Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
djos

Re: Red Bull RB5

vasia wrote:Interesting slit along and below the shark fin, likely for cooling.

Not new, they've been able to open and close this section from day 1!

Note the removable section around the sting at Launch:
"In downforce we trust"

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

I'm surprised they need additional cooling in Turkey. Very curious.

ISLAMATRON

Turkey has allways been hot... and we all know how tight Newey like to package his cars.

vasia
vasia

djos wrote:

Not new, they've been able to open and close this section from day 1!

Note the removable section around the sting at Launch:
You're right. I guess I don't recall them opening it at other races.

di44ety
di44ety

kNt
kNt

di44ety wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI_Aw0cQjAM[/youtube]
To bad, they're rendering skills are so great but their wrong again. RedBull have some intke scoops on the underfloor, no slots.

TheChad
TheChad

Sure it's not exactly accurate, but close enough.

The real implementation is perhaps just pulling air from a slightly different position, same effect just rendered slightly wrong.

Much better than their early render of the brawn floor, which highlighted they didn't understand what was happening at all!

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

The other point they don't get is that the airflow is enhanced by the rear wing, thus the exit air flows up much more than in the graphic. The second revision of the Brawn also took advantage of the lower wing element by opening the upper port more forward in the chassis. At least they are trying! I wish we had a show like that here in the states.
TheChad wrote:Sure it's not exactly accurate, but close enough.

The real implementation is perhaps just pulling air from a slightly different position, same effect just rendered slightly wrong.

Much better than their early render of the brawn floor, which highlighted they didn't understand what was happening at all!

mstar
mstar

it seems everyone copies the brawn as a base idea and then try to amend it to suit their car. It seems the genral aproach is to work in iterations, refining the DDD each time. I lost count how many renault/ferrari revisions we seen (ok depends on circuit too)

its interesting to see if redbull revise the DDD for silverstone

Metar

I thought Alonso said the R29 is essentially unchanged since Bahrain?

ISLAMATRON

Metar wrote:I thought Alonso said the R29 is essentially unchanged since Bahrain?
It was the first new car with the DDD, and his bitch ass is still complaining... he needs to focus just as much on their poor race stategy as much as he does on complaining in the press.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

I have no way of knowing but I would say RB will probably come out with maybe a revised splitter area behind the front wheels to try to build vortexes for the diffuser and maybe a revised front wing to go with it. Probably the only way to increase the down force at this point is to go back and refine the front of the car. Remember aero always begins at the nose of the car, then back.
mstar wrote:it seems everyone copies the brawn as a base idea and then try to amend it to suit their car. It seems the genral aproach is to work in iterations, refining the DDD each time. I lost count how many renault/ferrari revisions we seen (ok depends on circuit too)

its interesting to see if redbull revise the DDD for silverstone

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

mstar wrote:It seems the genral aproach is to work in iterations, refining the DDD each time.
Erm... that is how engineering works.

Start then iterate.

A good starting point is a big plus.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Here is a question - is there a limit to how wide the rear crash structure can be?

wesley123
wesley123

kilcoo316 wrote:Here is a question - is there a limit to how wide the rear crash structure can be?
i believe there is, 150mm actually.

Else toyota would have made theirs much wider so it can have a much wider extra deck as extension.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender