2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2022 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, April 08 - 10

Sevach wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 17:42
Downforce pushing the car down and the lateral load(it's easy flat but it's still a turn) pushing it further down perhaps? And once the bouncing starts it's hard to stop.
That sounds very plausible.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

LM10
LM10

basti313 wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 14:25
chrisc90 wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 14:14
Been the same last races though. RB .3-.4secs behind then turn it up for qualifying and the race.

Wouldn’t read too much into the times
Absolutely. This was the case over many seasons now. Ferrari runs more power on Fridays and, thus, unlocks less on Sat compared to Merc and Bull since long time. It was just not visible in the last two years as they were not on the top in FPs by other reasons. But this was obvious in 2018, they use a bit of a different approach in FPs.
It’s not true that Ferrari used more power in FP sessions and unlocked less in qualifying in the current season.

What happened in the past is completely irrelevant anyway, in my opinion. We’ve seen many examples of “traditions” being broken this season.

sunny1304r
sunny1304r

According to the news Ferrari was busy evaluating their updates today, don't see any reason for their engine to turn up unnecessary.

JPower
JPower

LM10 wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 19:00
basti313 wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
Been the same last races though. RB .3-.4secs behind then turn it up for qualifying and the race.

Absolutely. This was the case over many seasons now. Ferrari runs more power on Fridays and, thus, unlocks less on Sat compared to Merc and Bull since long time. It was just not visible in the last two years as they were not on the top in FPs by other reasons. But this was obvious in 2018, they use a bit of a different approach in FPs.
It’s not true that Ferrari used more power in FP sessions and unlocked less in qualifying in the current season.

What happened in the past is completely irrelevant anyway, in my opinion. We’ve seen many examples of “traditions” being broken this season.
Exactly. Funny, people were claiming the same thing during testing and FP session in Bahrain before Charles put it on pole.

"Ferrari runs higher power modes during practice than the rest so they'll fall behind during quali"

Haven't seen any evidence on such in 2022.

Juzh

JPower wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 19:22
Exactly. Funny, people were claiming the same thing during testing and FP session in Bahrain before Charles put it on pole.

"Ferrari runs higher power modes during practice than the rest so they'll fall behind during quali"

LM10 wrote:
basti313 wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

If you look at relevant sessions this year gap from fp2 to q3 stayed almost the same between ferrari and red bull give or take a tenth here or there. I don't see why this would change suddenly. To me it looks they both operate on a very similar progression trough the weekend, even with regards to fuel loads on quali sims.

On the engine side it's the same story. Red bull gained 7 kmh on start/finish straight for example from fp2 to Q3 in saudi arabia and ferrari gained 5 kmh. So I'd say they're both holding back similar amount.

dialtone
dialtone

Haas seemed out of pace, and judging by Mick's telemetry, basically the only one I can gather from FastF1, for some reason MAG's doesn't work, but they took it exceedingly easy on corners. I think having only 2 cars means they are really optimizing for still having 2 cars right before quali. Their pace will probably again look similar to Alfa Romeo during quali.

MAG's race sim was on Hards:
HARD/12 Stint 5.0: 1:26.126
HARD/13 Stint 5.0: 1:25.528
HARD/14 Stint 5.0: 1:24.895
HARD/15 Stint 5.0: 1:24.802
HARD/16 Stint 5.0: 1:25.251

which doesn't really look that bad and somewhat in line with Alpine's race sim from ALO which was around 1:24.2 on Mediums about the same age as these Hards.

LM10
LM10

Juzh wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 19:26
JPower wrote:

LM10 wrote:
basti313 wrote:

If you look at relevant sessions this year gap from fp2 to q3 stayed almost the same between ferrari and red bull give or take a tenth here or there. I don't see why this would change suddenly. To me it looks they both operate on a very similar progression trough the weekend, even with regards to fuel loads on quali sims.

On the engine side it's the same story. Red bull gained 7 kmh on start/finish straight for example from fp2 to Q3 in saudi arabia and ferrari gained 5 kmh. So I'd say they're both holding back similar amount.
What I'm curious to find out in the future is if RedBull is taking it a bit easier with their PU and will turn it up later in the season, too. It has been reported by reliable sources that Ferrari is not running turned up yet, making sure the reliability is OK and will unleash more power with the PU number 2.

search

dialtone wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 19:35
Haas seemed out of pace, and judging by Mick's telemetry, basically the only one I can gather from FastF1, for some reason MAG's doesn't work, but they took it exceedingly easy on corners. I think having only 2 cars means they are really optimizing for still having 2 cars right before quali. Their pace will probably again look similar to Alfa Romeo during quali.
according to AMuS, Schumacher also had some technical problems, and Magnussen is sick. So there may be more to come indeed - unless they can't fix it, and/or Magnussen has to be replaced even.

LM10
LM10

JPower wrote:
LM10 wrote:
basti313 wrote:

I think people will keep claiming such things until they (hopefully) get proven wrong. :)

Neuron
Neuron

Re: Ferrari F1-75

It looks similar to Abu Dhabi - RBR faster on straights, Ferrari faster on corners. I am afraid that with 4 DRS zones it will be even better to have high speed on straights instead of good cornering...

Big Tea

search wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 21:17
dialtone wrote:
according to AMuS, Schumacher also had some technical problems, and Magnussen is sick. So there may be more to come indeed - unless they can't fix it, and/or Magnussen has to be replaced even.
What would be very interesting is if Hulk got to drive that car. Some have waited s long time for that comparison
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

search

Big Tea wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 22:02
search wrote:
dialtone wrote:
What would be very interesting is if Hulk got to drive that car. Some have waited s long time for that comparison
that would be interesting indeed, but I doubt he is around? Nor is Fittipaldi though, by the look of it. So no idea who would drive the car in case things get worse for Magnussen

edit: Fittipaldi (same as Giovinazzi) is indeed not in Australia. I guess the seat would go to Kubica then.

dialtone
dialtone

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Neuron wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 21:52
It looks similar to Abu Dhabi - RBR faster on straights, Ferrari faster on corners. I am afraid that with 4 DRS zones it will be even better to have high speed on straights instead of good cornering...
I'm not so sure. RBR ran lower downforce in FP1 and the car was terrible to drive, then in FP2 they put on higher downforce and they closed the gap, but are still a bit behind and the straights are not long enough to gain the massive time they did in Jeddah.

Wouter

search wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 22:18
Big Tea wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 22:02
search wrote:

that would be interesting indeed, but I doubt he is around? Nor is Fittipaldi though, by the look of it. So no idea who would drive the car in case things get worse for Magnussen

edit: Fittipaldi (same as Giovinazzi) is indeed not in Australia. I guess the seat would go to Kubica then.
Someone mentioned today Oscar Piastri. He is the reserve driver for the Alpine F1 Team and a reserve driver for McLaren F1 Team and he is in Melbourne at the moment.
The Power of Dreams!

Juzh

Vanja #66 wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 18:15
Sevach wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 17:42
Downforce pushing the car down and the lateral load(it's easy flat but it's still a turn) pushing it further down perhaps? And once the bouncing starts it's hard to stop.
That sounds very plausible.
Agreed, most likely that slight kink is having a big impact, unlikely as it may seem.