2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
fourmula1
fourmula1

Re: 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Dec 10 - 12

I think what everyone is getting at is that as soon as the safety car comes out, everyone should know what the protocols are and what will unfold - every. single. time. Not what will unfold in terms of final results but in terms of procedures. Clean up the mess -> allow all back markers to un lap -> then resume the race. Every single time. That is the key. Consistency.

sushantasapkota1
sushantasapkota1

Mercedes have lodge the protects.

Protest by Mercedes-AMG PETRONAS Formula One Team against Car 33, alleged breach of Article 48.8 of the 2021 FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations

Protest by Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team against the classification established at the end of the Competition, alleged breach of Article 48.12 of the 2021 FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.

Ryar

Jolle wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 17:36
One thing is for sure, “the FIA/Sterwards/FOM/Masi” is favouring Mercedes/Hamilton can’t be used the coming years.
Why? Because of one freaky incident? How can we forget FIA allowed a questionably legal Mercedes car to race, which gained close to a second pace with all that trickery. Red Bull's pleas weren't even given a due hearing. Unlike in any past year, Mercedes gains such an advantage and that wasn't enough for FIA to give a due consideration. Except for this one incident, FIA has unquestionably favored Mercedes. That isn't going to change.
Hakuna Matata!

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Wowzer.

Logged in to see the vitriol.

Seems we can agree they are amazing drivers.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

e30ernest
e30ernest

Max summoned by the stewards for overtaking under the safety car.

Just Passing By

I'm not a fan of either Hamilton or Verstappen, but this is not right for me how it comes to end ...

jknights
jknights

There we go.
Mercedes lodge protest over race restart with FIA.

El Scorchio

It’s unbelievable that both drivers really behaved well and drive great races but the FIA still independently found a way to **** it all up and ruin the race and the season.

Spacepace

falonso81 wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 17:32
Ferrari fan here. Happy for Carlos podium and happy that someone else won the title besides Hamilton. To me, everyone here has the wrong idea about Michael Masi. He is not the right guy for this job, not because he is incompetent, but because he is too soft of a character. He tries to please both Horner and Wolf and somehow tries to fix a mistake by making another one. Someone really high (or maybe Masi reconsidered) must have given the order for lapped cars to go by, because it would have robbed everyone of the battle between Max and Lewis if they didn't.

My guess about not all cars going by, is that the call came at the very last moment, almost the same time the SC ending was announced, so not everyone got the chance to unlap themselves or else they would have interfered with the front runners. The blame ultimately lies with the FIA, and if a protest from Mercedes goes through and reverse the outcome, it would mean the end for F1.
100% agree. He is soft and isn't authoritative. Massi will be looking for a job.

Starkblood80
Starkblood80

Stu wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 17:26
El Scorchio wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 17:07
The fact they abandoned protocol to essentially engineer a Verstappen win is extraordinary. Mercedes won’t get anywhere but yes they should protest. But it’s not Red Bull’s fault the FIA sent them the title on a plate.

It’s beyond luck.
I can totally see your point, but the only other option for the race director was to keep the safety car out until the end (which would have equally been considered an engineered result). I just wonder whether had Mercedes have handed the place back on lap one (personally, I see no difference between that incident and the one last week after the first restart - MV had to give the place back), whether they would have held the same tactical advantage during the VSC period. LH would be champion now.
It would have been much less engineered to finish the race under the safety car considering Hamilton had been leading the whole race and had an 11 second cushion. Even leaving the 5 cars between Hamilton and Verstappen would have been a fairer way to restart the race. Allowing Verstappen to close up by only removing the 5 cars between him and Hamilton is absolutely wrong.

InsaneX_Badger

I'm going to be honest, the result won't change. But I can guarantee Michael Masi will be fired. And if not that's a bigger crime than what's happened here.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

MtthsMlw wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 17:21
What did I just watch
A farce

dans79

This is the rule was violated twice!

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... -12-08.pdf

If the clerk of the course considers it safe to do so, and the message "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW
OVERTAKE" has been sent to all Competitors via the official messaging system, any cars that
have been lapped by the leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety
car.

This will only apply to cars that were lapped at the time they crossed the Line at the end of the
lap during which they crossed the first Safety Car line for the second time after the safety car
was deployed.

Having overtaken the cars on the lead lap and the safety car these cars should then proceed
around the track at an appropriate speed, without overtaking, and make every effort to take up
position at the back of the line of cars behind the safety car. Whilst they are overtaking, and in
order to ensure this may be carried out safely, the cars on the lead lap must always stay on the
racing line unless deviating from it is unavoidable. Unless the clerk of the course considers the
presence of the safety car is still necessary, once the last lapped car has passed the leader the
safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap.

If the clerk of the course considers track conditions are unsuitable for overtaking the message
"OVERTAKING WILL NOT BE PERMITTED" will be sent to all Competitors via the official messaging
system.
201 105 104 9 9 7

jknights
jknights

e30ernest wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 17:44
Max summoned by the stewards for overtaking under the safety car.
I just dont believe this.
What did Max do wrong?
Not more opportunity incompetence by Masi.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Just Passing By wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 17:45
I'm not a fan of either Hamilton or Verstappen, but this is not right for me how it comes to end ...
Finish behind the SC would be right than?