2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
F1Fan2018
F1Fan2018

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

dialtone wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 08:22
dans79 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 08:16
dialtone wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 08:13
I don't know, the last of those Ferrari floors tested today is identical to the McLaren floor, so unless Ferrari knew how the MCL-36 floor looked like before the test, they have produced it in 2 weeks.
I guarantee you Ferrari didn't develop and build the floor in 2 weeks!
Ok, how do you explain that it looks almost exactly the same?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNjf4XyXIAA ... ame=medium
Easy.... It doesn't.

zibby43
zibby43

F1Fan2018 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 08:44
dialtone wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 08:22
dans79 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 08:16

I guarantee you Ferrari didn't develop and build the floor in 2 weeks!
Ok, how do you explain that it looks almost exactly the same?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNjf4XyXIAA ... ame=medium
Easy.... It doesn't.
Haha! Seconded.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

zibby43 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 05:23
Mark Hughes wrote a detailed piece today on The Race explaining how the Merc was shutting off hybrid deployment on the straights.

It’s not a PU problem, as the Aston pulls strong. It’s a deliberate choice by Merc to turn down the wick on the straights.

He also explained how Ferrari historically carries more fuel than Merc.

Virtually no difference between C4 and C5 on this circuit. In sum, if you correct for those factors, the Merc and Ferrari performances we are seeing right now are virtually identical.

The caveat being, there are still many variables beyond that. But those are easy to account for. You can tell the top 3 aren’t showing anywhere near their full hand when a Haas is fastest lol.
His fuel calculation based on historical data is also not usable. It might be a 5 kg difference in general (however one comes to that conclusion), but we still don’t know how much fuel they are using on a particular run. Could be that Merc used 20 kg more on their ”quick” runs for all we know. All we do know is that Mercedes are never really showing their hand in testing, and there is even less reason to show their hand in a year like this.

zibby43
zibby43

Dee wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 06:34
zibby43 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 06:12
Dee wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 05:51

"It’s a deliberate choice by Merc to turn down the wick on the straights"

Isn't it due to the issue they have with porpoising? Saw a post that they can't go past a certain speed without it getting extremely bad, hence the "turn down the wick" on the straights
Nope. https://the-race.com/formula-1/mark-hug ... right-now/

Whoever posted what you saw was very wrong in that instance. Not even remotely responsible for what is seen in the traces lol.

I know the account you’re referring to. It’s decent at gathering the data but poor at interpreting it.
I just read the article there and nowhere in it does Hughes state that porpoising is not the reason for the lack of speed on the straights. He states an idea from Sainz as an explanation "So let’s just go with Sainz’s hypothesis for now"

He goes on to mention porpoising in the article

"As Hamilton alluded, the Mercedes was more frequently understeering off track (particularly at Turns 4 and 10) and its porpoising looked more severe"

Hamiltons quote

“You can see on the onboards we’re getting tank-slappers left, right and centre,” said Hamilton, “then bouncing and bumping. So, not quite happy at the moment but we’re trying to tame it…

Now, Merc could be pulling a blinder and actively not putting up their power but maybe, just maybe, they have to deal with their issues before they can go full beans
You’re going through a lot of mental gymnastics to not take the piece at face value.

I also find it a little humorous that you’re basically stating you know better than Sainz, who sees the team data.

zibby43
zibby43

Tvetovnato wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 09:26
zibby43 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 05:23
Mark Hughes wrote a detailed piece today on The Race explaining how the Merc was shutting off hybrid deployment on the straights.

It’s not a PU problem, as the Aston pulls strong. It’s a deliberate choice by Merc to turn down the wick on the straights.

He also explained how Ferrari historically carries more fuel than Merc.

Virtually no difference between C4 and C5 on this circuit. In sum, if you correct for those factors, the Merc and Ferrari performances we are seeing right now are virtually identical.

The caveat being, there are still many variables beyond that. But those are easy to account for. You can tell the top 3 aren’t showing anywhere near their full hand when a Haas is fastest lol.
His fuel calculation based on historical data is also not usable. It might be a 5 kg difference in general (however one comes to that conclusion), but we still don’t know how much fuel they are using on a particular run. Could be that Merc used 20 kg more on their ”quick” runs for all we know. All we do know is that Mercedes are never really showing their hand in testing, and there is even less reason to show their hand in a year like this.
It’s absolutely 100% useable because we are hypothesizing based on the best available data we have. And he’s basing that based on specific types of runs.

The teams consistently use these fuel load parameters over the years to have baseline references and procedures in place (for a host of reasons). It’s more logical to say they’ve kept these procedures in place than not when hypothesizing.

S E C T I O

According to Formulapassion.it: "from fifth gear onwards, the Mercedes Power Unit has a ratio between speed and rpm between 4.5% and 5% higher than the average of all the others on the track."
-§- Each section is wholeness. Oo==§==oO My english suck,sorry-§-

Dee
Dee

zibby43 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 09:29
Dee wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 06:34
zibby43 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 06:12

Nope. https://the-race.com/formula-1/mark-hug ... right-now/

Whoever posted what you saw was very wrong in that instance. Not even remotely responsible for what is seen in the traces lol.

I know the account you’re referring to. It’s decent at gathering the data but poor at interpreting it.
I just read the article there and nowhere in it does Hughes state that porpoising is not the reason for the lack of speed on the straights. He states an idea from Sainz as an explanation "So let’s just go with Sainz’s hypothesis for now"

He goes on to mention porpoising in the article

"As Hamilton alluded, the Mercedes was more frequently understeering off track (particularly at Turns 4 and 10) and its porpoising looked more severe"

Hamiltons quote

“You can see on the onboards we’re getting tank-slappers left, right and centre,” said Hamilton, “then bouncing and bumping. So, not quite happy at the moment but we’re trying to tame it…

Now, Merc could be pulling a blinder and actively not putting up their power but maybe, just maybe, they have to deal with their issues before they can go full beans
You’re going through a lot of mental gymnastics to not take the piece at face value.

I also find it a little humorous that you’re basically stating you know better than Sainz, who sees the team data.
If Mercedes are deliberately reducing power, no one knows why only themselves, and definitely not Sainz

I simply said that porpoising could be causing the team to actively detune so as not to ruin the car

I don't know how you can state that Sainz is correct (that Merc are playing a game) without evidence and then accuse me of mental gymnastics

Dee
Dee

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... earCache=1

An engineer promises us: "We're not bluffing. The problems with bouncing are real. And they're keeping us from understanding and developing the car at the moment." Nevertheless, caution is advised. Red Bull's GPS measurements show: The Mercedes is extremely fast in the slow corners.

zibby43
zibby43

AeroDynamic

yeah not surprising.. I doubt im the only one that could hear the difference from the onboards. The sound pitch has not been as aggressive to listen to compared to race weekends.

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

Lewis having a great race run now... car looking very stable..almost at 60 laps now

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

Definitely saw some onboards now, and it true... there harvesting lights on the rear wing was flashing evey where

DarthPlagueisTheVise
DarthPlagueisTheVise

I would say this was a really positive session. Porpoising seems to have been reduced without giving up too much performance and the car looked quite well balanced

Technical Noob

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

It is depressing what Lewis said for AMus or published by AMuS :(
,,"It feels very different now than last year. I think we're not that well positioned. The challenges are much greater now. It can't be solved in a week. I'm told we still have a lot of lap time to find. We still have a few problems to work through. We're definitely not the fastest car at the moment. Ferrari looks the best. Red Bull is probably behind them, then we or McLaren. But we're definitely not ahead. "

Neuron
Neuron

The question is if the porpoising has been reduced under 270 km/h will it be reduced also on 300?