2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

djones wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 13:01
Ah I have just noticed Max only has one set of mediums. The lockup was to try and get a brand new set from Pirelli.

I did wonder why Hamilton made a comment about it being a fake lockup. I thought Max had two sets and Lewis was talking silly at the time.
I don't think its possible to get new set from Pirelli. If you flat spot the tyre you are starting on, you can only swap it for one of a similar mileage in your own pool I think. Max has kinda screwed himself over if he was planning on going for a two stop, he has no good tyres left for it

f1316
f1316

Anyone have the mini sectors (or even the overall best 3 sectors) for each driver?

Apparently Leclerc was on a bit of a special one (albeit partly because he took too much from the tyres in first two sectors) so intrigued to see the data:

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/lecle ... e/6874515/

Marble
Marble

Qualifying telemetry :

Enjoy this moment dear friends, this kind of finale between 2 big champions doesn't happen very often. Let's hope for a mega show and may the best driver win !

wogx

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 13:07
If you flat spot the tyre you are starting on, you can only swap it for one of a similar mileage in your own pool I think.
+1
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

TimW
TimW

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
djones wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 13:01
Ah I have just noticed Max only has one set of mediums. The lockup was to try and get a brand new set from Pirelli.

I did wonder why Hamilton made a comment about it being a fake lockup. I thought Max had two sets and Lewis was talking silly at the time.
I don't think its possible to get new set from Pirelli. If you flat spot the tyre you are starting on, you can only swap it for one of a similar mileage in your own pool I think. Max has kinda screwed himself over if he was planning on going for a two stop, he has no good tyres left for it
I thought it is if you do not have another set (which Max does not of I am correct). Unless they judge the flat spot not severe enough

djones
djones

wogx wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 13:09
BlueCheetah66 wrote:
If you flat spot the tyre you are starting on, you can only swap it for one of a similar mileage in your own pool I think.
+1
I’m 70% sure if you don’t have any others in the pool (he only had one set all weekend) it will be swapped for a brand new set of its on safety grounds.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

djones wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 13:16
wogx wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 13:09
BlueCheetah66 wrote:
+1
I’m 70% sure if you don’t have any others in the pool (he only had one set all weekend) it will be swapped for a brand new set of its on safety grounds.
I feel like that would only happen if he was starting on those tyres. Plus, I feel like we would have heard something about that since Qualifying

djones
djones

Even though he is starting on softs, it would still have been a nice bonus to have some brand new mediums to use in the race if needed.

From what I’ve read Pirelli have not swapped them. Meaning they are basically useless as they did two runs and also had a small flat spot.

Max therefore has used softs and two new sets of hard for the race.

wogx

That flat spot was barely visible. If he really did that on purpose, then he should lock it up much more, or lock it up again in another corner, to be sure about the replacement.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

siskue2005

If it comes down to replacing that particular tyre alone, then Max has other Mediium tyres which was used in Friday practice which is with Pirelli, they can allocate on tyre to from that to replace the tyre. There is no way they just give out new sets of tyres

jurinius
jurinius

Redbull will also try a one stop but it depends on events (If Perez is close enough to push Ham), They use to gamble because they trust the HPU. All of this depends on Lewis start and the last ones were perfect so I think the race will be spicy.
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

wogx

If those tires were replaced, that would be unfair & unsportsmanlike. Hamilton's fans would be fuming about that - and they would have 100% right about it. Was that a mind game, or not - tires weren't replaced, and that was the best decision.

Tizz

wogx wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 13:31
That flat spot was barely visible. If he really did that on purpose, then he should lock it up much more, or lock it up again in another corner, to be sure about the replacement.
Don’t know but it was quite a lockup…

wogx

Tizz wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 13:45
Don’t know but it was quite a lockup…

Was it? :-k Maybe that's the effect of artificial lighting, but it doesn't look terribly to me.
That's a flat spot!

TimW
TimW

wogx wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 13:38
If those tires were replaced, that would be unfair & unsportsmanlike. Hamilton's fans would be fuming about that - and they would have 100% right about it. Was that a mind game, or not - tires weren't replaced, and that was the best decision.
Those tires would only be replaced if he HAD to start on them and they would be deemed unsafe. And it would simply be according to the rules. It would be as unfair and unsportsmanlike as lucking out with a pitstop under the safety car. Or being lucky with a red flag and getting p1. Or being allowed to unlap and repair your car under a red flag. (I.e not unsportsmanlike at all)