very cautious about wanting pole.

This is apparent from FP2 where LH was running behind Perez to check the deg. To me, this tells me that they were actually expecting to be behind someone in the Race.
Last edited by Bill_Kar on 11 Dec 2021, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Shrieker wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:49
Artur Craft wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:21
Rocketship Mercedes now, suddenly, 0.4s behind Max, out of the blue ? :roll:

Hamilton blatantly let Max get pole because he fears this:
I doubt it was intentional.

If you look at the gap between Ham and Norris, it deffo looks sus. But then again, you look where Bottas is, and that's a place they can't afford to be, since it can easily leave Lewis 2v1 against the bulls, provided Perez can jump Norris on the opening lap(s).
I mean, LH could be deliberate, while Bottas' plan went all south. It's not unreasonable.

jz11
jz11

Shrieker wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:49
Artur Craft wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:21
Rocketship Mercedes now, suddenly, 0.4s behind Max, out of the blue ? :roll:

Hamilton blatantly let Max get pole because he fears this:
I doubt it was intentional.

If you look at the gap between Ham and Norris, it deffo looks sus. But then again, you look where Bottas is, and that's a place they can't afford to be, since it can easily leave Lewis 2v1 against the bulls, provided Perez can jump Norris on the opening lap(s).
I doubt Bottas is any metric for performance, his heart is obviously not in it, for a while now, had he been closer to top, there would be team pressure on him, he basically has taken himself out of this

if anything, gap to Perez might be a better indicator, he is motivated and was brought to the team for this thing exactly

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

The idea that Hamilton deliberately didn't take pole is a bit absurd. They will have to have a battle on track if Hamilton wants to win, especially considering Verstappen will probably undercut Hamilton. Seems like just an idea used to discredit RB and Maxs work today

El Scorchio

Bottas actually could come into play if he can stay in Verstappen’s pit window. Everyone ahead of him except Hamilton is on softs, aren’t they? (Maybe not Norris?)

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

El Scorchio wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:59
Bottas actually could come into play if he can stay in Verstappen’s pit window. Everyone ahead of him except Hamilton is on softs, aren’t they? (Maybe not Norris?)
That is provided he can overtake those ahead of him, which I doubt he will do it with ease. Norris is on Softs, as well.

El Scorchio

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:58
The idea that Hamilton deliberately didn't take pole is a bit absurd. They will have to have a battle on track if Hamilton wants to win, especially considering Verstappen will probably undercut Hamilton. Seems like just an idea used to discredit RB and Maxs work today
Agree. I mean it’s pretty tricky to engineer second place! But I don’t think they’ll be too upset with the tyre difference. If they are 1-2 and both on track at the end of the first couple of laps then the tyres really come into play. I just don’t see how Verstappen doesn’t have to take an extra stop or risk completely running out of rubber unless there are lots of safety car laps or a red flag. Mercedes have to have faith in their own strategy and not try to mirror Verstappen unless something crazy happens.

El Scorchio

Bill_Kar wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 17:01
El Scorchio wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:59
That is provided he can overtake those ahead of him, which I doubt he will do it with ease. Norris is on Softs, as well.
As I said- if he can stay in the pit window.

Starkblood80
Starkblood80

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
It probably wasn’t deliberate but max is still at a disadvantage starting on the softs. “If” SA is anything to go by then Lewis will just sit behind and wait for Max’s tyres to go off and probably go for a safe DRS pass.
I honestly don’t think the Redbull will be faster in the race

renault rs26
renault rs26

siskue2005 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:42
Redbull are the car to be on this season.
His lap in Jeddha and here speaks volumes of how much they have the car underneath him.
Only in Brazil and Qatar did Merc looked clearly faster.. apart from that redbull has been the fastest.

This is motor sport u need the motor (car) to win!
Imola, Portugal, Spain, Silverstone, Turkey, Monza Mercedes was slower than even Haas?

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

So who thinks LH44 can make the overcut work? Stretch the life of the mediums, pit late, than try to catch Max in the end with fresher hards?

nimoraca
nimoraca

Ham surely didnt take second on purpose. I think merc is surprised by the red bull top speed here. Max can maybe go for a one stop and than try to stay ahead of Ham in the second stint on older rubber.

torpor
torpor

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
If Lewis would start from pole and Max P2, Max would 100 % push Lewis out. I eep my fingers crossed for Mercedes and feel very very reassured that Max isn't behind Lewis with soft tires!!

Norris starts with softs as well.

isullivan
isullivan

Now is the time for Checo to do a "Bottas in Hungary"

El Scorchio

NL_Fer wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 17:06
So who thinks LH44 can make the overcut work? Stretch the life of the mediums, pit late, than try to catch Max in the end with fresher hards?
Depends how the first few laps shake out. If they are running 1-2 then absolutely. If he’s stuck behind Perez or Norris it gets much more difficult. Verstappen could try and keep second place in DRS range i that case but it’s risky and he throws away his early tyre advantage.

This qualifying has made it FASCINATING