2022 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 09 - 11

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Re: 2022 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 09 - 11

Have we ever seen such a gap, so early in the season between the 1st and 2nd in the WDC ? 2011 ?

Logie
Logie

organic wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:59
Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:32
organic wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:29
P7->P1 another great race by max. Their lack of degradation won them the race
Better races by Sainz and Hamilton who came through the entire field to get 4th and 5th.
I don't see how they could be compared. Max was the 2nd fastest on track with 25 lap old softs still doing mid 25s. Looked after his tyres whilst setting very quick laps. He was fastest on track with used mediums compared to Leclerc's fresh softs.

Hamilton and Sainz were racing against cars that were 1-2s per lap slower and cut their way through. Max made the win look easy because he was past Russell by lap 4.

P18/p19->near podium is expected with a Ferrari/Merc at this stage. W13 had great pace on Sunday once again before you claim they didn't

But I imagine we'll have to agree to disagree
I agree, sainz did good even though they prob pitted him a bit late. Merc is a diff class in the race, also kind to its tyres

PlatinumZealot

grubschumi13 wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:31
Max is showing prodigious talent. He does not even have the fastest car and yet devastates all opposition. Simply unstoppable.
Agreed... he has a Newey rocket ship, not a car.. :mrgreen:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Verstappen was very fast on mediums, Leclercq on new soft was not impressive.

basti313
basti313

Dr. Acula wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:58
Shrieker wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:49
Dr. Acula wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:48

Look, people were pissed when last time the RD didn't follow the writen down SC procedure to the letter. So they changed that now, they follow it to the letter. That's what everybody wanted, wasn't it? So why are you now unhappy?
Because what they say, and what they do, are inconsistent ?
They said something like "we "try" to let the race end under green, if the rules allow it" didn't they? The rules didn't allow it today, so what? What we saw today, is what happens if they have to follow the rules to the letter, like a lot of people demanded just a about 10 months ago. Well, ofcourse it would have been wise to think the whole thing over and imagined for once what this could potentially cause...but nobody did, they were to busy to scream at a scapegoat.
RIP Masi.

If Masi would not have been killed by hamsters, we would have seen another epic race end. Down in the pack there was a luscious mix of old and new tires.
Don`t russel the hamster!

epo
epo

organic wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
organic wrote:
Better races by Sainz and Hamilton who came through the entire field to get 4th and 5th.
I don't see how they could be compared. Max was the 2nd fastest on track with 25 lap old softs still doing mid 25s. Looked after his tyres whilst setting very quick laps. He was fastest on track with used mediums compared to Leclerc's fresh softs.

Hamilton and Sainz were racing against cars that were 1-2s per lap slower and cut their way through. Max made the win look easy because he was past Russell by lap 4.

P18/p19->near podium is expected with a Ferrari/Merc at this stage. W13 had great pace on Sunday once again before you claim they didn't

I agree totally and Sainz had a good race with overtakes, Hamilton did basically nothing just driving and grabbed the position because of his faster car but added nothing to it.

N21
N21

epo wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 17:04
organic wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

I agree totally and Sainz had a good race with overtakes, Hamilton did basically nothing just driving and grabbed the position because of his faster car but added nothing to it.
Hamilton had a really lovely move on Gasly and one of the McLarens

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

organic wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
organic wrote:

Max passing Russell is no different to Hamilton / Sainz passing people further back. The RB18 is significantly faster, especially at the start of a race, than the W13.

Where the W13 seems to find race pace is by being able to keep the tyres going for longer and thus gaining as others start to fall back with their tyres. The RB18 is just fast from start to finish, especially with Max doing a great job of driving it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

organic

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 17:06
organic wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Max passing Russell is no different to Hamilton / Sainz passing people further back. The RB18 is significantly faster, especially at the start of a race, than the W13.

Where the W13 seems to find race pace is by being able to keep the tyres going for longer and thus gaining as others start to fall back with their tyres. The RB18 is just fast from start to finish, especially with Max doing a great job of driving it.
Ah yes must be why Russell dropped straight out of Max's DRS and fell way behind in the first stint.. oh wait

Big Tea

basti313 wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 17:03
Dr. Acula wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:58
Shrieker wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:49

Because what they say, and what they do, are inconsistent ?
They said something like "we "try" to let the race end under green, if the rules allow it" didn't they? The rules didn't allow it today, so what? What we saw today, is what happens if they have to follow the rules to the letter, like a lot of people demanded just a about 10 months ago. Well, ofcourse it would have been wise to think the whole thing over and imagined for once what this could potentially cause...but nobody did, they were to busy to scream at a scapegoat.
RIP Masi.

If Masi would not have been killed by hamsters, we would have seen another epic race end. Down in the pack there was a luscious mix of old and new tires.
Lets start a 'Bring back Masi' Campaign. :twisted:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

epo wrote:
organic wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Did nothing? It's fine disliking a guy but you make yourself look a bit silly saying stuff like that.

PlatinumZealot

Shrieker wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:46
the poster below wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:43
Perplexed by Ferrari 'strategy'... Well done to Verstappen, very reminiscent of 2011 and 2013.
Ferrari just didn't have enough oomph today. Lec on fresh softs vs. Max on used meds in the last stint was very telling. Max easily had him covered. It took something like 10 laps for Lec to close a measly 1 second with Max... Whichever way they'd have gone with strategy, Max/Bull would've have them beat. And remember, this is with 10 seconds or so Ferrari made up on Max by pitting under the VSC. Max would've won by a country mile today.
This!!!

You don't start seventh and pick off five cars to chase the leader, and
Lose out on a chance to put under VSC losing TEN seconds, and
Walk away from soft tyre shod rival while you on tyres from FP1...
Without having a dominant machine.

There was nothing Ferrari could have done better.

The unfortunate things was that Leclerc was 16 seconds behind Max before the SC then it grew to 22 seconds AFTER. I am not sure what happened there, but race controll seemed to call the car out at timing to advantage Max.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 11 Sep 2022, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

organic wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 17:07
Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 17:06
organic wrote:

Ah yes must be why Russell dropped straight out of Max's DRS and fell way behind in the first stint.. oh wait
Yes - the Merc isn't as fast as the Red Bull. You've just proved my point, well done. =D>

mendis
mendis

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 17:09
epo wrote:
organic wrote:

Did nothing? It's fine disliking a guy but you make yourself look a bit silly saying stuff like that.
A restart would have costed the position for Lewis with Checo behind him with fresher softs.

Cs98
Cs98

Dr. Acula wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:48
Shrieker wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:42
mendis wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 16:26
Well, nobody liked it last time around and got Masi fired for it. Why regret?
I'm specifically talking about what the FIA/FOM officials had said to cover for Masi after that farce. If that was true, we would've seen something done about it today. Which is further proof that they had their faces in the cake and were desperately throwing everything and the kitchen sink at the issue to cover for their ineptitude at best, malice at worst.
Look, people were pissed when last time the RD didn't follow the writen down SC procedure to the letter. So they changed that now, they follow it to the letter. That's what everybody wanted, wasn't it? So why are you now unhappy?
They aren't unhappy because they followed the rules (that's what they said they wanted the RD to do since AD), they're unhappy because Verstappen won. Verstappen win = whine about anything and everything. Simplest equation you'll ever come across. No need to analyze their statements, just use the equation and this forum is solved.