2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

That tyre table worries my quite a bit. I assume that used medium he has left is the flat spotted one. If hes gonna do a 2 stop it will either have to be two hards or a hard and a soft that he did quali laps on. That flat spot may come back to bite him, especially considering he didnt even need to do it

LM10
LM10

Phillyred wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 20:14
Any SCs or VSCs during Max's first stint on his flat-spotted softs will absolutely help his odds of winning the race tomorrow. Hamilton made a brilliant start (or was it a restart) against Max last week so me thinks the start will be the best chance he has (all other things being equal) to get in front and stay in front of Max. I believe the Merc engine also has some life left in it for a desperate push at some point in tomorrow's race since Lewis declined a possible tow from Bottas knowing he might have something in reserve if he needs it in the race.
The softs Max has are not flat spotted.

siskue2005

Ferrari, Alpine and McLaren chose the soft tyres quite deliberately in Q2.

Binotto: "Because we think the soft tyre will give us the faster race. We would have made Q2 on the medium tyre, but we made a conscious decision to go for the softer tyres."

Ferrari found out during Friday's race simulations that the soft tyre lasts longer than expected.

Binotto: "This gives us the freedom to race with one or two stops. I think Verstappen is not so badly served with his tyre choice."

Alpine's head of operations Alan Permane agrees: "We decided on the soft tyre right from the start. The disadvantage to the medium tyre is too small to justify the risk for us to try it in Q2 on medium tyres."

Alpine Permane believes they can get to lap 18 on the soft tyre: "If we can make it to that point, a one stop is also possible." For Verstappen, this is good news. Ferrari, Alpine and McLaren will be handling their pit stops at a similar time as he will.

OO7
OO7

Phillyred wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 20:14
Any SCs or VSCs during Max's first stint on his flat-spotted softs will absolutely help his odds of winning the race tomorrow. Hamilton made a brilliant start (or was it a restart) against Max last week so me thinks the start will be the best chance he has (all other things being equal) to get in front and stay in front of Max. I believe the Merc engine also has some life left in it for a desperate push at some point in tomorrow's race since Lewis declined a possible tow from Bottas knowing he might have something in reserve if he needs it in the race.
It was his medium set that was flat spotted in Q2.

wogx

Idk if that's the best tire strategy for HAM tomorrow :lol:
Big companies still making such evident mistakes :roll:
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

dans79

LM10 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 20:11
What an amazing lap from Max. And what a turn of events as everyone was expecting Lewis to get pole quite comfortably. Was it RBR sandbagging or did they simply get get things right with the setup?
I think it was just like last weekend, in that they were targeting pole and track position over race pace! I also think the increased tire pressure helped them a little and hurt Merc a little.

The switched to a lower downforce set-up today didn't they? if so it will be interesting to see how bad their deg is.
201 105 104 9 9 7

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

wogx wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 20:29
Idk if that's the best tire strategy for HAM tomorrow :lol:
Big companies still making such evident mistakes :roll:
https://scontent-waw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=61BAA304
Puma clearly know something we don't. Rainstorm heading to the middle east

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

dans79 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 20:32
LM10 wrote:
What an amazing lap from Max. And what a turn of events as everyone was expecting Lewis to get pole quite comfortably. Was it RBR sandbagging or did they simply get get things right with the setup?
I think it was just like last weekend, in that they were targeting pole and track position over race pace! I also think the increased tire pressure helped them a little and hurt Merc a little.

The switched to a lower downforce set-up today didn't they? if so it will be interesting to see how bad their deg is.
It seemed like on Friday they had good race pace though. Maybe the better pace they had allowed them extra room to place with Qualifying. I thought in Saudi their race pace deficit came from the higher downforce they had which shouldn't be a problem here with the low downforce wing

siskue2005

dans79 wrote:
LM10 wrote:

Anyways it will be great race tomorrow
May the best man win

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

siskue2005 wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 20:37
dans79 wrote:
LM10 wrote:

Anyways it will be great race tomorrow
May the best man win
Also their soft tyre chose (it was said they were forced into that chose) contributed for their pole.

Mattyw
Mattyw

Merc reliability issue I wonder?

Not looking great for Ham

nimoraca
nimoraca

Mattyw wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 21:12

It definitely seemed that Honda engine had more power, when looking the side by side of Lewis and Max.

Shrieker

Mattyw wrote:

How does he infer engine mode from just looking at the telemetry I wonder. They might've been on an aggressive mode, but hadn't pushed %100 on the quali lap, saving it for the race.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

mstar
mstar

Shrieker wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 21:25
Mattyw wrote:

How does he infer engine mode from just looking at the telemetry I wonder. They might've been on an aggressive mode, but hadn't pushed %100 on the quali lap, saving it for the race.
Modes are not just done using PU its other aspects too. Honda and RB pulled a blinder, they negated Mercs one advantage -straight line speed.

Pany
Pany

Shrieker wrote:
11 Dec 2021, 21:25
Mattyw wrote:

Saving one lap for 50 laps of the race? Maybe you want to say they had to select the map capable to endure up to the last race lap, taking into account reliability of super engine