Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1motta
f1motta

Re: Mercedes W13

PlatinumZealot

JPower wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 18:11
Two very recently former F1 aerodynamicists post videos and people question their bonafides like they know better. Gotta love the internet. :lol:
I dont trust the Bsport guy. He says he used to work for Audi sport. He seems to just copy what kyle says imo. But glad to be enlightened.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

JPower
JPower

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 21:08
JPower wrote:
Two very recently former F1 aerodynamicists post videos and people question their bonafides like they know better. Gotta love the internet. :lol:
I dont trust the Bsport guy. He says he used to work for Audi sport. He seems to just copy what kyle says imo. But glad to be enlightened.
Audi Sport, and Force India/Racing Point, and McLaren. And he often releases his videos before Kyle Engineers so I don't know how he'd copying him. I don't think it would be out of question for two people of similar backgrounds to come to similar conclusions. He also pointed out the AMR21's weaknesses last year before anyone else.

Pandamasque

Henri wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 19:50

All great looking cars
Best looking grid since about 1993.
PlatinumZealot wrote:
JPower wrote:
Just look at his older videos where he talks about various other cars and his experience in the industry.

jjn9128

PlatinumZealot wrote:
JPower wrote:
He typically posts before Kyle soooooo... :lol:
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

mzso
mzso

Motörhead wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 11:48
MtthsMlw wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 11:44
https://i.imgur.com/3VKUADo.png
Pitot's on the top of the floor ready for the test. Seems like that's the floor that they will start with......
Or a really elaborate deception.

Mitch2.0

jjn9128 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 22:09
PlatinumZealot wrote:
JPower wrote:
I love this vital and easy to verify bit of evidence that the original poster didn’t bother checking. Haha

carisi2k

A couple of things I have noticed on this Mercedes I would like clearing up.

How is the front wing legal on the W13? I was under the impression that the new rules state that the front wing can not have a step in it like the W13 clearly has and the the wing must flow seamlessly to the nose. I am also wondering about the bottom of the sideplate where Mercedes have cut out some of the shape and have much tighter and squarer radii then what I understood to be legal.

On the rear wing and I have also noticed this on the Ferrari, there seems to be a section where there is a cut and then the wing goes flat and coming to a point which would seem to create a vortex going against the spirit of the rules to remove such items from the cars.

Also I just noted that on the rear of the wing there seems to be serrated edges. Again a thing that I understood to be illegal.

FWandE
FWandE

carisi2k wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 22:49

How is the front wing legal on the W13? I was under the impression that the new rules state that the front wing can not have a step in it like the W13 clearly has and the the wing must flow seamlessly to the nose. I am also wondering about the bottom of the sideplate where Mercedes have cut out some of the shape and have much tighter and squarer radii then what I understood to be legal.

On the rear wing and I have also noticed this on the Ferrari, there seems to be a section where there is a cut and then the wing goes flat and coming to a point which would seem to create a vortex going against the spirit of the rules to remove such items from the cars.

Also I just noted that on the rear of the wing there seems to be serrated edges. Again a thing that I understood to be illegal.
I have seen no step on the front wing. I'm not sure about the side plate but other cars seem similar, I'd be surprised if Merc didn't get their design approved.
I'm also not sure what you are talking about on the rear wing. Perhaps you could show some photos with the the bits that concern you highlighed in some way.

PlatinumZealot

Mitch2.0 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 22:13
jjn9128 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 22:09
PlatinumZealot wrote:

I love this vital and easy to verify bit of evidence that the original poster didn’t bother checking. Haha
Cant be bothered. That's why I have you guys.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

carisi2k wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 22:49

There is no such thing as the "spirit of the rules", it has been argued in court of law in 2009 and was declared to not exist in regards to the technical regulations in F1.

Unc1eM0nty

DarthPlagueisTheVise wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 13:35
I am honestly puzzled as to why merc are releasing so much footage of the new car. They could have just done the launch with the show car and then do a shakedown like RB
Everyone will see their real cars on Wednesday anyway, will a few days really matter in the great sceheme of things ?

And secondly I'm always sceptical about what teams can really copy from each other anyway, maybe a few fine details thet they'd not thought of, but the overall aero phylosophy is locked into the chassis.

It's designed as a package, a team can't just copying another teams front wing and expect it to work their sidepods and floor. And with the budget restraints large re-designs are out of the question, they'll have to work with what they have.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 17:52
Ryar wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 17:30
JPBD1990 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 15:27

Kyle.engineers comments that the front and rear wings are among the most cranked we’ve seen so far. Given they’re relatively ‘inefficient’ aero surfaces compared to, for example, the underfloor and diffuser, does this suggest they’ve struggled to extract the downforce there and need it from the wings instead?

Or are they just doing a ‘downforce at all costs’ type approach…
I got to same questions looking at the difference between Ferrari and Merc rear wings.

'Downforce at all costs' is a risky exercise now as Honda has been on par with performance and noises from Ferrari claim they have regained a lot of power. The engine power is even more skewed situation due to E10. Unless, Merc have found a miracle fountain of power that then allows them to go for 2019 philosophy of 'Downforce at all costs' . The other plausible theory could be, this is once again an old iteration of the development phase and they have another, more advanced version scheduled to come out.
Or they have an otherwise low drag car and so the wings aren't an issue.

Or they have just presented the car in its "it's wet for the filming day and we don't want to bend the new car" maximum downforce trim.

Or none of the teams have shown a representative car yet.

Or...
Edit: sorry I replied to the wrong person and am too inept to work out how to delete my comment. How embarrassing for me.

I love comments like this because what is your point? I of course acknowledge all of those things. I’m just introducing I thought an interesting hypothesis into discussion based on an analysis by a professional. Isn’t that the point of forums? To discuss things? Or is it just to say “nobody knows so why ask?” Ok my apologies I will be sure not to.
Last edited by JPBD1990 on 20 Feb 2022, 04:52, edited 1 time in total.

carisi2k

FWandE wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 00:23
I have seen no step on the front wing. I'm not sure about the side plate but other cars seem similar, I'd be surprised if Merc didn't get their design approved.
I'm also not sure what you are talking about on the rear wing. Perhaps you could show some photos with the the bits that concern you highlighed in some way.
That is because you are looking at the renders which have what I believe to be a legal wing vs the launch car which has the step down in on the inner wing I am talking about. Since you can't post images directly using drag and drop I can not show you what I am talking about.

As for the rear wing it is the top of the back of the wing where Mercedes, Ferrari and maybe some others have taken a little cut out of the section and straightened the endplate leaving a sharp edge. The mercedes also looks to have some serrated edges along the rear vertical section of the rear wing from almost top to the bottom.

e30ernest
e30ernest

f1motta wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 21:02
Yeah I posted the same here:

viewtopic.php?p=1033417#p1033417

Nice to see it in motion. Originally I thought they came from the lower wheel fairing. But maybe not?