Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JPower
JPower

Re: Ferrari F1-75

tpe wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 22:27
I am confused.
I like the side of the car, but I don't necessarily like the whole car.
I find it strange that the floor, which in theory is the most important element of this formula looks so simple. Of course they could hide things, but we are less that 18 hours before the very first test of the season.
Even AR, or AT have a much more developed floor. I really hope they hide the floor, because from what we saw so far they, probably, have some catch up work to do!
I don't think they are ahead or behind. Just depends on what they need the floor to do. Could stay that way all season if it works.

tpe
tpe

Of course!
But since I am not an aerodynamics engineer, I can only be impressed from other more "fancy" designs

Vanja #66

Stu wrote:
22 Feb 2022, 21:00
That is exactly what I think that they are doing. Other than the louvres the rules forbid cooling outlets within the wheelbase, I think that the outlet for this piece is where the suspension enters the bodywork (it looks to be quite oversized for it to be just for the suspension arm).
They had reasonably small side pods last year, I see no reason why they need all of the volume that they have now for cooling. The external bodywork can then be used to control the wheel wake (and keeping it away from the beam wing) - the CFD study by @Vanja66, @jjn9128 & @Vyssion shows that to good for drag reduction. The internal flow can then be used to ‘boost’ the beam wing flow.
This is a very interesting idea, now that so many other things are banned you need to look for solutions outside the box. However, I'm not 100% convinced yet. SF21 had quite a lot of openings, airbox was slightly larger and there was a larger opening under the airbox than F1-75 has. Overall, doesn't look too different, based only on total inlet surfaces.

If they did dedicate some amount of air going directly trough the sidepods and sausages, than they also had to make a big effort with manufacture since all those internal surfaces also have to have a perfect finish and with composites you usually have only one perfect side, the one in the tooling. To have both sides requires special manufacturing techniques which can eat up a lot of time and money.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Look at where they are blowing the radiators! There’s a huge hole which, in theory, could have just been made a much smaller inlet with a large outwashing surface like Mercedes’. They didn’t do that. There IS a reason, of course. We just don’t know fully what that is yet.

One thing is clear though - Ferrari DO know what that reason is.

As to the floor also being discussed, it was rumoured on Twitter that they are using the launch spec/show car spec floor and are bringing an update to Bahrain.

PlatinumZealot

No top mounted coolers, so this is a big guide vane or divider to send air around to another row of radiators?? Just throwing something out there.It can make sense to split the flow in parallel instead of in series. The ERS and gearbox coolers need fresh cool air, not stale air from the radiators.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

jumpingfish

AeroDynamic

I watched this earlier, in Summary of the concept: Scarbs says he never imagined that concept when he tried to come up with interpretations of the regs, and really can't tell if it will work or not (as in, genuinely unsure) very excited to see how they do.

that being said, its still a good watch to listen to him breakdown what he thinks about the concept

F1Krof

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 14:11
Vyssion wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 23:41
Vanja posted his CFD of the F1-75 just now (in particular comparing a base 2022 car to their interesting sidepod design), which I felt deserved it's own thread in the aero sub-forum. I have moved it to the Aero sub-forum so that his great work doesn't get lost in this car thread. Please continue the discussion and commenting there, thanks.

viewtopic.php?t=30249
Thanks Vyssion!

For those who might not want to read the full post, just a short recap - F1-75-like sidepod design adds several benefits compared to the base model. It reduced the overall car drag by 11% by reducing sidepod and rear tyre drag. The indent, the tub, is an area where some downforce is generated and this is very beneficial compared to Asto-like clean design. In fact, I'm pretty sure Aston Matin will try out this design very soon.

https://i.ibb.co/2ynvgv5/comp-iso.jpg
FYI, Scarbs mentioned your post on Youtube.
Wroom wroom

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

So the redbull has been seen. Similar concept to Ferrari, though seemingly more extreme in the undercut at the front of the sidepod - it still seems to go out wide and flat-sided like the Ferrari, but they are clearly looking for downwash off the back of the sidepods where Ferrari have their ‘tub’ sidepods (thanks Vanja for the name)

Morteza

Via @f1debrief

Via @Butch_on_Racing
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

AeroDynamic

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

The Venturi tunnel inlets on the leading edge of the Ferrari floor look so much smaller than other teams. Is it an optical illusion due to camera angle? Or? Anyone got an explanation?

Peter Ian Staker
Peter Ian Staker

JPBD1990 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 11:20
The Venturi tunnel inlets on the leading edge of the Ferrari floor look so much smaller than other teams. Is it an optical illusion due to camera angle? Or? Anyone got an explanation?

I think the sidepod just hides most of it.

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

Peter Ian Staker wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 11:23
JPBD1990 wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 11:20

I think the sidepod just hides most of it.
Good point, can anyone answer? Just look at leading edge of Ferrari. It is much smaller???

Vanja #66

It's not, sidepod is hiding it. Not the best angle comparison on those photos. Not one single team will deliberately lower the floor leading edge bellow the maximum height.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie