2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
siskue2005

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

godlameroso wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 18:40
El_KaPpa wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 18:36
Let say Verstappen will pit for hards committed to the end will Hamilton have enough life in his tires at that time to create a delta against hards for an undercut?
There is no scenario where a one stop is possible.
This track has always been 1 stopper, even with the twistier and tyre eating final sector its always has been 1 stopper.'
From the runs everyone had it looks like a 1 stopper easy

sushantasapkota1
sushantasapkota1

It depends if redbulls can get the soft to last what hamilton will do in medium.. That's the only way to find is watch tomorrow..

godlameroso

Tom145145 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 18:39
godlameroso wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 18:28
Pany wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 18:14

I really hope you are right. But i recall anytime we presume there will be 2 stop possibility, during the race we end up seeing 90% of times only 1 stop....
2 stops for my own comfort lol, you guys think my strategy is the team's strategy, while they may overlap they are not exactly the same. I don't have to consider track position on a solo run, I am alpha and omega, in a race you have competitors. I only do the race to give a general hint of pace and degradation, and because I like to think I can hang with the big dogs(I know I can't, they're on another dimension of driving ability). Just because I would do a two stop doesn't mean they have to do it, they can just nurse the tires longer and live with not going faster. I can't do that, so I stop again cause I have to go faster or I get upset at myself.
I think traction out of the new hairpin and chicane will be key. If Verstappen can keep them in check for a reasonable first stint I think he will be ok, but once the rears go off you are a sitting duck on the straight even with a similar top speed as you will loose on all the straight. It’s not all done for either driver. I would say this has evened it up going into the race, slight advantage to Max.
Verstappen managed to do 8 laps during FP2 on the softs, so they have at least that much in them. If I had to guess I'd say 12-14 laps on the softs ~18 laps on the mediums +/-2, tops. That leaves a 40 lap stint on the hards, no way that's gonna work. Maybe Hamilton tries to get the win like in Bahrain, but I doubt it will work, he'll be sliding too much in sector 3. I think it's an absolute 2 stop, there's too much at stake to have another Baku like incident, so probably not safe to push the tire more than 35 laps.
Saishū kōnā

nimoraca
nimoraca

Max significantly faster on acceleration and top speed. Honda/RedBull has really puled something special here.

wogx

Low drag aero package could be the key?
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

godlameroso

hollus wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 18:43
Based on a sim.
Based on the physical reality of the tires, no way that C3 goes more than 150km, the C2 WILL NOT go 100km, never has, never will this season. In Baku, the C2 only lasted 12 laps, at 6km per lap that's 84km, assuming the C2 will go a similar distance here, in which world is a 1 stop possible? 90 + 160 is 250 unless I use common core math. That leaves 68 km to go, no way they make either tire stretch that long they'll be a sitting duck.
Last edited by godlameroso on 11 Dec 2021, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

siskue2005

godlameroso wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 18:46
Tom145145 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 18:28

2 stops for my own comfort lol, you guys think my strategy is the team's strategy, while they may overlap they are not exactly the same. I don't have to consider track position on a solo run, I am alpha and omega, in a race you have competitors. I only do the race to give a general hint of pace and degradation, and because I like to think I can hang with the big dogs(I know I can't, they're on another dimension of driving ability). Just because I would do a two stop doesn't mean they have to do it, they can just nurse the tires longer and live with not going faster. I can't do that, so I stop again cause I have to go faster or I get upset at myself.
I think traction out of the new hairpin and chicane will be key. If Verstappen can keep them in check for a reasonable first stint I think he will be ok, but once the rears go off you are a sitting duck on the straight even with a similar top speed as you will loose on all the straight. It’s not all done for either driver. I would say this has evened it up going into the race, slight advantage to Max.
Verstappen managed to do 8 laps during FP2 on the softs, so they have at least that much in them. If I had to guess I'd say 12-14 laps on the softs ~18 laps on the mediums +/-2, tops. That leaves a 40 lap stint on the hards, no way that's gonna work. Maybe Hamilton tries to get the win like in Bahrain, but I doubt it will work, he'll be sliding too much in sector 3. I think it's an absolute 2 stop, there's too much at stake to have another Baku like incident, so probably not safe to push the tire more than 35 laps.
Mediums only 18 laps?
Mediums can easily last 25 laps then rest 33 laps on hard tyres, easily doable
Softs can easily last 15 to 16 laps and then it gets trickier to put Hards for 42 laps

InsaneX_Badger

I think Max won't struggle with tyres at all. Unlike previous races there was clear indication that RB sacrificed race pace for one lap pace, but here they seem mighty strong on both occasions. I don't see much of a close race tomorrow, but I damn hope this is not the case.

Pany
Pany

nimoraca wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 18:47

Max significantly faster on acceleration and top speed. Honda/RedBull has really puled something special here.
No. Could be the engine is sligthly turned up, but the main reason is the low down force wing they are using. Let hope this wing will not make tire slide too much in medium speed turns, leading to faster degradation. The point is also why they did not approach previous race in the same way. Will see

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

siskue2005 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 18:51
godlameroso wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 18:46
Tom145145 wrote:

Mediums only 18 laps?
Mediums can easily last 25 laps then rest 33 laps on hard tyres, easily doable
Softs can easily last 15 to 16 laps and then it gets trickier to put Hards for 42 laps
This ☝️
Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

RZS10

https://press.pirelli.com/2021-abu-dhab ... -saturday/
Although the Yas Marina circuit now has a faster and more flowing layout that puts more lateral energy through the tyres than before, a one-stopper is still the fastest way to approach the 58-lap race (the total distance has been increased by three laps compared to previous seasons, on account of the shorter lap).
Both medium to hard, as well as soft to hard, are about as quick as each other over the full race distance. Starting on the soft helps to enable a quick getaway – which could be an advantage on a circuit where track position is still important – but starting on the medium gives a bit more flexibility around the pit stop window.
A two-stopper is slower but might play a role if there is a safety car. In this case using all three compounds could be an option or (for the drivers with two medium sets available) an opening and closing stint on medium with a middle stint on hard.
But what do they know ...

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I am for a two stop also. Those new corners will increase tire wear, compared to the old dull chicanes.

search

RZS10 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 19:01
https://press.pirelli.com/2021-abu-dhab ... -saturday/
Although the Yas Marina circuit now has a faster and more flowing layout that puts more lateral energy through the tyres than before, a one-stopper is still the fastest way to approach the 58-lap race (the total distance has been increased by three laps compared to previous seasons, on account of the shorter lap).
Both medium to hard, as well as soft to hard, are about as quick as each other over the full race distance. Starting on the soft helps to enable a quick getaway – which could be an advantage on a circuit where track position is still important – but starting on the medium gives a bit more flexibility around the pit stop window.
A two-stopper is slower but might play a role if there is a safety car. In this case using all three compounds could be an option or (for the drivers with two medium sets available) an opening and closing stint on medium with a middle stint on hard.
But what do they know ...
yeah, they have been wrong a couple of times, but mostly when they expected higher wear. I'd still trust them more than predictions based on playing Assetto Corsa

nokivasara
nokivasara

NL_Fer wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 19:03
I am for a two stop also. Those new corners will increase tire wear, compared to the old dull chicanes.
I'm rooting for a two stopper aswell. Mostly because it would be thrilling to see the final race being run with different strategies!

codetower

Mercedes and Tsunoda the only ones in the top 10 starting on Mediums. The rest of the top 10 starting on Softs :-k