Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
delsando53
delsando53

Re: Ferrari SF23

Watch the video from 1.18 - 1.21 , play it on 0.25 slow speed and see if you notice something, active suspension ?
The car is fairly low and parallel before braking point into the turn, as soon it's entering the braking zone , before lift off the rear suspension gets dynamic (the rear of the car stiffness and more rake is observed before the brake is applied?

I'm no mechanic or engineer , just wanted to know whats happening?

LostInTranslation
LostInTranslation

Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 11:48
Forgot to note another big change to front wing, by keeping the central fixed-angle section closer to the nose they have increased the surface of the wing that flexes at speed. This means they will have bigger front wig drag reduction than F1-75 at higher speeds. This was one of many small advantages RB18 had.
It's the first thing I noticed. Perhaps it was because last year I was very inflexible on this point, seeing that all the teams had adopted this attack of the upper element of the FW very close to the nose cone, in order to make it more flexible (and sensitive) to speed increases.

I understand the limitations of the BC, but I wonder if deliberating a new specification of the front wing could have resulted in an unsustainable increase in the BC.

I do not think so.

They could have earned those 3/4 KMH more in the straight which, apart from the weakened engine, could have made the fight more interesting.

Vanja #66

LostInTranslation wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 16:50
It's the first thing I noticed. Perhaps it was because last year I was very inflexible on this point, seeing that all the teams had adopted this attack of the upper element of the FW very close to the nose cone, in order to make it more flexible (and sensitive) to speed increases.

I understand the limitations of the BC, but I wonder if deliberating a new specification of the front wing could have resulted in an unsustainable increase in the BC.

I do not think so.

They could have earned those 3/4 KMH more in the straight which, apart from the weakened engine, could have made the fight more interesting.
What do you mean by BC? :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

LostInTranslation
LostInTranslation

Budget cap

Vanja #66

Ah, right! :D Agreed, budget cap likely wasn't the reason not to introduce different front wing. I believe the team used the extra development time last year to focus on integration of all the design changes, especially aerodynamic interaction of front wing, fron suspension and the floor. In my view, the only thing that can be carried over from last year are 2-3 rear wing designs from later in the season.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

kediown

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... /10433049/
Ferrari is making the paddock debate with the SF-23: the engineers of the cavallino did not hide the solutions they decided to introduce on the new red car already at the first lap on the track held at Fiorano during the presentation that took place on the home track, in a scenario that allowed to taste a genuine, authentic air.

On display was not a livery, not a rendering perhaps camouflaged in Photoshop to hide those details you don't want to show until collective testing in Bahrain next week, but there was the whole car. Real, very real in all its beauty.

To fans of the Cavallino, the curvy, eye-catching forms may become seductive, but fans expect a competitive Ferrari that can challenge Max Verstappen's Red Bull and the Mercedes of Lewis Hamilton and George Russell. After all, the team principal, Fred Vasseur, has been clear from the first statements: "The Scuderia will aim for two world titles, because Maranello lacks nothing to be a winner."

And, then, it was the technical aspect that took over: the Ferrari did not hide, but decided to take to the track without the mask. The front wing, redesigned like the shorter nose, immediately caused discussion for those five small carbon slots that tie the last flap to the third element. Maranello reintroduced that solution that the FIA had rejected to Mercedes in last year's Mexican GP.

All it took was to remove a little word, "mainly," from the 2023 technical regulations to make perfectly legal a concept that the Star wanted to pass off as a series of structural supports, while they had a distinct aerodynamic function.

But the redhead also exhibited another novelty, a technical first that is bound to make engineers, observers and analysts debate. David Sanchez, creative Head of Vehicle Concept, identified areas of the SF-23 where it should be possible to look for performance, and the team of aerodynamicists led by Diego Tondi, Head of Aero Development, came up with an S-duct.

Not under the nose as we had seen just on Ferrari in 2008, but on the SF-23 the S-duct ingeniously connects the open vertical slot at the root of the chassis, just below the of the radiator port, with a duct that vents the flow from a two-stage periscope that blows over the hollowed-out part of the belly.

And immediately the speculation started as to what this system could be used for: some people spoke of the vertical intake as a tool aimed at cooling the ECUs and those parts that until last year could find a place in the cockpit, while now the cockpit must have been freed of any accessories for just safety reasons.

Others have interpreted the "periscope" as an additional cooling intake, considering that Ferrari has smaller radiators than those fitted on the F1-75.

In reality, the narrow air vent seen on the sides of the cockpit does not directly extract heat from the bellies: if anything, with the cool flow coming from under the inlets, it is possible to speed up the suction of hot air from the gills, allowing better fluid dynamics inside the bellies and, therefore, the louvers may be smaller to the benefit of aerodynamic efficiency.

And, having found out what the system was called by the Cavallino's engineers, all doubts have melted away: inside the Racing Department we talk about "bypass duct," so from this moment we adopt this name identifying an innovative solution that is bound to make people talk in the coming days.

The FIA, for example, has not yet wanted to express an opinion on the idea of Dondi's staff, because the checks on the legality of the cars are not yet finished and there will be thorough checks in Bahrain.

Ferrari certainly has informed the International Federation about its desire to introduce the "bypass duct," complying with a technical regulation that since last year has required compliance with volumes and not measurements, so feedback on certain ideas becomes complicated if you do not have a CAD program.

In the wind tunnel, Tondi and his staff (there are about 20 of them) must have seen some benefits, and judging by the smiles on the smiles of the drivers, Leclerc and Sainz, after yesterday's filming day, and the data collected on the track at Fiorano, confirmation must have come to the numbers seen in the simulation programs.
Last edited by kediown on 16 Feb 2023, 19:20, edited 2 times in total.

LostInTranslation
LostInTranslation

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 18:35
Ah, right! :D Agreed, budget cap likely wasn't the reason not to introduce different front wing. I believe the team used the extra development time last year to focus on integration of all the design changes, especially aerodynamic interaction of front wing, fron suspension and the floor. In my view, the only thing that can be carried over from last year are 2-3 rear wing designs from later in the season.
Yes, basically they have devoted their money to studying and presenting different versions of the rear wing. Front wing has remained unchanged since the first GP. All season long. Incredible.

While the other teams gained speed on the straight, Ferrari never had the speed to defend due to its detuned engine.

For this season I launch a prediction: Ferrari to beat in the first part, the second depends on the studies and developments that I, if I were a TP, would put a team of engineers to work immediately in (six months of obscure work behind the scenes between now and the summer break).

On a side note: waiting for your aero comparisons on different cars...

Xyz22
Xyz22

Nugnes and Piola from Motorsport.it are completely unleashed :lol: :lol:

Stu

Giando wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 18:57
Pictures are coming in...

https://postimg.cc/ctG9g5Gc

https://postimg.cc/8jHKcHKh
Almost looks like an evolution of the old zero-keel designs?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

gordonthegun

There seems to be a small bank (where the white lines are) at the beginning of the floor and then a short depression on the floor edge.
Nothing at the end of the floor. Will this remain the same in Bahrain?

FDD
FDD

PhillipM wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 14:33
wowgr8 wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 11:34
How exactly does that "antidive" arrangement like we saw on the Red Bull impact performance?
Its not 'antidive' unless it's the upper wishbone canted backwards compared to the bottom, a lot of people keep making this mistake.
Canting both wishbones backwards together is actually pro-dive.
It looks like that the both wishbones are canted backwards.

gordonthegun

PhillipM
PhillipM

delsando53 wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 15:15
It's this magic thing, called 'brakes'

Giando

Stu wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 22:04
Giando wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 18:57
Pictures are coming in...

https://postimg.cc/ctG9g5Gc

https://postimg.cc/8jHKcHKh
Almost looks like an evolution of the old zero-keel designs?
it's possibile... but we haven't understand yet if it is all about the suspension or if it is a shape whose main purposes are aerodynamics... the area is always very 'hidden' or dark in the pictures... i guess we'll have to wait for hi-res photos from the testing session to understand the precise shape of the carbon chassis there!

delsando53
delsando53

PhillipM wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 01:31
delsando53 wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 15:15
It's this magic thing, called 'brakes'
Its before he brakes , its during acceleration listen to the revs