2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mattyw
Mattyw

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

NL_Fer wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 17:06
So who thinks LH44 can make the overcut work? Stretch the life of the mediums, pit late, than try to catch Max in the end with fresher hards?
Gotta be the only viable option. Same top speeds so will need a big tyre differential.

Unless Ver tyres go early so he goes two stop and ham tries to run a 1 stop and defend

Shrieker

nimoraca wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 17:06
Ham surely didnt take second on purpose. I think merc is surprised by the red bull top speed here. Max can maybe go for a one stop and than try to stay ahead of Ham in the second stint on older rubber.
Softs will be dead in 12-13 laps max. Probably more like in 10 laps, if Hamilton is right behind and hustlin' him. He has to then make the hards last for 45 laps, even pitting on lap 13 . Without scs/vscs, that's not gonna work. We are likely to at least get a vsc here tho.
Last edited by Shrieker on 11 Dec 2021, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Depends how the first lap unfolds as to how the tyre strat runs. Way too many variables. It may well be that RB think going for the 2 stop straight from the get go is the fastest for them. If they then have PER behind HAM to not allow HAM to manage his own pace/tyres then that might be ideal. But who truly knows?! They’ll have their info from the sims and the gurus back at base. Now it’s just a question whether their plan can be translated onto the track.

I am glad however it’s going to be tight. No one with 0.5s advantage (currently) and a damn squib of a final decider. Hopefully it’ll stay a nail biter. May the best man win cleanly and fairly

Starkblood80
Starkblood80

isullivan wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 17:07
Now is the time for Checo to do a "Bottas in Hungary"
Yay, let’s have the most exciting race in recent F1 history finish in a complete anticlimactic fashion just because some people are desperate to see their favourite driver win by any means possible 🤦🏼‍♂️

Tom145145
Tom145145

It’s not likely Hamilton gave up pole, but I don’t think he/the team were upset with it. If Redbull need to do a 2 stop then it’s going to be a tough race for them unless there is a safety car at a good time for them. This track is most often a 1 stop but who knows this year. I think as soon as Max was on the softs 2nd on the grid was ok for Lewis as he would have likely lost out at the start.

siskue2005

renault rs26 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 17:05
siskue2005 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 16:42
Redbull are the car to be on this season.
His lap in Jeddha and here speaks volumes of how much they have the car underneath him.
Only in Brazil and Qatar did Merc looked clearly faster.. apart from that redbull has been the fastest.

This is motor sport u need the motor (car) to win!
Imola, Portugal, Spain, Silverstone, Turkey, Monza Mercedes was slower than even Haas?
Imola, Portugal, Spain, Silverstone Redbull were equally faster! There was nothing in them really.

Shrieker

I don't quite see how this race is 'already over'.

Max was more than .3 ahead of Lewis going into the last corner in Saudia in q3. Even if he had been a tad reserved, he could've still likely snatched pole by .3 of a second; there or thereabouts. But look how the race unfolded. Especially when RB went for the medium pinning their hopes on track position, and Merc played the long game by putting on hards. We have a similar dynamic tomorrow, albeit in the opening stint.

Personally I think it's gonna be fantastic, ceteris paribus.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

El Scorchio

Shrieker wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 17:24

Max was more than .3 ahead of Lewis going into the last corner in Saudia in q3. Even if he had been a tad reserved, he could've still likely snatched pole by .3 of a second; there or thereabouts. But look how the race unfolded. Especially when RB went for the medium pinning their hopes on track position, and Merc played the long game by putting on hards. We have a similar dynamic tomorrow, albeit in the opening stint.

Agree. All the permutations in play are fascinating. I think lots of twists and turns during the race with the tyre situation.

wogx

Is this real?
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

siskue2005

El Scorchio wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 17:28
Shrieker wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 17:24

Agree. All the permutations in play are fascinating. I think lots of twists and turns during the race with the tyre situation.
Also te change in tyre pressure for today has affected Merc tyre warm up... The increased tyre pressure will degrade the tyres more in race...i don't see Max making a 1 stop, its surely a 2 stop for them...

siskue2005

Just a reminder that Max was quicker in his 2nd attempt before he aborted it, without a tow:

sushantasapkota1
sushantasapkota1

How did f2 go. Were there overtakes?

Dee
Dee

This is so very very interesting

Abu Dhabi

* Ham engine degrading, as close now to Mclaren, Bottas using old engine and P6
* Honda have tested engines with TR and now pull out all the stops for final race

Differences from SA

* RB have faster race pace from FP on both tyres here with Max using the Bahrain engine on Friday, Merc had the upper hand in FP longruns in Jeddah, by over 0.580 a lap
* RB seem to operate better at the cooler temps
* RB seem to be doing better with the new tyre pressures

djones
djones

It was win/win for Hamilton if he came 1st or 2nd.

The key is Max starting on softs means he 100% has to stop twice or have a horrific pace near the end on really worn tyres. It's Hamiltons race to lose from here.

ringo

Tom145145 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 17:18
It’s not likely Hamilton gave up pole, but I don’t think he/the team were upset with it. If Redbull need to do a 2 stop then it’s going to be a tough race for them unless there is a safety car at a good time for them. This track is most often a 1 stop but who knows this year. I think as soon as Max was on the softs 2nd on the grid was ok for Lewis as he would have likely lost out at the start.
Agreed. They wanted pole, but seem to judge that it was very likely redbull would take it, and they made preparations for that scenario.
I think it is very likely Max can just have superior pace and just disappear or very difficult for Lewis to follow. And if he has enough pace the strategy wont matter, and we have seen this a few times this year.

What I like about the Merc strategy is that the 1 stop for hard tyre is usually their go to strategy and it gives them the best pace.

What could work for Max though is an early stop for hards that sets him up to be chased by Lewis, maybe those hards will be just 10 laps older, and he can possibly hold off Hamilton to win with the skinny wing he has.

But other than that, that red tyre may be the chink in the armour. I can see Hamilton being just as fast as max after about 5 laps. Also Lewis has a knack of taking P-1 from P-2 in Abudhabi if I remember correctly.

I hope there are no crashes and both cars go into lap two one behind the other.
For Sure!!