2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Mansell89 wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 01:57
So is the engine essentially able to run at higher performance if they can sort out reliability? (As we can’t actually develop performance in an engine freeze)

Is that one of the things that held back performance in the second half of 2022 season?
Yes. They started the season conservatively and gradually turned the power around Spain. Then we saw the failures in Spain, Baku, Austria. From Spa they ran a nerfed PU. Possibly less so in Monza...because home GP, then back to heavily nerfed for the rest of the season.

What I think is interesting is that while we know they had the nerfed PU, Mexico really was something else entirely. Sainz suggested this may be a "feature". That Ferrari chose the compromise because there is only 1 GP at 2300m altitude and you wouldn't design a PU around it.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Mansell89 wrote:
So is the engine essentially able to run at higher performance if they can sort out reliability? (As we can’t actually develop performance in an engine freeze)

Is that one of the things that held back performance in the second half of 2022 season?
Yes any power unit is able to be run at a higher performance if and when reliability problems are sorted.
FERRARI homologated the 066/7 with a known reliability problems after a certain number of hours running. They chose to push forward with their aggressive developed concept which actually needed more dyno development to sort out. At around end of season it was reported that they had solved their reliability problems. FERRARI did not start the season running their power unit in a conservative way, the did so (wind the output back/lower the output) at about halfway through the season when reliability showed up.
Last edited by saviour stivala on 05 Dec 2022, 08:28, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

saviour stivala wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 08:21
Mansell89 wrote:

FERRARI did not start the season running their power unit in a conservative way, the did so (wind the output back/lower the output) at about halfway through the season when reliability showed up.
I can't find the sources but this is incorrect. Wear and reliability was evaluated at reduced power in the first 4-5 races. Ferrari saw no issues and turned the power up. Then it went bang in Spain, Baku, Austria.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

As I said, FERRARI homologated their 066/7 with a known reliability problem after a certain number of hours running accumulated at maximum power. they know about whereabout to expect reliability to hit running time wise. As such they did not need to start the season on conservative power. Binotto himself said that later in the season they had to lower their power output until their problems were fixed.
FERRARI reliability problems were not due to wear of engine parts, it was reported that the problem was caused by spark plugs burnouts running at sustained max power after a certain running time resulting in engine destruction.
Last edited by saviour stivala on 05 Dec 2022, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Having to go into a race with forced reduced power because of reliability problems is certainly having to start a race on the back foot. And facts show that FERRARI certainly didn't start the season on the back foot, at least not until after the Spanish GP. Up to that point the FERRARI power unit was at least a match if not more powerful than the Honda in the Red Bull car.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

saviour stivala wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 09:46
As I said, FERRARI homologated their 066/7 with a known reliability problem after a certain number of hours running accumulated at maximum power. they know about whereabout to expect reliability to hit running time wise. As such they did not need to start the season on conservative power. Binotto himself said that later in the season they had to lower their power output until their problems were fixed.
I'm sorry but you are wrong. It's not easy for me to find the article because it's in italian and it won't come up without searching in italian language. I suspect that Xyz22 knows the article I am speaking of and would have an easier time finding it.

It was planned to increase the power level of 066/7 progressively. The first races were not at full power.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Not impossible for me to be wrong, but If at the first races (of the season) the FERRARI engine was not at full power it can then be likened to a real rocket.

RonMexico
RonMexico

saviour stivala wrote:
FERRARI reliability problems were not due to wear of engine parts, it was reported that the problem was caused by spark plugs burnouts running at sustained max power after a certain running time resulting in engine destruction.
They definitely turned up the power a handful of races in to the season

danypons8

With the engines freeze, you cannot develop your PU for increase the HP.
But with the permisions of the FIA, you can develop your PU for increase de reability.
The only think you need is send to FIA an inform with your reability problems arround all the season, including your clients.
If you had a recipe who can do a really strong engine, with a new and better reability, you can "extract more power" of de PU with new engine maps more agressives.
Ferrari had more problems in the real engine than Renault.
A lot of problems of Renault come from water pump (new small pump).

Mansell89
Mansell89

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 02:25
Mansell89 wrote:

Yes. They started the season conservatively and gradually turned the power around Spain. Then we saw the failures in Spain, Baku, Austria. From Spa they ran a nerfed PU. Possibly less so in Monza...because home GP, then back to heavily nerfed for the rest of the season.

What I think is interesting is that while we know they had the nerfed PU, Mexico really was something else entirely. Sainz suggested this may be a "feature". That Ferrari chose the compromise because there is only 1 GP at 2300m altitude and you wouldn't design a PU around it.
Thanks very much everyone. Really appreciate it.

In terms of Ferrari PU versus the competition, are we aware whether Mercedes have the same ability to run harder if they become more reliable? For the first time in hybrid didn’t seem like the best engine on paper anymore- (although people say it was drag related?)

Hondas deployment was also mentioned as a strength (LH interview), and then the PU that really fascinates me is Renault, who surely have some reliability upgrade opportunities to come given their failings.

I thought Ferrari were a little unlucky on the engine front this season and with the TD also impacting their performance, I think they could very much bounce back next season.

Swed3121
Swed3121

Mansell89 wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 22:55
AR3-GP wrote:
Mansell89 wrote:

In terms of Ferrari PU versus the competition, are we aware whether Mercedes have the same ability to run harder if they become more reliable? For the first time in hybrid didn’t seem like the best engine on paper anymore- (although people say it was drag related?)

Hondas deployment was also mentioned as a strength (LH interview), and then the PU that really fascinates me is Renault, who surely have some reliability upgrade opportunities to come given their failings.

I thought Ferrari were a little unlucky on the engine front this season and with the TD also impacting their performance, I think they could very much bounce back next season.
Considering that there was only 2 merc PU related retirements this year, both after contact with another driver, they either built a bulletproof engine with a few percent less top end than the other or they ran the entire season on a decreased setting to save engine wear and therefore penalties, afaik no Mercedes engines car went above 4 units while some of the other teams went above 6 on some cars

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Swed3121 wrote:
07 Dec 2022, 11:55
Mansell89 wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 22:55
AR3-GP wrote:

Considering that there was only 2 merc PU related retirements this year, both after contact with another driver, they either built a bulletproof engine with a few percent less top end than the other or they ran the entire season on a decreased setting to save engine wear and therefore penalties, afaik no Mercedes engines car went above 4 units while some of the other teams went above 6 on some cars
Merc engine also had issues. You have to look carefully. Lando Norris and Mclaren had a very problematic PU in first half of the year. Then Ricciardo broke down in Monza race without contact.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 19:47
I wonder what Cyril Abiteboul is doing these days....
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/form ... /10408793/

Cyril Abiteboul 100% not going to happen. Set to become Hyundai WRC team boss.

wowgr8
wowgr8

saviour stivala wrote:
I thought the issue was to do with the turbo? Which would explain their Mexico performance. When we heard Leclerc and Zhou engines go in Spain they both went out with the turbo flutter, and Charles would drive it back to the pits so the ICE still worked.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

wowgr8 wrote:
08 Dec 2022, 15:03
saviour stivala wrote:
I thought the issue was to do with the turbo? Which would explain their Mexico performance. When we heard Leclerc and Zhou engines go in Spain they both went out with the turbo flutter, and Charles would drive it back to the pits so the ICE still worked.
Ferrari had many PU issues.

Overheating Turbo, overheating spark plug, an issue with the valve seals.