2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
the poster below
the poster below

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

I think if Mercedes want to object, article 48.12 of the sporting regs seems to have been half followed:

Having overtaken the cars on the lead lap and the safety car these cars should then proceed
around the track at an appropriate speed, without overtaking, and make every effort to take up position at the back of the line of cars behind the safety car. Whilst they are overtaking, and in order to ensure this may be carried out safely, the cars on the lead lap must always stay on the racing line unless deviating from it is unavoidable. Unless the clerk of the course considers the presence of the safety car is still necessary, once the last lapped car has passed the leader the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap.

So, it seems that only once the last lapped car has passed, the safety car should've pitted at the end of the next lap, which would've been lap 58. At least that's what the rules appear to say to me.

El Scorchio

The fact they abandoned protocol to essentially engineer a Verstappen win is extraordinary. Mercedes won’t get anywhere but yes they should protest. But it’s not Red Bull’s fault the FIA sent them the title on a plate.

It’s beyond luck.

Phil

A real pity. Max certainly is as deserving as Lewis given how well he and RedBull has performed this year, but this just feels manipulated. No words for Massi. As a fan, I expect better.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Spacepace wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 16:53
If it turns out that FIA didn't follow the rules it won't matter. What are Mercedes going to do bring them to court. I don't see Massi having a job for very long. Hasn't handled things very well. Mercedes will want him gone
Of course it matters if rules were not followed. Then any court will find in Mercedes favour.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

All season long: the only consistent thing is the FIAs inconsistency. I’m not sure what needs to be done but a procedural review of how the sport gets officiated and clear up the rules has now become abundantly evident.

It’s damaging to the sport.

On todays performance Lewis was on merit the winner. However live sport Always has this element of jeopardy. Mental. Congrats to Max, he fought hard sometimes (too hard) but kept himself in it “just” and was there to take advantage.

nacho
nacho

In any sports you kind of need to have rules and that those rules are obeyed, otherwise the sport loses value and meaning. In this case we don't even have the competitors breaking rules but the rule makers and those who are supposed to be the referees breaking the rules. This is bizzarre.

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

Honestly, in all of this Hamilton failed to hone his racecraft for his "enemy". He should've held the inside line into the hairpin and run max wide. If you give Max a hint of the inside line a dozen times, he takes all the time.

There's no legal recourse for Merc. Team and driver need to go take a hard look for every improvement opportunity next year.
Last edited by rifrafs2kees on 12 Dec 2021, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

djones
djones

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

If it was car racing then they would have red flagged it and let them duke it out. If it ended in a wreck and Max wins, I’m cool with that, but it would have been equal footing.

NASCAR fixes stuff but they are least more subtle about it.

I could have gone either way, Lewis or Max deserved to win, but that left a real sour taste in my mouth and I think my following F1 is going to be more limited going forward if that’s how it’s going to be.

I do think Mercedes is going to raise enough stink behind closed doors that they’ll offer Massi’s head on a plate and get rid of him.

siskue2005

If Lewis pitted, Max would stay out and they could possibly end the race behind the safety car anyway.

El Scorchio

the poster below wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 17:06
I think if Mercedes want to object, article 48.12 of the sporting regs seems to have been half followed:

Having overtaken the cars on the lead lap and the safety car these cars should then proceed
around the track at an appropriate speed, without overtaking, and make every effort to take up position at the back of the line of cars behind the safety car. Whilst they are overtaking, and in order to ensure this may be carried out safely, the cars on the lead lap must always stay on the racing line unless deviating from it is unavoidable. Unless the clerk of the course considers the presence of the safety car is still necessary, once the last lapped car has passed the leader the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap.

So, it seems that only once the last lapped car has passed, the safety car should've pitted at the end of the next lap, which would've been lap 58. At least that's what the rules appear to say to me.
It won’t make a difference but yes. They didn’t follow their own procedures in their haste to have that one lap… I don’t even want to call it a shoot out because it was a mere formality for Verstappen to win after they did everything possible to guarantee it. In any other race that would have ended under the safety car, and this one should have as well.

InsaneX_Badger

Even if the rules were not followed, absolutely nothing will be gained from it. JUST IMAGINE the backlash if a decision is made, it will absolutely destroy the sport. I think everyone in the FIA hierarchy will be playing hush hush as this would destroy everything, not to mention how red bull would be robbed. They shouldn't be punished due to the incompetency of the rule makers. They will protest, but nothing will come of it.

Spacepace

InsaneX_Badger wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 16:57
Congratulations Max, on this race alone this feels like an absolute robbery. But the rest of the season he has been mighty. Just still can't believe the flip flop nature of Michael Masi, if he is going to let the lapped cars overtake, maybe let them all do it, and do it right away. Just cannot believe it. Just seems so artificial.
That is where all these issues have started from this year. He is trying to please everyone but ends up making the wrong decision whether that has helped Mercedes or Red Bull. Massi shouldn't be taking advice from the teams racing. He lets teams pressure him. He needs to draw a hardline.

Great job by Hamilton this year. Really had to pick up the team early in the year and when they had the car at the end was super focused and consistency. Huge respect to Lewis and Anthony Hamilton at the end of the race there

Verstappen, great drive this year. Drove above expected for fighting at this level for the first time. Thought he would have cracked more. He's the real deal

MtthsMlw

What did I just watch

e30ernest
e30ernest

rifrafs2kees wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 17:14
Honestly, in all of this Hamilton hamilton failed to hone his racecraft for his "enemy". He should've held the inside line into the hairpin and run max wide. If you give Max a hint of the inside line a dozen times, he takes all the time.
No, because with that move, either Max will run into him, or he can get penalized (given how that went last race when Max did that). If for a great stroke of luck Lewis held that place at that corner, he would have had a compromised exit coming into a big straight.

Either way, Max would have gotten the championship.