Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Ferrari F1-75

AeroDynamic wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 18:17
managed to unlock some higher res images :wink:
Brightened for detail+
Interesting notch in the edge of the diffuser wall just near to the floor.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

organic

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 18:56
AeroDynamic wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 18:17
managed to unlock some higher res images :wink:
Brightened for detail+
https://i.imgur.com/iR0WnpO.png
Interesting notch in the edge of the diffuser wall just near to the floor.
I believe all teams so far showing real cars are using this mouse hole type notch this year. Seems like it offers large performance gain to all concepts

pierrre
pierrre

timbo wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 15:41
My eyeball windtunnel says it might be something like this:

https://i.postimg.cc/TPh99fRF/2022-02-17-16-38-26.png

PS. Perhaps the rotation is the other way around.
their philosophy is very clear, they are working the rear wing a lot more than the other teams. even the shape of the sidepods reflect the lower section of the rear wings shape and a testament to this is the large sidepod intake taking some volume off the very small air scoop on the top...

Vanja #66

Hi everyone, long time no see :D

In my view, sidepods are doing multiple things, but the big indent is definitely shaped like a wing upper surface, meaning it's also creating downforce. I'll be doing some 2022 F1 car remodelling together with Vyssion and jjn and we'll do some CFD afterwards. If all goes well, might have some rough early results over the weekend.

Cheers!
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

JPBD1990 wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 16:12
Also we all heard the rumours of ‘vertical’ sidepods which we can see now was clearly accurate and refers to the outer most surface of the sidepods.

Makes me worry about the rumour that Ferrari aren’t happy with the windtunnel results as if the other rumours are accurate why not this one?
I guess that's either Ferrari spreading false rumours to throw other teams off the scent or they are having legit wind tunnel issues. Won't be long till we discover what the truth of the matter is there.

Looks like part of the sidepod design is to move the hot air over the beam wing to keep the air going over the car as stable as possible.

Pandamasque

F1NAC wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 15:33
Pandamasque wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 15:28
Note, the front of the sidepods under the inlets is a CONCAVE surface :wtf:
so what is the point about this concave surface under. To push the wake of the floor and rear wings? Some of the air will spill around the sides but some of it will go wider right?
The best explanation I've seen is to create a high pressure zone above the floor tunnel inlet to aid suction, as well as to create a strong outwash below the sidepod inlet: those concave surfaces are still facing outward somewhat.

lh13 wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 18:48
Pandamasque wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 16:28
Here's thought about the sombrero sidepods - if there's a wet race, those sidepods are going to become lakes whilst the car is sat on the grid. Then when it pulls away, that water is going to go backwards on to the rear end / rear tyres.

I realise wet race starts are relatively rare, but I wonder if they thought about it...
With the intensity of rain needed to fill those lakes in a matter of seconds after the formation lap, the tyres would be soaked anyway.
Don't forget the grills.
Well, they don't call it WATERcooled for nothing!

Manfer
Manfer

One of the things that gives me confidence regarding this years car is how much the team worked on fixing their simulation issues last year, with constant runs around Fiorano using the older models to calibrate their new simulator.
i also would like to believe they were running similar tests trying to correlate the wind tunnel data, since whatever update they brought to the cars in 2021 stayed on it till the end of the year.
All the above gives me optimism for this years car, knowing they are using the right tools to build the car ground up.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

DChemTech wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 18:37
Holm86 wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 18:34
DChemTech wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 18:31

They said that, that would really, really suck. Penalizing teams for doing a good job in an engineering sport. Completely unfair if they are going to change rules mid-season, and fully opposed to everything the sport should be about. Let's hope it doesn't get to that.
I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that FIA would not change the regulations mid season this year
Let's hope you are right, but that is hard to rhyme with statements on making changes if someone is out of the intended performance window. If the designs are not in line with what the FIA intended to have been designed, they should have written better rules. I would be hugely disappointed if the FIA starts banning creative solutions that are legal according to the rules as they are, simply because they didn't foresee/intend for such interpretations.
Brawn’s statements:

Teams now know that their R&D investment could be wasted if a route they have pursued without clearing it with the FIA is subsequently blocked.

"That's part of the reason why the governance has changed," said Brawn. "And the governance has not just changed in order to be able to change the rules at short notice, the governance has changed because teams know you can change the rules at short notice.

"So they're far more likely to want to be comfortable with their ideas or concepts before they release them.

"It's a circular thing. If you know that eight teams and the FIA and F1 could stop you doing something if they feel it’s wrong, then you're a bit more circumspect in doing it, knowing that that could be an issue. So I think the governance is something which also gives another layer of protection."

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Pandamasque wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 18:01
It's the photo angle. The wing is actually surprisingly mid loaded, like the Williams and the Sauber. Rounded nose profile like on the FW44 as well.
It's definitely not a photo angle thing.

The top flap is clearly quite 'flat' and relatively thin in its profile for most of its length, until tapering towards the endplate. It's unlike any of the cars we've seen so far. This is apparent from basically any angle you view it from.

We'll have to see if this is the actual wing they show up with at the test, but as of now, they are definitely doing something different.

hichamo
hichamo

Hello everyone, can any one tells me how I can post a pic from an android phone!
When I click on image , it won't go to the gallery to select one, it only writes [img] .
Thanks in advance.

One and Only

Anyone knows what could be the benefit of having wastegate merge into exhaust pipe?
"Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk." Tom Waits

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

One and Only wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 20:02
Anyone knows what could be the benefit of having wastegate merge into exhaust pipe?
They have to by rules.

There shouldn’t be much of a performance benefit, as they are per rules, especially when you compare id areas of each tube. My guess is there is some influencing of the low pressure in the exhaust manifold on how it performs vs one dumping into atmosphere, but I can’t think of a real benefit other than maybe the speed in which the servo needs to react.

pierrre
pierrre

sidepod and rear wing shape

mzso
mzso

Re: Scuderia Ferrari F1-75 speculation thread

LM10 wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 15:10
Oh man, what a car! I love it!

It's absolutely unique. The shape of the sidepods. :o

Overall really aggressive looking.
To me its ominous. I can't remember a radical design becoming successful since I've been watching F1.

Zynerji

Re: Scuderia Ferrari F1-75 speculation thread

mzso wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 20:15
LM10 wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 15:10
Oh man, what a car! I love it!

It's absolutely unique. The shape of the sidepods. :o

Overall really aggressive looking.
To me its ominous. I can't remember a radical design becoming successful since I've been watching F1.
The 2009 Brawn and 2017 Ferrari would like a word with you...😁