2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

Just. What a stitch up. Still.

I get they were faced with deciding the title either way but surely err on the side of the guy who did all the hard work and owned this race from the first corner to halfway through the final lap and won it on merit if you’re going to do anything.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

So we’re going to let lapped cars unlap themselves…….but only enough of them to give Verstappen a clear shot at the leader.

Utter BS.

F1T
Administrative bot

Verstappen wins title on final lap at Abu Dhabi after contested SC restart

Verstappen wins title on final lap at Abu Dhabi after contested SC restart

Max Verstappen has won the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and hence the 2021 Formula One World Championship after trailing Hamilton until the very final lap when an unexpected safety car restart turned the table. Carlos Sainz finished third for Ferrari.

Spacepace

If it turns out that FIA didn't follow the rules it won't matter. What are Mercedes going to do bring them to court. I don't see Massi having a job for very long. Hasn't handled things very well. Mercedes will want him gone

dans79

Merc should Strait up protest or sue the fia.
201 105 104 9 9 7

InsaneX_Badger

Congratulations Max, on this race alone this feels like an absolute robbery. But the rest of the season he has been mighty. Just still can't believe the flip flop nature of Michael Masi, if he is going to let the lapped cars overtake, maybe let them all do it, and do it right away. Just cannot believe it. Just seems so artificial.
Last edited by InsaneX_Badger on 12 Dec 2021, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

Roo
Roo

Massi saying one thing to RB and another to Merc..

Massi being agressive to Merc

Interesting Brundel says Merc will be following up on proceedure. cannot disagree

motobaleno

I think that today wolff passed the sign. He talked to Masi as if he (Wolff) was his boss. Next year masi must be substituted but If I was Kallenius i would seriously consider wolff position. Wolff is a great promoter for himself and lewis. I'm not sure that he is as efficient for mercedes in term of brand image.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Total robbery. Protest this and take the fake title away from the cheater/s.

zeph
zeph

Shady ending. I'm prolly in tinfoil hat territory here, but looks like a directive came from upstairs to guarantee a final lap showdown. Very Hollywood, very NASCAR.

I said back in 2018 that Liberty would eventually prioritize entertainment over sporting values.

Nvertheless, I think Verstappen had a fantastic season and is not undeserving, even if Hamilton had the better of him in the last few races. Just a shame that F1 resorts to this kind of trickery to ensure maximum entertainment.

e30ernest
e30ernest

I need a drink after this... lol.... While I think Max deserved the championship, I can't help but think this was robbed from Lewis. Man....

yelistener

Lewis has been the luckiest driver in recent years, but this year he seems to have used all his luck before Abu Dhabi. Clearly tonight he was the better driver, but bad luck just kept coming at him and eventually caused him a easy win. And this obviously added quite a lot of controversies to Max's championship.

But I'm sure Liberty Media is now loving the hell out of this controversial race.

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

"We went car racing"

Explain Spa Michael, explain Spa.

Big Tea

Glad to see Max as champ, but that was a stitch up. If due to design or incompetence I don't know, but Masi must be reconsidered
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Formula 1: The pinnacle of motor racing. What a joke! Straight up disgusting.

The bad thing is nothing will change, maybe FIA issue a statement that they are sorry at best and that's it.

Life goes on.