2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
UnaF1
UnaF1

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

diffuser wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 22:02
UnaF1 wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 21:59
I'm not a fan of this livery, to be honest. Guess I'm too conservative, but this is not RB this is Mclaren, it needs to be unique. Too aggressive style for me, but let's hope it drives better than it looks
More black to keep paint weight off ?

https://media-cdn.mclaren.com/media/ima ... 00x620.jpg

Hard to tell if it is Pullrod front suspension. Looks like it might be but high chance of error with those two shots.
I just don't know, it looks too noisy to me, not free flowing.
As for the front suspension, it is pull rod.

Marc.W

Now the question we're all wondering, does Gary Anderson like it or not?

JordanMugen

the EDGE wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 21:41
McL-H wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 21:40
It is the most hideous McLaren I have ever seen. But glad they actually revealed the real car. Let’s hope it is fast.
Shocked…. It’s Beautiful!
It looks like a 90's sneaker or tracksuit. I'm not a huge fan of the livery, it's striking but it's not exactly classy -- it's very much the Daniel Ricciardo helmet of liveries.

The MCL33 in simple gloss Papaya Spark (IIRC the colour code correctly, it wasn't 'McLaren Orange' which is a little bit more yellow) with minimal accents remains my favourite modern orange McLaren livery:

FWIW, I would always advocate for mostly red for Ferrari, mostly green for Aston Martin, mostly yellow for Renault and mostly orange for McLaren. I though the mostly black Renault liveries were silly, and not a good way to optimise the brand identity. Red car, red uniforms, red garage for Ferrari... green car, green uniforms, green garage for Aston Martin... It just works IMO (yes I am aware that Ferrari mostly used yellow Agip team uniforms, historically :) ).

Henri
Henri

The Orange is horrible.. at least go back to silver or white smh

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 22:12
So compared to what we have seen so far with the other two cars what is your first thought? Is it a show car or the real thing?
It’s definitely not a “show car”… It’s the real thing… We are missing a lot of bits and pieces (like fences on the tunnel, T-tray area and other parts that the team seems to be hiding for now), but it is the MCL36

Darth-Piekus

To me it looked simpler than Red Bull's or Aston Martin's car. I suppose the full car with all it's parts will be revealed on the first test.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Marc.W wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 22:31
Now the question we're all wondering, does Gary Anderson like it or not?
Gary Anderson will probably do a coin toss to decide.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

UnaF1
UnaF1

Henri wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 22:43
The Blue is even worse

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 22:47
To me it looked simpler than Red Bull's or Aston Martin's car. I suppose the full car with all it's parts will be revealed on the first test.
Well… Red Bull’s was the FOM car in their livery, so I don’t know how you can say that McLaren’s is “simpler”.

Regarding Aston Martin, I disagree, I think there is more innovation in the MCL36 (even without the missing bits), but it’s a matter of opinion

JordanMugen

Henri wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 22:43
Why would it be silver for? Orange is the colour of McLaren cars, as red is the colour of Ferarri cars, isn't it? :) :?:

Silver is indeed the colour of Mercedes cars, and we are expecting them to indeed race in silver again in 2022.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

James Key in regards to the car launched today and the development plan for the MCL36:

“I think we can be proud of presenting a real car, because it absolutely is,” Key said. “It’s the car we’ll be taking to Barcelona.

“Yes, we’ve hidden a few bits and pieces for obvious reasons – there are some sensitive areas. As far as the development plan is concerned, like every team I’m sure, we have development steps to come early on, because it is still very much a learning process at this stage.

“We’ll be bringing some updates to Bahrain and the next parts are already in process now. I think we’ll see the car change. I’m sure everyone’s car is going to change.”

With such major rules changes affecting so many areas of car design for 2022, Key says there will be three main areas of focus for McLaren as they launch the MCL36 ahead of new season.

“I think there’s three phases to this,” Key said. “The first is learning your car – does it correlate, does it do what you expect it to do? You have directions on how you want to develop and how you want to move forward.

“The next is getting a rough idea of where you are – we don’t know. I think that will change dramatically through the season anyway. But getting a rough idea may bring some developments that are already in process now, based on our own knowledge, forward for example, just to try and plug the gap.

“Then there’s all the information you get from nine other teams. They’ve all faced the same challenges and problems that we have to try to squeeze as much performance out of a set of regulations which appear to be simpler, but actually are surprisingly complex in nature. Looking at what others are doing and where the trends are beginning to emerge, I think it will influence all of us as to what we do next and how we approach our development process.”

Macklaren
Macklaren

My 2c...
the livery: I was shocked by the initial reveal. Not in a good or bad way...just very different than what I was expecting. It has grown on me the last couple of hours. But clearly with the fluoro orange and neon blue, they are going after a younger (more gamer?) demographic than 40 year olds like me who were expecting a "classy" livery (I agree with the above poster that the MCL33 was the best recent papaya livery).
the car: I'm sure its going to be scrutinized to minutiae by people much smarter than me but I think what we are seeing here is a canvas that is 70% painted and as such, we have a general idea of what the picture is about and will look like but its pointless to judge the final outcome until Barcelona or even Bahrain.
What is clear is that the game is on! Two real cars so far and they have both taken BIG risks (AMR sidepods and MCL suspension)

DarkAlman
DarkAlman

Macklaren wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 23:21
I'm sure its going to be scrutinized to minutiae by people much smarter than me
Your wish is my command

Front to back:

Noticeable dip in the front wing mid section and gap under the nose, looks similar to the launch Aston but the shakedown pictures of the Aston show no gap between the nose and wing and a wide gap under the front wing similar to an Indycar. Likely to allow more airflow to the under body. But Mclaren seem to have a wide gap between the nose tip and lower wing element, likely to generate more front downforce. Reminds me of the 2008 BMW Sauber front wing (where Andreas Seidl was working at the time).

Aston front wing at Silverstone for comparison

Vortex generator on the mid of the upper wing main-plane likely to control airflow around the suspension elements

McLarens front wing has slats at the bottom of the end plate vs the solid piece on the Aston. Aston is running a traditional semi-circular curved down slat on the bottom of the front wing endplate (at launch), while McLaren is using the tips of the front wing as vortex generators. That's interesting. Looks like the Aston has this as well on the shakedown spec

Noticeably large straight cut out of the barge board

Sidepod air intakes look tiny, Haas ran similar tiny intakes on their car at launch. Aston is running a square intake, mclarens is much wider and rectangular.

No vertical pillar on the mirror to the chassis, unlike the HAAS or Aston. Mclarens mirror mount far more sculpted.

Aston's side pods are huge compared to the coke bottle on the Mclaren and Haas. Aston have tons of ventilation on top of the chassis though, so they might be trying something. Possibly trying to use the hot air on the surface of the body to do something? While Mclaren are using the traditional approach of streamlining the packaging around the engine.

Flat area with no vortex generators on the rear floor. This area is worth paying attention too because it can be used to control the rear tire wake.

bauc

AaaaHhhhh not so great launch and I kinda don't like the new livery.... but I will hold my final jugdement til I see it on the track.
Last edited by bauc on 12 Feb 2022, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Zynerji

If the front wing was carbon, and the Velo logo and endplate verticals were in orange, it would be more balanced I think. More carbon, less Papaya.